Skip to main content

…Tv ads / promos / TV shows and movies that make ridiculous claims and insult your intelligence… (or are great)…

Mr Stickyfingers

an old fart that rants at times...
Awesome site donor
…I’m so sick of ads and tired of TV ads and promos especially making ridiculously stupid claims and expecting us to believe the shit that they dish out… ranging from ads trying to make their product sound something ‘posher‘ or ‘classier’ than it really is such as:…

(1)… Ponds facial cream claiming to have a ‘Ponds Institute’… really?… I mean really?… they really have an ‘Institute’ dedicated to friggin’ face cream?… yeah right… sure they do… do the makers of ‘Anusol’ have an ’Anus Institute’?…

(2)… Battery World claim to have ‘Batteryologists’… is their even such a word????… what a complete wank that is… do makers of battery operated dildo’s have ‘dildologists’?…

(3)… Lindt have their ‘Chocolatiers’… um… they make chocolate… big friggin’ deal!… do they train like Astronauts or something for years to make chocolate do they?… again… yet another complete wank-a-thon… do makers of ‘shit on toast’ have ‘Shitologists’ or ‘Shitiers’?… it just sounds so stupid…

…I think that you all understand where I’m going with this… I hate ads with kids that talk from a script that has clearly been written by an adult using phrases and language that is way beyond the vocabulary scope of say… an 10 - 12 year old kid… as in the latest NAB ad where that kid is speaking of local businesses etc… no 10 - 12 year old kid talks like that… a kid that age couldn’t give a shit about local businesses let alone how they even operate… it’s ridiculous…

… anyway… these are but a few examples of our intelligence being insulted… does anyone else see examples of this either in TV ads / promos / TV shows or Movies?… I’d be interested to hear of them… I’ve been meaning to start this thread for ages because I’m sick of venting my anger at the TV screen… besides… my sweet darling wife is sick of hearing me screaming at the TV…

…don’t get me wrong… there are some truly great ads… take the scifi type ads of ‘Budget Direct’ and the ‘Wiggles and Simon Cowell’ ads for instance… they’re hilarious… they’re great to watch… so if you have a beef with certain ads or whatever then this is the place to vent about them… (this thread will either die a slow agonising death or take off like wildfire lol!)… cheers.

Last edited:
…in the latest McDonalds ads… do people REALLY dip their fries in their chocolate sundaes?… ha!… as if!… cheers.

…the latest Telstra ad…

…”you’re Telstra man is on the the phone”…
…”hiiiiii Tom… right on time as usual!”…
…” haha that’s blah blah blah!”…

…erm… no… more like you wait 4 hours because the lines are busy… they NEVER ring YOU regularly to fix any problem whatsoever so who are they trying to kid?… complete crap… cheers.

…I’ve mentioned this in threads elsewhere before now… why is it that whenever they do a promo for any ‘Reality‘ show nowadays that they use echo echo echo on on on on every every every occasion occasion occasion… its so antiquated… and so damn annoying… please stop it!… cheers.

…in the latest McDonalds ads… do people REALLY dip their fries in their chocolate sundaes?… ha!… as if!… cheers.

Ha don't know about that but my mate used to always put the french fries into the burger and eat them together...lol. Also we never ate those darn gherkin slices in the burgers and they always ended up being flung out of our burgers and getting stuck to the walls or stuck to the framed pictures in the restaurant! LOL!

…the latest Telstra ad…

…”you’re Telstra man is on the the phone”…
…”hiiiiii Tom… right on time as usual!”…
…” haha that’s blah blah blah!”…

…erm… no… more like you wait 4 hours because the lines are busy… they NEVER ring YOU regularly to fix any problem whatsoever so who are they trying to kid?… complete crap… cheers.

LOL! Yeah like Telstra's new ad slogan "Australia Is Why"?, oh yeah whatever ripping off your customers and forcing them to buy newer phones and pay a higher monthly plan to stay with them? Yeah I ditched Telstra mobile a few years ago now because of this.

Another one that gets my goat is Coles supermarkets and their new ad slogan "Value The Australian Way" ? Ummm nothing has changed at your supermarket for many years and what are you saying that the others like Woolworths, Aldi and IGA etc are not being as Australian as you guys are? LOL! give me a break what a load of shite! haha!

…I’ve mentioned this in threads elsewhere before now… why is it that whenever they do a promo for any ‘Reality‘ show nowadays that they use echo echo echo on on on on every every every occasion occasion occasion… its so antiquated… and so damn annoying… please stop it!… cheers.

LOL! They are probably trying to brainwash and hypnotize everyone! Another one I can't stand and I think all the channels do this now is why do they always seem to show the same promo again a few seconds after they have pretty much just shown the exact same promo? They never did this sort of rubbish many years ago it all started just a couple of years ago now. It's bloody annoying what do they think that people can't remember a promo that they just saw a few seconds earlier? It's ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Now here's a couple of TV ads that I like...

