Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: Promos and teasers (contains spoilers)

I think they made the perfect decision on how many nights a week to air for the format they've chosen. Imo 4 or 5 nights a week for masterchef is ridiculous. If they did two nights for BB it would be too little. I think they'll end up doing 1 and a half hour shows including commercials but for me personally 1 hour is enough. I remember someone in the TV industry saying Australia knows how to stretch out RTV and it's certainly true. I think this is why lots of people choose to watch TV series/movies over RTV cause RTV episodes go for too long and you could be commiting to up to 4 months for some shows.

I think why Endemol wanted to try this new format was because they were worried noone would commit to minimum 4 nights a week for 3 months. I know not everyone watches every episode but the thought of having to keep up with something for three months can get draining.

If you look at Love Island UK the last season flopped abit cause not alot of peops were willing to commit to it again after a 5 month break.

Doesn't big brother USA do three nights a week?
Yep. Usual format is Thursday eviction/start of HoH comp, Sunday HoH Comp result and Nominations (with the episode ending after the Noms are revealed), and then Wednesday PoV Comp and Veto Ceremony (with the show ending once the Veto ceremony is over). From time to time they may end an episode on a cliffhanger and show the payoff at the start of the next episode (for example, sometimes making the nominees final at the beginning of the live eviction episode).

It'll be interesting to see how this translates to Aus, though -- considering there's been no mention of a Veto being in play as far as I'm aware.

I think they made the perfect decision on how many nights a week to air for the format they've chosen. Imo 4 or 5 nights a week for masterchef is ridiculous. If they did two nights for BB it would be too little. I think they'll end up doing 1 and a half hour shows including commercials but for me personally 1 hour is enough. I remember someone in the TV industry saying Australia knows how to stretch out RTV and it's certainly true. I think this is why lots of people choose to watch TV series/movies over RTV cause RTV episodes go for too long and you could be commiting to up to 4 months for some shows.

I think why Endemol wanted to try this new format was because they were worried noone would commit to minimum 4 nights a week for 3 months. I know not everyone watches every episode but the thought of having to keep up with something for three months can get draining.

If you look at Love Island UK the last season flopped abit cause not alot of peops were willing to commit to it again after a 5 month break.

Except that's not true at all. Most movies and TV shows don't rate on TV right now. It's the reality shows which are getting the higher ratings. That is the major reason reality shows take up so much of the schedule.

Love Island UK did not flop at all. Its ratings were on par with season 4. The extremely high ratings for season 5 were an outlier and even then the average ratings for the entire season were only down 1.6 million people. Which is extremely impressive given that was the first time the show was airing in that part of the year.

Something isn't adding up... Reports say 20 to 22 HM's so at 3 episodes a week for 7 weeks there just isn't enough time unless each episode is a full eviction cycle. I think this is another one of TVBlackBox's bullshit stories.

Except that's not true at all. Most movies and TV shows don't rate on TV right now. It's the reality shows which are getting the higher ratings. That is the major reason reality shows take up so much of the schedule.
I was referring to people choosing Netflix/streaming services over RTV generally.

Also Love island did do well, but losing 1.6 mil is a lot of peops and I think that was due to the small gap they had between seasons and also cause of how many nights a week it is on.

Something isn't adding up... Reports say 20 to 22 HM's so at 3 episodes a week for 7 weeks there just isn't enough time unless each episode is a full eviction cycle. I think this is another one of TVBlackBox's bullshit stories.
I think there would have to be an eviction every episode cause article said 22 eps if it is to be believed. Show must’ve tooken inspiration from survivor.

Imo that’s abit full on and if that’s the case the whole show would be strat talk which is bad.

I think there would have to be an eviction every episode cause article said 22 eps if it is to be believed. Show must’ve tooken inspiration from survivor.

Imo that’s abit full on and if that’s the case the whole show would be strat talk which is bad.

If they’re just regular 60 minute episodes it’s going to be a tall order with an eviction an episode.

If there were to be an eviction an episode, assuming they are one hour and a half, episodes could look something like this:
10 mins for challenge?
You would really only need 1 minute for a nomination ceremony (assuming they have one)
5-10 minutes for eviction for process.
That would leave about 35 mins of content left.
Personally, being realistic, I would like to see 25 of these mins towards strategy and other 10 mins to general conversation.
I have a feeling we may be seeing as little as 30 seconds-5 mins of general convo an episode.

