Skip to main content

Beauty and the Geek

Miiiiike

Is this show for real?

I call total bullshit on the show.
I believe they take average and good looking guys (actors), give them a pair of glasses, tell them to grow a beard, give them a shitty wardrobe from the salvos and call them geeks.

I cannot bring myself to watch a full episode, but catch a few minutes here and there.

Thoughts?

Well its partly true. I worked on a production with a geek and grilled him about it and then a former coworker had a friend on the previous series so she gave me the dirt. Totally set up but not necessarily fake. Like, they try to find genuinely geeky guys and genuinely ditzy girls, but they have to find the right casting combination and that can often involved stretching the pool a little. They don't get actors to play a role per se and all the jobs listed are real, but they do dress the guys to be especially geeky and tell the girls to play it up big time - most of the time the girls are actually fairly smart. A lot of them have gone to uni but it gets buried by production in favour of more vapid pursuits which are also true.

Well its partly true. I worked on a production with a geek and grilled him about it and then a former coworker had a friend on the previous series so she gave me the dirt. Totally set up but not necessarily fake. Like, they try to find genuinely geeky guys and genuinely ditzy girls, but they have to find the right casting combination and that can often involved stretching the pool a little. They don't get actors to play a role per se and all the jobs listed are real, but they do dress the guys to be especially geeky and tell the girls to play it up big time - most of the time the girls are actually fairly smart. A lot of them have gone to uni but it gets buried by production in favour of more vapid pursuits which are also true.

Yeah I'm ok with this. It makes for fun tv.

I don't know if the prize money is real. That's what I have wondered. Fair enough if they want to make this contrived situation, but I don't think they should really get prize money if they aren't genuine, because that kinda defeats the whole purpose of the show.

Hah I knew it had to be at least partially set up.

My wife hates it when I say things like "this is so fake, they're all actors, geeks don't really look like that" she says I ruin TV for her because she's the type to believe everyone's story.

...my wife watches basically every reality TV show that's going... she watched just one show of this and said that it was crap... that's usually a great indication to me not to bother watching it!... she's like my 'crap show' barometer lol!... what you say makes sense to me though Miiiiike... I believe that they 'supergeek' them up prior to being on the show too... cheers.

My all time favourite reality show is where you can watch real geeks, Nerds FC, series 1 & 2, on SBS.

1st series is the best. Utterly loveable, adorable guys, who are absolutely the real deal - it looks like they went to Unis and gathered them from all the nerd clubs.
Anyway, they have never played sport or team games, Socceroos/Institute of sport train & coach them to play a real game against a real team.
This was all done around the time we qualified for the World Cup that first time for decades.
It is the sweetest show.

This Beauty & Geeks, watched one of the first US ones and it was sweet, seemed like genuine friendships formed, same with the 1st Aussie one.
More than 1-2 series, the concept seems boring.

I am a MAD reality TV watcher, but this show is a step too far for me. It is just too contrived.

I watched last week and I will watch this week - only because I love the makeovers. Sometimes you can tell that they will be ok when they remove all the extra stuff - but sometimes you get a nice surprise. And some of them sometimes still look geeky.

Back