Classic Optus TV ad, weird and funny just love this commercial! :D

Legendary Subaru TV ad, saw this add on youtube a while ago and I never hit that "skip ad" button. Great classic ad showing the older cars right through to the latest model with a great tune to boot. I wish all the other car makers would make ads like these guys did! Well done Subaru! :)

Ha don't know about that but my mate used to always put the french fries into the burger and eat them together...lol. Also we never ate those darn gherkin slices in the burgers and they always ended up being flung out of our burgers and getting stuck to the walls or stuck to the framed pictures in the restaurant! LOL!
…funny that you say that Converse… my brother and used to put our fries on our burgers too lol!… although we never did that with the gherkin slices… we never thought of that… obviously you guys were more advanced than us in your creativity lol!… cheers.

Last edited:
LOL! Yeah like Telstra's new ad slogan "Australia Is Why"?, oh yeah whatever ripping off your customers and forcing them to buy newer phones and pay a higher monthly plan to stay with them? Yeah I ditched Telstra mobile a few years ago now because of this.

Another one that gets my goat is Coles supermarkets and their new ad slogan "Value The Australian Way" ? Ummm nothing has changed at your supermarket for many years and what are you saying that the others like Woolworths, Aldi and IGA etc are not being as Australian as you guys are? LOL! give me a break what a load of shite! haha!
…Telstra treat us all like complete morons… their ads always talk about their ‘great service’ when WE KNOW from past experiencies that it’s a load of shit…

…what pisses me off about Supermarkets too is that when you eventually remember where your usual items are is that they eventually shift them to somewhere else… and also… I’m a Diabetic… why is anything that is sugar free twice the price on most of the items?… shouldn’t they be cheaper to encourage people to get healthier?… cheers.

LOL! They are probably trying to brainwash and hypnotize everyone! Another one I can't stand and I think all the channels do this now is why do they always seem to show the same promo again a few seconds after they have pretty much just shown the exact same promo? They never did this sort of rubbish many years ago it all started just a couple of years ago now. It's bloody annoying what do they think that people can't remember a promo that they just saw a few seconds earlier? It's ridiculous! :rolleyes:
…some Channels really do need to question some of their promo people as to why this form of advertising is being used because as I said earlier… it’s so 80’s and 90’s… it’s so old hat…maybe they need younger people taking over?… cheers.

Now here's a couple of TV ads that I like...

Classic Optus TV ad, weird and funny just love this commercial! :D

Legendary Subaru TV ad, saw this add on youtube a while ago and I never hit that "skip ad" button. Great classic ad showing the older cars right through to the latest model with a great tune to boot. I wish all the other car makers would make ads like these guys did! Well done Subaru! :)
…haha!… I love watching the old girl dancing in that first ad… it cracks me up every time….lol!…

…I must say that I’ve never seen that car ad before but it’s clever how they overlapped the models through the ages eh?… cheers.

…’Media Influencers’… what kind of job is that ffs!… seriously… as far as I’m concerned… it’s a made up ‘career’ for young people who are too lazy to get a real job and get their hands dirty… they are way too young to be experts in any sort of endeavour… they have no worldly experiences to be of any use… especially with things such as ‘parenting’ or ‘child psychology’ etc… it makes me sadly shake my head that whenever they list being a ‘Media Influencer’ on their bios when appearing on today’s ‘Reality’ shows… why not write ‘unemployed… too lazy to work’… I always never pick that particular contestant to win the show for that very reason… they are nothing jobs… get out and get a REAL job like everyone else!… cheers.

…these Vanish Napisn ads where they mysteriously put packages on the front doorstep and challenge people like this…

2917326B-14CC-4D32-AD59-FCCF72548ED6.jpeg
1765A22C-15A9-4710-8F80-B40687B62BE9.jpeg

…a ‘parenting influencer’ and a chef with a stupid hairstyle are to either take up the challenge to ‘dare to rewear’ or ‘trust pink’ (or whatever the previous challenge was called)… these idiots are to pretend that they have no idea that these unexpected ‘challenges’ were going to be thrust upon them yet they both mouth certain keywords that are EXACTLY the same… so their ‘spontaneous reactions’ are obviously so fake…

…so that being said… the makers of Vanish Napisan… don’t treat us like imbecilic morons!… we’re not Neanderthals… we have a brain…you should be ashamed of yourselves… and now?… yet another product that I will forever bypass no matter what… really… wake up to yourselves… don’t insult our intelligence… cheers.

…in certain Hollywood or Asian movies (especially Martial Arts type of movies) whereby in certain fight scenes… they charge towards each other… jump up higher than any person ever could and do a flurry of about 30 kicks at each other before landing back on the ground again… well… it looks ridiculous and turns me off the rest of the movie enough for me not to be bothered watching any more of it…

…with Superhero types of movies you suspend belief before you even start to watch the movie because you know what’s coming… on whether they can fly or whatever you just accept it as part of the storyline… but whenever one of those fight flurries happen halfway into a ‘serious’ movie it’s just plain ridiculous… it’s like a Producer saying… “this movie is a dud… I know what… let’s put in a ridiculously over the top fight scene to spruce things up a bit!”… it’s a sign of desperation to me… hence my reason to abandon the movie… it’s stupid!… cheers.

