Skip to main content

BBUK 2012 - Pre-season News & Discussion

My first impressions of it weren't great but I'm sure like the previous eye it will grow on me. Actually I rather liked the idea of Channel 5 having a sort of static look for their BB branding and the cloud motif was without a doubt my favorite.

BBspy says to come back at midnight UK time and they will be reveling more information and they will have the print version of the eye.

Here's what BBspy released

The eye logo for the new series of Big Brother, which features a 3D multi-coloured chequered design, has been officially unveiled by Channel 5.

The icon – which will be used for both the normal edition and the upcoming summer Celebrity run – was again designed by C5′s in-house team and branding company Hello Charlie, who have worked on the show since 2005.

It first appeared on air in a teaser advert yesterday, which features a scene with presenters Brian Dowling, Emma Willis, Alice Levine and Jamie East.

According to the broadcaster, the campaign for the new series will also run in print and online.

bb2012_eye_logo.jpg

Big Brother executive producer Suzy Price said: “We are delighted with this year’s confident and playful re-versioning of the iconic Big Brother eye. The multi-faceted concept reflects the ever-evolving personality of the programme and moves the brand forward for this exciting new series.”

Jeff Ford, C5′s Director of Programmes, added: “The Big Brother Eye logo is one of TV’s most iconic symbols, and this fresh new look reflects how the show itself is constantly evolving and reinventing itself.

“It will be front and centre of the new campaign as we ramp up the excitement ahead of the show returning to Channel 5 this summer.”

Big Brother 2012 is set to begin next month.

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/news/0508/channel-5-officially-unveils-new-big-brother-2012-eye-logo

Interesting...

Big Brother 2012 will be
Olympics meets Hunger Games

Show presenter Brian Dowling has reportedly said that this years Big Brother will be themed ‘Olympics meets Hunger Games’.

Speaking to omg!, a subsidiary of Yahoo, Dowling commented that this years Big Brother will tie in with the Olympics, as well as the ever popular The Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games is a movie and novel that is set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television.

The revelation could potentially mean that this years tasks could revolve around physical challenges, with far harsher results for a failed task. Luckily for potential housemates, Ofcom will not allow for slaying of life.

I suspect this may be a battle of the sexes style twist with as the article suggests harsh punishments for the loosing team.

Hmm... An interesting story from TBB...

BB viewers to pick wildcard
housemate?

Big Brother fans will have the opportunity to vote for a wildcard contestant to enter the house during this summer’s series, according to the Daily Star.

The paper reports that producers are finalising the initial line-up ahead of next month’s launch, but have also decided to let the public pick another housemate in the early stages of the series.

An insider revealed: “For years, fans have said that they want to choose housemates for the show and now they’ve got their chance.

“The wild cards will be characters who will stir things up and set the sparks flying. The lucky few will be brought out and do a Vote For Me piece to camera to explain why they should be chosen. Then it’s down to the public.

“This person stands a good chance of possibly winning. If viewers have picked them and they live up to expectations then they should be favourites to win,” they added.

In other news, it was reported earlier this week that we will see “two houses” over the summer, as the Big Brother compound goes into a 24-hour lockdown after the BB13 finale to receive a luxurious makeover in time for the CBB launch the following night.

Do you think it’s a good idea for viewers to have the chance to choose a wildcard housemate?

I like the idea of letting the public choose a handful of potential HM's. I just hope the potentials are really people who can shake things up. This idea would work with a battle of the sexes twist with the public choosing one male and one female HM.

I doubt we will actually see two houses this series but we will probably see a return of something like the house next door or simply a divided house similar to BB3's Rich/Poor twist or Heaven & Hell from BB9. If the rumors are true and there are two unique houses hopefully they aren't completely segregated from each other.

BTW where is everyone?

BB viewers to pick wildcard
housemate?

Big Brother fans will have the opportunity to vote for a wildcard contestant to enter the house during this summer’s series, according to the Daily Star.

The paper reports that producers are finalising the initial line-up ahead of next month’s launch, but have also decided to let the public pick another housemate in the early stages of the series.

An insider revealed: “For years, fans have said that they want to choose housemates for the show and now they’ve got their chance.

“The wild cards will be characters who will stir things up and set the sparks flying. The lucky few will be brought out and do a Vote For Me piece to camera to explain why they should be chosen. Then it’s down to the public.

“This person stands a good chance of possibly winning. If viewers have picked them and they live up to expectations then they should be favourites to win,” they added.

In other news, it was reported earlier this week that we will see “two houses” over the summer, as the Big Brother compound goes into a 24-hour lockdown after the BB13 finale to receive a luxurious makeover in time for the CBB launch the following night.

Do you think it’s a good idea for viewers to have the chance to choose a wildcard housemate?

Well I know Barney, Michael and Nathan from BB8 were some of the most memorable housemates of all time in Australia...

Well I know Barney, Michael and Nathan from BB8 were some of the most memorable housemates of all time in Australia...

Ya but by that point BBAU was rubbish anyways... BBUK has a completely different dynamic and a different approach than BBAU...

