Skip to main content

BBUK renewed until 2018

BBUK renewed till 2018 - good or bad news?

• Good News

• Bad News

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never liked the outdoor sets BBUK has used - in the past it felt like they had plonked a stage in the middle of a carpark because they didnt have any other options. The current set is actually quite good though, but it does feel a little small and cramped still...

The current outdoor set is something that is complained about year on year... Which is actually something that has bothered me... I LOVE it and it's one of a few things that Channel 5 did very well... Looking back at some of the older launch nights they all look rather dull and boring and just as you said like they slapped a stage up in the middle of a parking lot... With that said though at least when C4 had the show they made changes to the outdoor set every year... As much as I enjoy the current set the least they could do is change it up a little...

In response to the last bit of your comment about the set feeling small and cramped... Let's be honest back in the day BB was the biggest reality show on television and they likely had hoards of people lining up to be a part of the live show... Nowadays BB is one of many garbage reality shows... Crowding the space gives the appearance that there are still hoards of people there without actually needing hoards of people...

As Kingston said the plan was to build two new sound stages on that space they've cleared of similar size to the adjacent studios previously used for Big Brother and Dancing on Ice, one of which (the old Big Brother studio I think) is now used for Strictly Come Dancing (our DWTS) and other BBC shows under a long term lease during the renovation of BBC TV Centre. It has gone quiet on the building front - there is said to be a huge demand for studio space in London but others have got in first in creating space further afield. If they did go ahead how it would affect the show remains unclear, but think it's contracted to remain for the duration of the current contract. What the show really needs is for Elstree to build the new sound stages then be unable to fill them, giving the show the opportunity to use one of them as the house.

I do think the C5 set needs updating - my biggest problem with it is the crowd being outside of the house and to be honest considering they've had a few problems which have resulted in them having to evacuate the set, but mainly due to keeping the crowd away from the HMs, I'd be happy now for them to ditch the outside crowd and just revamp the BOTS set to be used for evictions as a fake "front of the house", similar to BB Canada.

As Kingston said the plan was to build two new sound stages on that space they've cleared of similar size to the adjacent studios previously used for Big Brother and Dancing on Ice, one of which (the old Big Brother studio I think) is now used for Strictly Come Dancing (our DWTS) and other BBC shows under a long term lease during the renovation of BBC TV Centre. It has gone quiet on the building front - there is said to be a huge demand for studio space in London but others have got in first in creating space further afield. If they did go ahead how it would affect the show remains unclear, but think it's contracted to remain for the duration of the current contract. What the show really needs is for Elstree to build the new sound stages then be unable to fill them, giving the show the opportunity to use one of them as the house.

I do think the C5 set needs updating - my biggest problem with it is the crowd being outside of the house and to be honest considering they've had a few problems which have resulted in them having to evacuate the set, but mainly due to keeping the crowd away from the HMs, I'd be happy now for them to ditch the outside crowd and just revamp the BOTS set to be used for evictions as a fake "front of the house", similar to BB Canada.

I can only imagine what kind of mess moving BBUK's live audience inside a studio would be like... There is no way in hell they'll ask the audience to act in a civilized manner... Is the BBOTS studio even big enough for anything close to what you're suggesting?

Really the only hope BB has of moving at this point is if something happens to the planning permissions at Elstree Studios and they have no other option but to look for a new permanent studio... Also with the new Star Wars trilogy moving back to the UK I would have thought for sure that Elstree would have looked at moving forward with expansion plans...

Didn't those changes consist of using a different colour light for wall of the house?

I'm not going to include you in discussions if you ask anymore STUPID questions like this... I mean you asked if BB was popular in the UK or not... So what would you know about anything BBUK? Pretty much every UK series is on YouTube... Go look for yourself!

In response to the last bit of your comment about the set feeling small and cramped... Let's be honest back in the day BB was the biggest reality show on television and they likely had hoards of people lining up to be a part of the live show... Nowadays BB is one of many garbage reality shows... Crowding the space gives the appearance that there are still hoards of people there without actually needing hoards of people...
Up until the photos you posted earlier in the thread, I had never seen the current set empty (mainly because I didn't care enough to look I guess) and I was initially surprised at how small it looked when the actual live shows make it look bigger because it's so cramped - and I guess that influenced my post a little than if I hadn't ever seen those photos. So I guess their mission is complete there. But yes, the complaints the current set get confuses me also.

Back