…in certain Hollywood or Asian movies (especially Martial Arts type of movies) whereby in certain fight scenes… they charge towards each other… jump up higher than any person ever could and do a flurry of about 30 kicks at each other before landing back on the ground again… well… it looks ridiculous and turns me off the rest of the movie enough for me not to be bothered watching any more of it…

…with Superhero types of movies you suspend belief before you even start to watch the movie because you know what’s coming… on whether they can fly or whatever you just accept it as part of the storyline… but whenever one of those fight flurries happen halfway into a ‘serious’ movie it’s just plain ridiculous… it’s like a Producer saying… “this movie is a dud… I know what… let’s put in a ridiculously over the top fight scene to spruce things up a bit!”… it’s a sign of desperation to me… hence my reason to abandon the movie… it’s stupid!… cheers.

LOL! I used to have a few Vietnamese mates back when I was in high school and when I was over at there house we would always be eating some sort of noodles and there was always a Kung Fu movie playing on the television in the loungeroom all the time! I don't think they ever watched any free to air Australian tv channels at all...lol. It was always some sort of Kung Fu movie playing from a video and I always remember the characters in those movies doing unbelievable fighting scenes all the time...lol. Cheers!

…I didn’t mind watching Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movies because they always did their own genuine stunts without flying wires attached to jump up at others to do 30 or so kicks… which is so unrealistic…. what they did was what they were capable of… evidence of this is shown at the end of Jackie Chan movies especially when he shows the outtakes of when the stunts went wrong… that’s why Jackie Chan is one of my favourite actors… he’s a genuine fighter and doesn’t mind showing his mistakes… cheers.

…why do we have so many ads from thr USA on our screens now?… isn’t it taking work away from Australian actors?… clearly…there are American negroes in the ads for instance… what’s wrong with using Australian aborigines?… I for one would rather have an Aussie accent telling me that I will be unable to live without their product than hearing an American accent telling me… how about giving Australian actors more work eh?… they need the work… especially in Covid times like these… cheers.

So much of the stuff you see in advertising is fake it's unbelievable. I know for a fact from a friend that told me they actually knew a guy that done one of those "men's hair regrowth" tv ads and they knew him personally and he was never bald in his life and always had a full head of hair. Anyway yes they used him in their tv commercial saying that he had his perfect head of hair repaired by that company! LOL! What a load of bulldust!

Another one to look out for these days is the fine writing on the bottom of the screen sometimes during the ad or sometimes at the end of the tv ad saying "Paid Actor" or "Actor Portraying Enthusiast".

The one's that really annoy me are the "Shannons Car Insurance" tv ads. I am into classic cars and stuff and I mean can't this company just find a genuine customer showing his genuine cars being insured with them? The whole ad you actually think the people are real car enthusiasts talking about their pride and joy then at the end of the ad look at the very last bit of small writing at the bottom of the screen it always says "Actor Portraying Enthusiast". I mean does reading that make you want to insure your car with that company? They can't even get a real genuine happy customer to help make a tv commercial for them? LOL! Hmmm somehow I don't think i'll insure my car with your company after that fake customer tv ad...lol.

So much of the stuff you see in advertising is fake it's unbelievable. I know for a fact from a friend that told me they actually knew a guy that done one of those "men's hair regrowth" tv ads and they knew him personally and he was never bald in his life and always had a full head of hair. Anyway yes they used him in their tv commercial saying that he had his perfect head of hair repaired by that company! LOL! What a load of bulldust!

Another one to look out for these days is the fine writing on the bottom of the screen sometimes during the ad or sometimes at the end of the tv ad saying "Paid Actor" or "Actor Portraying Enthusiast".

The one's that really annoy me are the "Shannons Car Insurance" tv ads. I am into classic cars and stuff and I mean can't this company just find a genuine customer showing his genuine cars being insured with them? The whole ad you actually think the people are real car enthusiasts talking about their pride and joy then at the end of the ad look at the very last bit of small writing at the bottom of the screen it always says "Actor Portraying Enthusiast". I mean does reading that make you want to insure your car with that company? They can't even get a real genuine happy customer to help make a tv commercial for them? LOL! Hmmm somehow I don't think i'll insure my car with your company after that fake customer tv ad...lol.

…it gets me rwhen you see ads for tablets such as pain relievers or whatever and it says that “it ‘MAY’ relieve pain blah blah blah!”… um… it ‘MAY’ relieve pain?… so they expect you to pay out your hard earned dollars and take a chance on tablets that ‘MAY’ relieve your pain and suffering?… either they DO work or they DON’T work… if they DON’T then why bother to buy them in the first place?… how gullible are some people?… there should be a law against companies that are taking money for nothing in schemes like this… it happens in lots of other fields too…

…and in regards to hair loss companies… I’m going bald at the front (I just tell people that I part my hair in a circle) but would NEVER bother to have ‘hair replacement’ due to the fact that it’s a continuous treatment that goes on for the rest of your life… very expensive indeed… I had a mate that had ‘hair replacement’ and he told me that it was time consuming and quite painful and it’s not as if you can stop it halfway through because you’ll look quite ridiculous… to be honest… it looked quite silly… it looked like it had been plugged in by a sewing machine… nah!… I’d rather be bald thankyou very much… cheers.

Back