How those three were the most popular videos is beyond me, the producers were on the right track but were just a few years too early with the idea

I like the idea of letting the public choose a handful of potential HM's. I just hope the potentials are really people who can shake things up. This idea would work with a battle of the sexes twist with the public choosing one male and one female HM.

I doubt we will actually see two houses this series but we will probably see a return of something like the house next door or simply a divided house similar to BB3's Rich/Poor twist or Heaven & Hell from BB9. If the rumors are true and there are two unique houses hopefully they aren't completely segregated from each other.

BTW where is everyone?

Nice to see you've missed me. I've avoided this forum like the plague since January, I just caught up on CBBUK this evening. And yes I managed to avoid spoilers totally amazing.

Personally the wildcard idea sucks. I'm a total cynic when it comes to BB, it was known Siavash was invited several times to participate until he finally did. Other housemates have alluded they had been contacted rather than auditioned. I pretty much think BB know exactly who they do want in that house and any type of wildcard thing I would assume automatically was rigged. Don't bullshit the viewers into thinking they get a say.

So when's the proposed launch? I'm hanging out for it.

If it's a phone vote it would be pretty hard to rig as they are monitored closely. I wouldn't let this be ruined by one bad experience.

Personally the wildcard idea sucks. I'm a total cynic when it comes to BB, it was known Siavash was invited several times to participate until he finally did. Other housemates have alluded they had been contacted rather than auditioned. I pretty much think BB know exactly who they do want in that house and any type of wildcard thing I would assume automatically was rigged. Don't bullshit the viewers into thinking they get a say.

I would assume the producers would cut it down to a shortlist of those characters they'd love to have but would completely ignore during the show, then have us vote on only those people. In other words, it's another White Room situation. (Although hopefully they have the forethought to not divide the group into "White People + Joel" who get straight in to the house while we had to vote for "Minorities + Harrison".)

I would assume the producers would cut it down to a shortlist of those characters they'd love to have but would completely ignore during the show, then have us vote on only those people. In other words, it's another White Room situation. (Although hopefully they have the forethought to not divide the group into "White People + Joel" who get straight in to the house while we had to vote for "Minorities + Harrison".)

The UK and Australian producers are completely different and the two shows have completely different dynamics despite sharing the same name. In this case comparing these situations is like comparing apples to oranges.

This "twist" has already been done in the UK with little or no issues in BB2. I've never seen BB2 and Josh doesn't seem to be one of the more talked about HM's from that series but the guy finished in 5th place. Overall the twist seems to have been carried out successfully in the past, although the show is very different now from what it was in those days.

I'm not sure how the public vote will work but it is unlikely the vote will be rigged in favor of anyone... Especially if it is voting via a premium telephone number. The way the idea is being pitched to us makes it sound to me like BB wants said person to upset the houses carefully constructed dynamic. I have little doubt that said person or persons will simply be forgotten about, in fact there will probably be some sort of secret mission attached to this which will put said person in the public eye for at least a short period of time. `

As I said before the producers will most likely choose a group of people as "wild cards" who they feel will be able to shake the house up when they enter. Given that HM's are usually chosen from a pool of previously failed applicants some of them will probably have had previous drama with people currently inside the house. This being very similar to the way that Kitten and Victor clashed during auditions OR will simply be someone who the producers feel will naturally clash with someone or a group of people like BB5's Marco and Amed. There will also probably be a Sam Pepper type who is just out to stir up trouble any way they can. These people will be far from dull or will at least appear that way on paper.

Kris Noble seemed to just do things for the sake of doing them, there never really seemed to be much of a thought process. That being said the UK producers can be slightly more daring and are a bit more calculated at times. This is not to say that the UK producers haven't just phoned in a twist on a number of occasions.

I wouldn't be so quick to write this off... Many people wrote off the "Ignore the Obvious" task from BB10 based on the Aussies failure and it turned out to be one of the better tasks of that series. As I said before fundamentally comparing the two shows is like comparing apples to oranges.

Snide you know what they say about assuming things don't you?

Last edited:
Marcus Bently has confirmed a June start. Another blog said June 7th but have since removed their post. Not smart having it go head to head with the olympics IMO. I think they underestimate how many people watch them when they're hosted in their own country. The most I've watched of the olympics was when they were hosted in Australia and Australian TV channels typically deem the olympics a non-ratings period anyway.

Marcus Bently has confirmed a June start. Another blog said June 7th but have since removed their post. Not smart having it go head to head with the olympics IMO. I think they underestimate how many people watch them when they're hosted in their own country. The most I've watched of the olympics was when they were hosted in Australia and Australian TV channels typically deem the olympics a non-ratings period anyway.

The fact that they are being hosted in the UK might make an impact but it's not like this is the first time BB has gone up against the Olympics. You also forget that BB usually airs between 9-11 pm and I'm not sure how many events are going to air at that time.

The saving grace may be that they've added a ton of channels to cover the games so where in Australia you'd watch the diving at 10pm you'll watch it during the day in the UK on one of their many channels.

Even BBAU isn't game to air during Olympics. I really think they'll miss out on the sometime viewers and the people who channel surf.

Back