Skip to main content

BB21 Prize Money vs 2001

D Space

Speaking of the budget for production of BB Australia, the prize money for most of these shows is rubbish in todays world.

$250k was the prize I remember in the early 2000’s. It’s 2021 now and theyre still keeping a 20’th century payout? They are getting off easily aren’t they? The target should be at least $500k

$250k is like a year’s executive salary. Couple years work for a doctor. One year for doctor couples.

Most people are not doctors. Considering the prize on House Rules dropped from $400k+ to just $100k for it's final series they're pretty lucky BB kept the $250k prize.

Speaking of the budget for production of BB Australia, the prize money for most of these shows is rubbish in todays world.

$250k was the prize I remember in the early 2000’s. It’s 2021 now and theyre still keeping a 20’th century payout? They are getting off easily aren’t they? The target should be at least $500k

$250k is like a year’s executive salary. Couple years work for a doctor. One year for doctor couples.
See, for the current game they have to play, I actually think the prize money amount is far, far too much.

Moved to a new thread so it doesn't get lost amongst the ratings.

For the record the inflation of the Australian dollar over 20 years has been 60%, so $250k in 2001 would be worth just over $400k today, whilst $250k today is equivalent to around $156k back in 2001.

The entertainment landscape has changed a lot, with TV ratings competing with streaming services. If there was a 24 hour stream (a bit of a delay would be okay, to account for any turkey slapping, etc) that was subscription based, televoting, and any other audience involvement that they could monetise, then the prize money could be a lot more. Perhaps there's just not the interest in BB these days; look what happened in the UK. The current iteration doesn't compare to the zeitgeist that early BB created.

I never really thought of it that way tbh. But to me $250k still seems like a big payout today even taking into account the $1m prize money it got to back then. Maybe I'm too easily pleased haha

Especially when half of them are probably happy enough increasing their public profile and getting more instagram followers which can be a lot more lucrative in itself in today's world.

The $1m prize and indeed the weekly car giveaways always felt like the show was using giving away more as a way to mask their lack of creativity in other areas.

I never really thought of it that way tbh. But to me $250k still seems like a big payout today even taking into account the $1m prize money it got to back then. Maybe I'm too easily pleased haha

Especially when half of them are probably happy enough increasing their public profile and getting more instagram followers which can be a lot more lucrative in itself in today's world.
I assume you're in an under 25 age group, and not looking to buy a home? $250k prize won't even get you near purchasing a home in a periphery of a big city. Broken hill maybe you'll find something.

Then you get taxed, so $250k is taxed $54,097 + 45c for each $1 over $180k which is $31,500. So you only actually get $164,403 into your bank account at the end of it.$164,403 is nice but for the effort of getting to first place doesn't seem _amazing_. Others have said that it seems too much for this show. But, you have to admit, that if there is a large payout, players will play harder. People that coast along, they need to go.

Isn't there?? That's awesome actually. I always thought there was!
Amazing isn't it? No government has dared go there (yet).

Housemates pay tax on the stipend received whilst in the house. This was reputed to be $500/week back in the early Ten days, could be double that now.

They should recieve approximately a qtr of a dole payment. A month.
Haha, really. Back then they were putting in 24/7 effort. Now it's pretty much 9-5. Just jump through hoops on request.

Remember when big brother docked some of the prize money back in channel ten era because of improper use of microphone and other such things? They should bring that back.

Remember when big brother docked some of the prize money back in channel ten era because of improper use of microphone and other such things? They should bring that back.
Dont recall that at all reepy. But im not a superfan so im hardly surprised that escaped my radar.

Back