Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

That's not great news - the only thing C5 were creative about was the application of the rules.

I am glad they've gone for something different with the hosting - AJ is so much better than a decade ago and just an effortless host now. Not seen much of Will Best since T4 a decade ago but he's probably as close as they could get to Dermot. That said with these things often the obvious choice replaces the risky choice a year or two later, so I wouldn't rule out Rylan returning down the line should the show continue.

That's not great news - the only thing C5 were creative about was the application of the rules.

I am glad they've gone for something different with the hosting - AJ is so much better than a decade ago and just an effortless host now. Not seen much of Will Best since T4 a decade ago but he's probably as close as they could get to Dermot. That said with these things often the obvious choice replaces the risky choice a year or two later, so I wouldn't rule out Rylan returning down the line should the show continue.
The vast majority of issues with the C5 era were dictated by network executives rather than coming from production themselves. In the revolving door of production members from that era we saw several returning members who’d had previously proved themselves competent head absolute garbage under C5’s management. As for Tasmin the three series she was involved with (CCB 21, 22, and BB19) as Executive Editor were a vast improvement over past series and a clear return to form for BBUK so there’s definite promise there. Having watched all three series in full it’s clear the low points were due to C5 meddling.

The obvious choice is clearly AJ. As much as I welcome change in this new era I’m just not sure this one was needed. For as much as she’s improved I think AJ deserves a true headlining role rather than having to share the spotlight. A duel host is better suited to whatever spin-off they have planned.

The house is reportedly set to be at Garden Studios in London, which despite the name seems to be an industrial estate between a river and railway line.

Wouldn’t have been my first pick but not a bad location by any means. Definitely looks like the house will be on a soundstage and given the limited space between stages that a studio will be home base for the live audience. If that is the case I’m 100% sold.

Good news: The live feed is reported to return. Still no confirmation, but "never missing a second from the house" suggests 24/7.

The very very very bad news: Marcus Bentley is back as narrator. The man who makes Mike Goldman sound like David Attenborough. Really bad call considering he was such a barrier to many even attempting to watch the C5 version and it's supposed to be a fresh new approach for 2023.

Good news: The live feed is reported to return. Still no confirmation, but "never missing a second from the house" suggests 24/7.

The very very very bad news: Marcus Bentley is back as narrator. The man who makes Mike Goldman sound like David Attenborough. Really bad call considering he was such a barrier to many even attempting to watch the C5 version and it's supposed to be a fresh new approach for 2023.

Is that the annoying Geordie?
He's a nightmare to listen to!
Probably worse than the guy who narrates Love Island UK!

I think I resigned myself to the fact that Marcus would be returning when they started using him on GMB for all BB-related announcements, so I'm not too disappointed by this.

I'm really hopeful that they'll come through on the Live Feed, especially for this first series back. They should be doing everything in their power to make this a success, and it will have a much bigger shot if it comes with Live Feed. As I've said before, if they tap into the Love Island generation and get them hooked, then it will blow their minds when they realise they can watch their favourite show 24/7.

I saw a photo of AJ and Will at some kind of press event in front of of a BB banner - I really like the graphics/ style they are using pre-series. I wouldn't be mad if they continued with this for the actual show.

On a semi-related note, they really fucked up having Love Island twice a year. No surprise that ratings are down so much compared to last year when it feels like the winter season just ended.

BBUK would’ve been a lot more useful if it was on at the moment to give Love Island more breathing room, and I swear I’m not even being biased.... much.

Winter Love Island is to itv2 what summer Celebrity Big Brother was to C5. It’s oversaturated the brand and sped up the decline.

Winter Love Island is to itv2 what summer Celebrity Big Brother was to C5. It’s oversaturated the brand and sped up the decline.
Agreed. I also don’t think Love Island is going to have the longevity BB has. I think at the end of the day people are getting sick of the whole finding “love” genre of reality TV. Things are kind of getting oversaturated.

The trouble is every Love Island looks the same - the contestants, the villa, the format points. As much as C5 certainly oversatured Celebrity Big Brother they did at least at bare minimum give each series a unique look, though think they had a few launch shows in a row with a secret ear piece twist!

The trouble is every Love Island looks the same - the contestants, the villa, the format points. As much as C5 certainly oversatured Celebrity Big Brother they did at least at bare minimum give each series a unique look, though think they had a few launch shows in a row with a secret ear piece twist!
Yes the Love Island format got stale fairly quick. I’ve not watched the ITV series but from my somewhat limited experience with the American version there’s not much that changes to keep things fresh.

I wonder if they were responsible for the break stings used from BB2 onwards which I'm not sure were taken from Element Four directly, just inspired by it.

I wonder if they were responsible for the break stings used from BB2 onwards which I'm not sure were taken from Element Four directly, just inspired by it.
There were at least three versions of Element Four that I’m aware of.

This is the version they used in the announcement advert I don’t know why they couldn’t continue to use this.

There’s also the house version. Definitely not a title track but it would make for some decent incidental music and would fit well with the Y2K aesthetic they seem to be going for.

Back