Skip to main content

BB Housemates 2013 with Prior Media Connections

tedfthis

OLD Member, Gold Coast
There is usually someone in the house each series, who has had some sort of media connection, whether it be by being a band or former band member or on radio, or a model or actor wannabe. There seems to be an inordinate number of such contestants this year. Tim was touted as a student, but he has radio connections, Heidi had radio connections. Jade and Tahan both have modelling shots and magazine stories out there and bit parts as actors. Tully, was a supposed social media strategist, but obviously not a very good one, because the strategy that she used in the house, didnt work for her. Now the lumberjack is supposed to have model connections. How many more are there in there this year, that have claim to some sort of experience with the media? Has Big Brother changed the criteria for being a contestant and are the thousands of people that apply to be in the series each year, wasting their time?

It's really not a conspiracy. They inevitably end up with actors and models and radio hosts in the house because they tend to be more confident with the audition activities and therefore come across as being more entertaining.

Yeah I agree [MENTION=2561]tedfthis[/MENTION], I wish they would go back to every day joes, like they did in the early years.

There is usually someone in the house each series, who has had some sort of media connection, whether it be by being a band or former band member or on radio, or a model or actor wannabe. There seems to be an inordinate number of such contestants this year. Tim was touted as a student, but he has radio connections, Heidi had radio connections. Jade and Tahan both have modelling shots and magazine stories out there and bit parts as actors. Tully, was a supposed social media strategist, but obviously not a very good one, because the strategy that she used in the house, didnt work for her. Now the lumberjack is supposed to have model connections. How many more are there in there this year, that have claim to some sort of experience with the media? Has Big Brother changed the criteria for being a contestant and are the thousands of people that apply to be in the series each year, wasting their time?

In another thread I surmised that Sharon, Mikkayla & possibly the sisters are the only ones thus far who haven't got verified/highly-likely connections that probably got them into the house. I'm of the opinion that they only have an "audition" process to pick 1 or 2 'ordinary' housemates to make the process look fair & transparent.

I think the series has lost something, without the randoms. Merlin probably wouldnt get past the audition now, he would be vetted out and yet he has been one of the most memorable characters in the whole series of BB series. I never thought I would admit it, but I miss Gretel and the 10 questions at the end, before they had time to concoct excuses etc. I used to get pissed off with her because I felt she went harder on the blokes and easier on the women, but she leaves Sonia in the shade.

Last edited:
In another thread I surmised that Sharon, Mikkayla & possibly the sisters are the only ones thus far who haven't got verified/highly-likely connections that probably got them into the house. I'm of the opinion that they only have an "audition" process to pick 1 or 2 'ordinary' housemates to make the process look fair & transparent.

It kind of makes a mockery about it being a social experiment. I think some of the more entertaining series, were when they had some "oldies" in. I think one of them won one year, a lady that was working for Coles. Without the randomness, we are getting too many that look like gym junkies or wannabe movie stars, or have Zoo spread aspirations. Is Zoo still in print? It used to have a close connection to BB, when BB was on Ch10.

Last edited:
I'm an actor who has been shortlisted and I know one of the ex-housemates who had 'prior media connections' but I can assure you we applied, lined up and auditioned like everyone else. I don't understand why people think that the actors/models/whatevers aren't real people. I do have an IMDB page and I have been in Subway TVCs and indie features, but I'm also a student who lives in a dirty share house and works part-time dressed up in a Haribo bear costume handing out lollies in supermarkets.

I find it pretty upsetting when people think that the actors on the show got there through shifty, privileged means. The only advantage I had in my audition was the fact that I was able to get up in front of a room full of people and improvise/make them laugh without freezing on the spot. You're making me feel like an alien species with all this 'regular joe' crap.

I'm an actor who has been shortlisted and I know one of the ex-housemates who had 'prior media connections' but I can assure you we applied, lined up and auditioned like everyone else. I don't understand why people think that the actors/models/whatevers aren't real people. I do have an IMDB page and I have been in Subway TVCs and indie features, but I'm also a student who lives in a dirty share house and works part-time dressed up in a Haribo bear costume handing out lollies in supermarkets.

I find it pretty upsetting when people think that the actors on the show got there through shifty, privileged means. The only advantage I had in my audition was the fact that I was able to get up in front of a room full of people and improvise/make them laugh without freezing on the spot. You're making me feel like an alien species with all this 'regular joe' crap.

Well it's good to hear that you auditioned normally etc Definitely sheds light on the situation! While I understand that you might find it upsetting, I (can't speak for everyone) wasn't attacking you & other actor/model/etc's but questioning the production/audition crew.

For me, I don't really care about the 'privileging' or whatever that actors can get. I'm just annoyed with people like Tahan and Caleb, who obviously do want media attention, making it appear as if they don't. The fact that they have previous media experience, and more importantly the fact that they never acknowledge it, just makes them seem (to me) extremely superficial and attention-seeking.

Back