Skip to main content

BBUK axed again - to end this year

Brekkie

Staff member
Both the Daily Star and The Sun, both as reliable as each other, though the latter at least usually accurate on such things, are reporting C5 have axed Big Brother, with it to end this summer.

This is pretty much no surprise to anyone - they've ignored the fans ever since they resurrected it (too soon) following the axe by C4 and as a result ratings have now halved in four years.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowb...-axed-from-next-year-alongside-civilian-show/

Can't say I'm really all that shocked by this news... But I can't say I wouldn't be shocked at a last minute renewal either... There is still no word from an official source so I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet... As BBSpy speculated this could just be leaked as a means to scare Endemol in to accepting a lower price... As far as I know Big Brother is still Channel 5's highest rated program despite the decline in ratings...

I don't know if it was too soon for Channel 5 to pick up the show... It left Channel 4 on a pretty high note and won back a lot of peoples faith in the show... I think had they actually cared enough to try and maintain that upward momentum BB would have had a much better run...

Channel 5 bosses deny claims Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother to be axed
A report stated both shows would be "consigned to the dustbin" after contracts run out later this year

CHANNEL 5 bosses have denied claims they're axing Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother — saying the show's contracts will probably be extended when they run out later this year.

A newspaper yesterday reported Big Brother, presented by Emma Willis, will be “consigned to the dustbin for good".

nintchdbpict0003748749501.jpg

But The Sun's Bizarre column understands bosses still see the show as a major feature of the Channel 5 schedules and will hold talks about further series when their current deal expires at the end of the year.

A Big Brother source said: "Channel 5 already has a deal in place for another civilian version of Big Brother and a Celebrity Big Brother which will both air later this year.

"It's still a very successful show for Channel 5, with millions of viewers, so obviously there will be discussions with the production company about extending the show beyond that.

"It's far too early to suggest it's the end of Big Brother, quite the opposite, so fans can relax.

"An extension of the deal is likely, it's just that those conversations haven't happened yet."

A second TV industry source yesterday also labelled the claims "untrue" and said claims they're going to pull the plug on the show are "pure speculation."

The reality TV classic has been on British TV screens for 18 years, though ratings have dropped since it was first aired on Channel 4 with Davina McCall as host.

"It's still a very successful show for Channel 5, with millions of viewers, so obviously there will be discussions with the production company about extending the show beyond that.

"It's far too early to suggest it's the end of Big Brother, quite the opposite, so fans can relax.

The current series of CBB drew its lowest ever launch show ratings, but still attracted 2.4million loyal fans.

But it faces stiff competition from similar reality shows thanks to the success of ITV2 rival Love Island and upcoming new series Survival of the Fittest.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowb...brother-and-celebrity-big-brother-to-be-axed/

I'm sticking to what I said before... I won't be surprised if the rumors of BBUK's demise are true... But I'm not going to be surprised either if Channel 5 are planning a last minute renewal either... That said I think both Channel 5 and Endemol Shine have more to gain from renewing the contract than they do from cancellation... Whether they want to admit it or not BB is still the most high profile program for both of them regardless of the decline in ratings... If anything they need to negotiate ways in which there are cost savings on both sides moving forward...

Big Brother 7 executive producer to return for 2018 series?
Original BB staffer Paul Osborne set to rejoin Endemol Shine after a decade

bb7_eye_logo_top10.jpg

Paul Osborne, one of Big Brother UK’s original crew members and an executive producer of the fan-favourite BB7, is reportedly returning to the show for the first time in a decade to oversee the summer 2018 series.

The Sun claims that production company Endemol Shine UK has turned to Paul in a bid to give Big Brother a ‘major overhaul’ and revive its fortunes, following a critical slump in ratings last year.

According to the newspaper, he has signed up to become Big Brother’s new creative director, and aims to recapture the ‘true essence’ of the format.

This suggests he is replacing Katy Manley, who previously held the role, but is now credited as ‘head of reality’ for Endemol label Initial.

endemol_shine_logonew.jpg

A source said: “Everyone is working hard to ensure it returns with a bang in the summer. Paul is thrilled to be joining the team again and can’t wait to get his teeth back into recreating the true essence of Big Brother.”

A spokesperson for Endemol Shine UK added: “As with any long-running series, creative leadership changes regularly. It’s great to have such an experienced and brilliant creative director working on the summer series.”

Paul was a member of the BBUK team for the majority of its original run on Channel 4, beginning as an assistant producer on the very first series in 2000, before rising through the ranks.

He is most notable to fans for being one of the executive producers of the seventh series, which is regarded as a viewer favourite, and was voted the best ever in a 2010 C4 poll.

bbch_eye_logo.jpg

He left in 2008, after serving as the sole EP on E4-exclusive spin-off Celebrity Hijack, and has since worked in the US on shows including NBC’s I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! and ABC’s Skating With The Stars.

Paul’s return comes at a time when BBUK’s future is in peril, with ratings at historic lows, and Channel 5 chief Ben Frow publicly disavowing the show.

Only two more series, one ‘civilian’ and one Celebrity, are guaranteed under C5’s current contract with Endemol. At the weekend, a front-page Daily Star story claimed bosses are preparing to swing the axe, although other sources disputed the claim, pointing out that negotiations over a renewal are ongoing.

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/bb19/news/0124/big-brother-7-executive-producer-to-return-for-2018-series

While I'm not really sure this will do any good... It does sound like they are at least making some sort of attempt at improving... It's certainly has more promise than previous staffing announcements... I won't be expecting a drastic departure from previous Channel 5 series though...

It's pretty much the same thing happening as in 2010 - Endemol trying to get their act together in order to sell the product on to another broadcaster. You only have to look at Channel 5's schedule for the week after BB to see that they don't want it anymore - it's like a completely different channel.

