Skip to main content

A Question For Kiwi Members

SepiaBird

The SepiaBird!!!
Awesome site donor
Hello to all you New Zealand aka Kiwi members. Last year I took a trip to Middle Earth and I have also recently been checking out the New Zealand TV guides and I have noticed that New Zealand gets a lot of Australian TV. Usually it's the season/series of the shows that Australia had the previous year but still, there is a lot! Here in Australia, the only New Zealand show that I've seen on TV was the Kiwi version of Highway Patrol and it was only on for the two weeks that our version was on break.

Not only on TV but I also noticed while on holiday in New Zealand that the residents talk about Australia and Australians like it's just an everyday topic of conversation, where as here New Zealand isn't. In fact, I very, very, very, very rarely even see a Kiwi. I also noticed that on the news there was usually Australian stories and the weather always displayed Australian weather as well which on our weather, you don't even see New Zealand at all.

I also noticed that on most packaging and products, Australia was printed on them.
For example:
On video games and movies, the Australian rating (G, PG, M, MA, R) was printed on the cover and covered with a sticker by the NZ rating.
Australian phone numbers and websites always displayed before the NZ ones.

Anyway, my question is: "How much influence does Australia have over New Zealand?"

Shortland street, which is something like the kiwi Neighbours is on channel 72

Helped him drill the hole in the toilet block wall for you.

scaled.php

Thank you, Work for the Dole!

There are way more kiwis here than you think.. they just may not look like your "typical kiwi"
My fiance is a kiwi but if you seen him out and about you would just assume he is aussie as he is a Pakeha and not a Maori. He's been here for 8 years so has lost a bit of his accent but you can still hear it with certain words.

Am Kiwi. I dunno... I think perhaps NZ gets more Australian TV because you have a considerably larger population base, so you have more funding, larger talent base, more opportunity etc, so create more TV - much like Australia having a high US TV content for the same reasons?

I agree though, NZ does talk more about Australia than you guys talk about us. It's possibly the younger and smaller sibling syndrome. Anyway, I've encountered plenty of Kiwis here - but have to say, our countries lifestyles and values are pretty similar, and I feel like I'm just living in a bigger NZ city.

As for comments about kiwis and Centrelink - any kiwi that moved here after 2002 is entitled to zero welfare. We've lived here 3 years, my husband is in the highest tax bracket (I only work part time as I have children), and we've never claimed or asked for anything. Never would either - if our circumstances changed, we'd move back to NZ - likely millionaires, haha, after buying and renovating in the Sydney property market and making a nice wee capital gain ;-)

Speaking of which, I have skirting boards to paint. :) bye...

Back