I think there’s a possibility that episodes could go for 1 hour and 40 mins including commercials cause I know one year with mkr, episodes were at either 1 hour and 40 mins or 2 hours including commercials. And 1 hour and 40 mins was recently seen with survivor this year.

Not necessarily - its because networks need to reach a certain level of 'Australian content' and reality tv is super cheap to produce (vs a scripted production)

I feel sorry for you as it would appear any narration for this series will be the BB voice. If the current adverts are anything to go off of...
I suspect it'll be produced similarly to the US/Canada with minimal narration - and that Sonia will probably do whatever narration is required. A bad narrator kills the series though - everytime I went back to try and watch BBUK I was reminded how much I hated Marcus and couldn't get past it.

It's been looking like it would be a cycle per episode from all the info that's been coming through, so produced very similarly to Survivor. It is possible, as they'll be broadcast as 90 min episodes with ads I'm sure, but leaves little room for the activities of daily life which I think some fans of the BBAU of old are expecting, a balance which probably needed to be struck to encourage fans of old to watch the new format. Australian Survivor usually has a reward, immunity and (lengthy) tribal within that time frame so HoH, Noms, Veto and the eviction vote should be possible. I suspect they'll begin episodes with the HoH rather than have them at the end of the eviction so they are all somewhat self contained. Each half hour in that 90 minutes is then basically one episode of the usual US/Canada cycle.

I do think though a 2-episode cycle would have made more sense - especially now when you'd expect them to be looking to stretch out content and in theory they'd be able to go back through what they filmed and flesh it out. Ultimately though I guess if that is what Endemol have been contracted to do, that is what they are doing.

Why cant big brother 2020 air like this:

- Sunday night (weekly show which airs highlights of the housemates monday to friday period)
- Monday night (weekend show which airs highlights of the housemates saturday to sunday period)
- Tuesday night (games show of which the lowest two scoring housemates are up for eviction)
- Wednesday night (eviction show of which the housemates vote for the two nominated housemates)
- Thursday night (uplate show which airs extra footage that is commented on by media personalities)

What do you think?

Last edited:

- Sunday night (weekly show which airs highlights of the housemates monday to friday period)
- Monday night (weekend show which airs highlights of the housemates saturday to sunday period)
- Tuesday night (games show of which the lowest two scoring housemates are up for eviction)
- Wednesday night (eviction show of which the housemates vote for the two nominated housemates)
- Thursday night (uplate show which airs extra footage that is commented on by media personalities)

What do you think?

That would turn it into a 20 week season. One eviction cycle per episode with what I suspect will be a fairly robust set of online content (similar to a daily show) seems more likely.

What do you think?

No

I suspect it'll be produced similarly to the US/Canada with minimal narration - and that Sonia will probably do whatever narration is required. A bad narrator kills the series though - everytime I went back to try and watch BBUK I was reminded how much I hated Marcus and couldn't get past it.

It's been looking like it would be a cycle per episode from all the info that's been coming through, so produced very similarly to Survivor. It is possible, as they'll be broadcast as 90 min episodes with ads I'm sure, but leaves little room for the activities of daily life which I think some fans of the BBAU of old are expecting, a balance which probably needed to be struck to encourage fans of old to watch the new format. Australian Survivor usually has a reward, immunity and (lengthy) tribal within that time frame so HoH, Noms, Veto and the eviction vote should be possible. I suspect they'll begin episodes with the HoH rather than have them at the end of the eviction so they are all somewhat self contained. Each half hour in that 90 minutes is then basically one episode of the usual US/Canada cycle.

I do think though a 2-episode cycle would have made more sense - especially now when you'd expect them to be looking to stretch out content and in theory they'd be able to go back through what they filmed and flesh it out. Ultimately though I guess if that is what Endemol have been contracted to do, that is what they are doing.

Seems odd considering Seven said at their up fronts that the big push for 2020 was stripped programming Sunday - Thursday.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if this format had little to no narration... The only reason I said what I did was due to the style they’ve been going for in the adverts so far. It also seems to suit the style of the voice they’re using... This BB seems to be much more hands on than in previous series.

Back