It's pretty much the same thing happening as in 2010 - Endemol trying to get their act together in order to sell the product on to another broadcaster. You only have to look at Channel 5's schedule for the week after BB to see that they don't want it anymore - it's like a completely different channel.

Who do you think they are looking at selling it to? I doubt BBC wants it... ITV doesn't want it... I doubt BB would be profitable as an online format... BB:OTT only worked because it was an extension of the broadcast version...

There only real hope is that C4 may take it back, but I don't think they would immediately. The people who axed it though have all now moved on.

Really though there is nobody.

There only real hope is that C4 may take it back, but I don't think they would immediately. The people who axed it though have all now moved on.

Really though there is nobody.

Going back to Channel 4 I don't even feel is an option... Even if it was there really isn't any indication that it would improve by going back... I can't say I've really followed the change in leadership at C4 but is there anyone still there from 8+ years ago?

Both have left over the last year. C4 seems to have it's confidence back in what it's doing and isn't afraid to push popular programming over "public service" content. Post 10pm now is pretty much a void for C4, dominated by one-off or short run documentaries, so there is a place for the show in the schedules - it would just be a question of budgets.

I don't think though C4 would have it back without changes - the C5 version of the show would not fit.

Big Brother axe rumours revealed: 'The show is never going to return to its heyday'

BIG Brother's future has at long last been revealed.

It was previously claimed that Big Brother (and therefore sister show Celebrity Big Brother) would be axed this year, after 18 years due to low ratings.

The latest winner of the reality TV competition was Aussie drag superstar Courtney Act, who walked away with a huge 49.43 per cent of all votes cast.

The figures put the RuPaul's Drag Race star 10 per cent ahead of runner-up Ann Widdecombe, who picked up 39.50 per cent of the vote, finishing second.

The Year of the Woman series has been a success for Channel 5, with clips of Courtney – real name Shane Jenek – repeatedly going viral thanks to her honest and open discussions about sexuality and gender.

Celebrity-Big-Brother-2018-1230136.jpg

However, rumours have spread that Channel 5 and Endemol – who produce the show – are in discussions about its fate.

Now, Daily Star Online can revealed that Big Brother isn't set to go anywhere, and instead there's a plan to save the series.

Rather than getting the chop, Channel 5 are set to continue to air the show, but they want to pay less for it.

A source exclusively revealed: "Ratings have been in steep decline series on series.

"However, the show has still built up a strong following across all ages, who tune in.

"We all know the show is never going to return to its heyday and everybody is fine with that.

"It doesn't matter so long as there's still some people who do still watch it."

The insider went on: "In fairness, many other reality shows like Made in Chelsea or Ibiza Weekender or Celebs Go Dating would kill for the ratings that Big Brother still gets."

1203717.jpg

The source told us: "It totally makes sense why Channel 5 want it cheaper though. Lesser ratings mean lesser ad revenue.

"It brings in viewers, but it's not a cheap show to make, especially as many of the shows on Channel 5 bring in similar audiences for a fraction of the cost.

"When BB is on there's 600/700 crew who work on this behind the scenes, transmitting each day, filming 24/7, maintaining the house etc."

They concluded: "It costs a lot of time and money but I'm sure we'll sort something out."

The show was relaunched back in 2011 on Channel 5, after originally running for eleven series on Channel 4.

Davina McCall was the first host of the reality competition, however Emma Willis now presents the main show, while Rylan Clark-Neal is the frontman of Celebrity Big Brother's Bit On The Side.

Filming 24/7 but not showing it 24/7. And the reason it would never go back to anything like it's heyday is because of CH5. They ignored the important online aspect of BB, a live stream, decent website, all the kind of things that Big Brother should need. Jettisoning the audience as it got older was just stupid.

You can tell straight away that their "source" is absolute bollocks. Every single other comment from C5 has been about being committed to showing this summers series and not going any further. This is just the Daily Star spreading their bets so whether axed or renewed they'll be saying they revealed it first.

I do think costs could be saved quite easily (axing BOTS, axing the summer celeb edition, less renovations to the house etc.) but C5 themselves just haven't got the goodwill to be able to raise ratings, and hence revenue, again. I think the show being axed is still the most likely outcome - if it is renewed I would imagine it'll be on a year by year basis rather than the usual 3-4 year contract.

You can tell straight away that their "source" is absolute bollocks. Every single other comment from C5 has been about being committed to showing this summers series and not going any further. This is just the Daily Star spreading their bets so whether axed or renewed they'll be saying they revealed it first.

I do think costs could be saved quite easily (axing BOTS, axing the summer celeb edition, less renovations to the house etc.) but C5 themselves just haven't got the goodwill to be able to raise ratings, and hence revenue, again. I think the show being axed is still the most likely outcome - if it is renewed I would imagine it'll be on a year by year basis rather than the usual 3-4 year contract.

I think there is some truth to these rumors... Regardless of the decline in ratings BB is still one of Channel 5's highest rated programs... It would make sense that they'd be trying to negotiate cost savings to keep it... Or at least until they can find a replacement...

As for cost savings if they are going to axe anything I think it would be the regular summer series... CBB series on average have around 1.1 million more viewers than the regular summer series... BOTS I'm sure would not be missed either... Or significantly reduced...

The advantage CBB has over the civilian version has diminished significantly over the last couple of years - this series was stuck around the 1.5m mark.

The advantage CBB has over the civilian version has diminished significantly over the last couple of years - this series was stuck around the 1.5m mark.

The ratings I've seen from the last series weren't that bad... There was a drop from previous series but the numbers that they were pulling in were fairly steady... Compared to the last regular series that went from an average of around 1.5 million to ending around 1.1 million... Overall series average of 1.24 million... The last CBB series is an overall average of just around 2 million...

Back