Skip to main content

American Horror Story

Danny

Equipment Inspector
Awesome site donor
I started watching this, as I heard so many good things about it.

It's not "scary", it's more twisted sort of, but it's one of those stories you want to know what happens next. I'm on season 3 (just started).

Does anyone else here watch it?

It's not "scary", it's more twisted sort of, but it's one of those stories you want to know what happens next. I'm on season 3 (just started).

That's how I'd describe it as well, twisted and 'disturbing' but not really frightening in the true sense of horror.

For me Season 1 was the only season that lived up to the genre that it's suppose to belong to and comfortably the best of the lot. The rest have been inconsistent and tried to go for shock value more than any genuine scares.

Season 3 is very reminiscent of The Craft in that it is blatantly aimed at female teenagers and females in their 20s. I enjoyed Coven as a guilty pleasure (S03) but in all honesty it was just okay-ish. Season 4 was a huge dissapointment, it started off great but the second half of the season was directionless and finished off in a very underwhelming note. If you watch S04 don't go in with too many expectations.

Last edited:
Get your dick out, Danny.
It is out! Have you watched this show? :whistling:
Season 3 is very reminiscent of The Craft in that it is blatantly aimed at female teenagers and females in their 20s. I enjoyed Coven as a guilty pleasure (S03) but in all honesty it was just okay-ish.
I know, I just finished season 3 and I really enjoyed it. I probably enjoyed that one out of all 3, S2 was a bit drawn out and it was ok but yeah.. I'm going to watch Season 4 though, I like how Emma Roberts is in it too.

I really enjoy AHS - S1 & S2 were my faves. Kathy Bates was the star in S3. I do agree S4 lost the plot, but Dandy is one of the greatest horror characters of all time. S5 is set in a hotell - Jessica Lange is out but Matt Bomer is in, as are Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates

I'm surprised when fans of the show admit they enjoyed S02. To me that Season just seemed to be one huge incoherent mess which makes it arguably the worst IMO. It juggled a lot of (loosely connected) storylines at the same time (Nazis, sadistic serial killers, aliens etc.. with most of them bordering on the ridiculous and that's saying something for this show) but in the end most of them amounted to nothing. Especially the aliens whose presence really added little of significance to the main story arc, their inclusion felt very forced and pointless to me.

I thought the aliens were a metaphor for societal intolerance - I assumed his life post the Asylum was imaginary and a dream

I'm surprised when fans of the show admit they enjoyed S02. To me that Season just seemed to be one huge incoherent mess which makes it arguably the worst IMO. It juggled a lot of (loosely connected) storylines at the same time (Nazis, sadistic serial killers, aliens etc.. with most of them bordering on the ridiculous and that's saying something for this show) but in the end most of them amounted to nothing. Especially the aliens whose presence really added little of significance to the main story arc, their inclusion felt very forced and pointless to me.

See, that's what I liked about it. I liked that it was all just... there, without any explanation or resolution. It added to the "strangeness" of it all for me.

See, that's what I liked about it. I liked that it was all just... there, without any explanation or resolution. It added to the "strangeness" of it all for me.
I wanted a beginning, a middle and a proper end and what transpired in that season made me feel like I'd wasted my time. How the finale was wrapped up was unsatisfactory to say the least. I dunno... I guess I'm old skool like that.

IMO there's no real craft in slapping together semi believable and related narratives and hoping for the best. Heck even I think I could do that. :D

Last edited:
I wanted a beginning, a middle and a proper end and what transpired in that season made me feel like I'd wasted my time. How the finale was wrapped up was unsatisfactory to say the least. I dunno... I guess I'm old skool like that.

IMO there's no real craft in slapping together semi believable and related narratives and hoping for the best. Heck even I think I could do that. :D

I don't think it felt that way in Asylum though. I dunno, for some reason just there being no clarity felt right for a show about people with mental illness (or perceived mental illness).

However, Freak Show on the other hand was a complete disaster and definitely felt very slapped together and pointless. I really didn't feel like I "got" much out of Freak Show at all. Well, I s'pose I "got" how to not make a television show, but that's about it! :roflmao:

The sad thing is though, I'm definitely one of those people that's "always going to watch" and it's so annoying being so loyal, haha. Like, in all honesty Freak Show did not deserve to be watched all the way through (and the gay-baiting was so annoying, even though it worked lol), and it should almost put me off the franchise. But it didn't. I guess they're lucky they change the narrative every season; it saves them. And I guess I'm also just really excited to see Gaga on the show. :whistling::hilarious:

Huge fan here! I even started a thread on it which should probably be merged with this. @Brekkie @marquisite

I'm looking forward to Hotel even with some of their questionable casting choices.

iIA54iJCvJJbQ.gif

I'm sad that Jessica has left but Sarah and Kathy are more than capable of carrying it.

Where is this thread? Found it sorry! I didn't realise you linked it.
and the gay-baiting was so annoying
What is this now?
Nevermind I found that you linked it! I am looking forward to hotel actually and especially if Matt Bomber :woot:is in it and Lady Gaga.

I only watched Season 3. Started out well enough, ended up very wishy washy. Too many story elements to do justice to. Not inclined to invest any more time in it. Can't listen to Stevie Nicks anymore.

Anyone started watching Hotel? I've only seen the first ep so far - thought it was a bit meh. Was kinda hoping Gaga would die in the first episode but no luck

Anyone started watching Hotel? I've only seen the first ep so far - thought it was a bit meh. Was kinda hoping Gaga would die in the first episode but no luck

I though it was great, episode two is even better. Why would Lady Gaga die in the first episode? She is the main character this season, all the promotion for this season centered around her. She is here to stay until the end. I heard that Ryan Murphy liked Lady Gaga's acting so much this season, he has invited her to take part in the next season.

Oh hotel is amazing, was iffy with the first episode but it got better from there. The latest one was bomb.

Agreed. Still think Gaga is useless and dull, but the other actors are amazing.

Back