Skip to main content

How I'd improve Ch7's Big Brother

Yeah, I did think of this too. I don't have an answer for it either. It would definitely be hard to cut and edit it all together in the right order. So perhaps a "recap" kind of show, on the Thursday might the the order of the day. Maybe bring back Mike Goldman. But, again, you're right, even a recap show could end up being confusing. Perhaps, as per marquisite's post, the HM interactions footage would be better released for streaming or put on 7Plus (ala Bertrendo's post above). I don't care how they do it, I (we) need a way to get to know the HMs better.
I agree and not dismissing your idea - I like it. I just worry about whether I trust channel seven to do it justice lol.

💯. We simply need "something" to get to know the HMs better. I suggested that could air on an additional day ... but, yes, I'd also be happy with that being released for streaming or put on 7Plus.
Yes I just want to see the HMs actually interacting and building friendships/relationships, instead of just talking strategy. A 30 minute companion show each day only requires 22 minutes of footage but would go such a long way into getting to know the HMs better.

I think it’s pretty obvious Seven will do another series with OG’s but I’d like to see another take on the concept. Perhaps making the series Blood vs Water where OG’s compete against friends and family or Australia vs The World twist where OG’s compete against former HM’s from BBUS, BBCAN, and BBUK.

... or Australia vs The World twist where OG’s compete against former HM’s from BBUS, BBCAN, and BBUK.
I actually think this OG's and Newbies format would be fun with International Allstars vs Newbies as having Canadian and American housemates in this game would garentee some actually entertaining gameplaying that many Australian OG's wouldn't have experience with. If they could cast 8 International All Stars well enough, it would bring a good mix of natural entertainment and good strategy (which are both lacking in 7's casting)

Put Da'Vonne, Janelle in for America. Kevin and Karen in for Canada. Two batshit crazies from the UK and two well liked Australian OG housemates and it would be very fun to watch.

I'm pretty every single person to watch Ch7 BB has complained about it's format for 1 reason or another and yes I'd like it to be live but this post is about how to improve a pre-recorded BB.
I want to try and tweak the format, not change many things about it and see how much you think it would improve the show.

Challenge Variety
When there's challenge variety, it increases the odds of different people winning which is more fun than the same people winning again and again and again.
One example is have a challenge about how well the HMs know each other. It's trivia, viewers learn about the HMs, rewards social game and could cause drama depending on what answers people give. Production know how to do this. Just look at the panic room tasks, make 1 of those a nominations challenge.
This 10000%.
It shit me so much that so much emphasis was put on winning the challenge, especially after the final 5, when it was blatantly obvious that one housemate (Reggie) did not have the capacity to compete on a level playing field. How was that fair?
For a game that (previously) touted itself as the great social experiment, the imbalance of these challenges makes a mockery of the game.

I personally miss the good old days when as a viewer you felt that you were getting to know the housemates...
Now its just strategizing, then a big long drawn out cheap challenge, nomination, scramble, evict then the same the next evening...

I understand they are trying to modernise the show, but they could do a later show on another CH7 station that goes into a bit of depth...
you don't see any shenanigans, it was mentioned on the finale that they all kept scaring Reggie and playing jokes etc... where was this on the show?

and also MON TUE WED only... come on...

I don't see international BB contestants as being very likely because most of the Australian audience would have no idea who they are. It's a little different from Survivor because many Aus Survivor fans also watch US Survivor and started their love of the show from the US version so they know the US contestants. The vast majority of Aus BB fans have likely not watched the other versions except for the superfans.

I think it’s highly unlikely they would do Internationals VS Newbies but I don’t think it would be such a major problem about the audience not knowing who they are.

Big Brother Canada brought two internationals to their game who were unknowns and it worked there. I think it would better than doing another Australian Allstars vs Newbies for a second time in a row as it would be more a fair game in the end. Both Newbies and Internationals would be unknowns to the public so when it comes time to the finale, the vote would be more fair in terms of pre-existing fan bases and public favouritism. I could already see Seven marketing it as “who will be the best Big Brother housemate on earth”. 😅

I don't see international BB contestants as being very likely because most of the Australian audience would have no idea who they are. It's a little different from Survivor because many Aus Survivor fans also watch US Survivor and started their love of the show from the US version so they know the US contestants. The vast majority of Aus BB fans have likely not watched the other versions except for the superfans.
Agree with this. US Survivor has screened on FTA TV since the early 2000s (first on Nine, and now on 9Go), so the show would have a cult following, and many of the people who applied for Aus Survivor would have been part of that cult following. I don’t know if US BB has ever screened in Australia, so the show wouldn’t really be well known to anyone except those who were interested enough to seek it out online (which would be a tiny number of people).

Agree with this. US Survivor has screened on FTA TV since the early 2000s (first on Nine, and now on 9Go), so the show would have a cult following, and many of the people who applied for Aus Survivor would have been part of that cult following. I don’t know if US BB has ever screened in Australia, so the show wouldn’t really be well known to anyone except those who were interested enough to seek it out online (which would be a tiny number of people).
The point isn’t that the internationals would be well known but that they’d be newbies who have played a similar game before. I think it would be interesting to see how they adapt.

Also take in to account as @Bertrendo stated that Tim and Nike went in to BBCAN as virtual unknowns and were the stars of that series.

It’s just an idea. I don’t think Seven would be willing to doll out the appearance fees they’d ask for.

Back