Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Better competition

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • The competitive format

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Pre-recorded months ago

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
I wouldn’t be surprised if ratings improved after all Americans piss off, unlikeable and irrelevant
We do not give a F about trump and we’re just relieved to not see or hear of or from him ever again
Markle?, again who cares
Umm Trump hasn’t gone away. If you follow any American news he’s still mentioned every other word.

375K for last night (I wasn't one of them. Will probably catch up over the weekend.

Interesting comments from EP:

So far the show is yet to fire in the ratings. Executive producer Amelia Fisk from Endemol Shine Australia told Mediaweek the show had been cast for celebrity revelations that would make global news headlines.

“The goal was to cast noisy and big household names that Australian audiences could relate to like Caitlyn Jenner, Thomas Markle Jr and Omarosa. We wanted to capture those types of people that we knew would tell stories in that house. The stories that they do tell are mind-blowing,” she said.

Do any of you relate to Caitlin Jenner, Thomas Markle or Omarosa?
Translation: “We found people willing to play scripted reality and made impossible for them not to talk about what we cast them to talk about”.

Having watched CBB UK for years it’s rare that people will actually “spill the beans” once they’re in the house. In fact most have used it as a means of distancing themselves from scandal rather than using it as a platform to air dirty laundry.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ratings improved after all Americans piss off, unlikeable and irrelevant
We do not give a F about trump and we’re just relieved to not see or hear of or from him ever again
Markle?, again who cares

I still probably wouldn’t watch. Mainly because I don’t care about these people and it clashes with Love Island 😂

Reactions: kxk
375K for last night (I wasn't one of them. Will probably catch up over the weekend.

Interesting comments from EP:

So far the show is yet to fire in the ratings. Executive producer Amelia Fisk from Endemol Shine Australia told Mediaweek the show had been cast for celebrity revelations that would make global news headlines.

“The goal was to cast noisy and big household names that Australian audiences could relate to like Caitlyn Jenner, Thomas Markle Jr and Omarosa. We wanted to capture those types of people that we knew would tell stories in that house. The stories that they do tell are mind-blowing,” she said.

Do any of you relate to Caitlin Jenner, Thomas Markle or Omarosa?
In other words they've forgotten the entire reason for making television - for the viewers. A show that sets out to make "global headlines" rarely will. These things need to be allowed to occur naturally.

Translation: “We found people willing to play scripted reality and made impossible for them not to talk about what we cast them to talk about”.

Having watched CBB UK for years it’s rare that people will actually “spill the beans” once they’re in the house. In fact most have used it as a means of distancing themselves from scandal rather than using it as a platform to air dirty laundry.
And it’s obvious why that would be. If a ‘celebrity‘ was genuinely interested in airing dirty laundry in public, then it’s quite easy to do so. There is no shortage of tabloids and TV talk shows that would be willing to give them a platform if the potential for celebrity gossip exists. Or even failing that, they could just use social media to publicise whatever they want. There is really no need to go on a time-consuming reality show just to do it.

That's the thing now - when Celebrity Big Brother began in the UK it was genuinely rivetting to see celebs doing fairly mundane things, and that is how the show worked. Celebs being themselves rather than expected to perform as their public personna, as Seven have clearly set up the stuff with Caitlyn, Omarosa and Thomas. That combined with the fact we can see the mundane stuff on social media, plus that half the celebs are basically reality stars and influencers anyway, means it has little appeal. Honestly a cast of 12 Home and Away stars would be more interesting as viewers would find them more relateable.

And as much as networks say overnights don't matter anymore, and as much as it is only half the story, they only really care about the catch up figures if the show is significantly underperforming in the overnights. The only thing BBVIP might have over Holey Moley and Ultimate Tag is the demos might be better even if the ratings are not.

And as much as networks say overnights don't matter anymore, and as much as it is only half the story, they only really care about the catch up figures if the show is significantly underperforming in the overnights.
Well guess what??? 🤣🤣🤣

Exactly
The behaviour is so bullshit I expect they all go out on the town every night and really stay in 5 star hotels
BBVIP is a tv SET, scripted and even possibly rehearsed

I’m a celeb get me outa here, has some bullshit about it, but they don’t script like this crappola
And look at how differently those celebs behave, more like @Kingston comments

The episode isn't that long once you remove the ads. It was only about 15 minutes longer than most episodes of the regular show that aired earlier in the year.
An hour and a half is still a VERY long episode. I know Australia loves to supersize everything into the length of a feature film but still.

Yes - TV shows are traditionally an hour (or even half an hour) for good reason. 90 minutes is about the limit for a non-finale IMO - that equates to about 65 minutes of content.

They don't seem to realise supersizing shows actually drives people away. People might sacrifice an hour of their evening to watch a show they're not really invested in, but curious enough to let it pass an hour of their time. Closer to two hours though and you can find better things to do or watch.

Closer to two hours though and you can find better things to do or watch.
Definitely people with PVRs will record the show and skip the ads, which defeats the purpose of the commercial networks.

Yes - TV shows are traditionally an hour (or even half an hour) for good reason. 90 minutes is about the limit for a non-finale IMO - that equates to about 65 minutes of content.

They don't seem to realise supersizing shows actually drives people away. People might sacrifice an hour of their evening to watch a show they're not really invested in, but curious enough to let it pass an hour of their time. Closer to two hours though and you can find better things to do or watch.
Extending to 90 minutes should be reserved for times where it’s warranted rather than being the standard.

I can’t understand how they don’t understand we’re tired of celebrity shows? Celebrity big brother was a cool idea 20 years ago. Now? It’s just another of the same breed.

I can’t understand how they don’t understand we’re tired of celebrity shows? Celebrity big brother was a cool idea 20 years ago. Now? It’s just another of the same breed.
I don't think Celebrity Big Brother is a non-starter if done right - as you say it's not been done in Australia for two decades and familar faces bought in to play the game and for viewers to see them as themselves, rather than public persona, would still work.

However these are largely unfamilar faces expected to act as their public persona, rather than themselves, and hence it fails completely. Just like the producers don't understand what made Big Brother successful they don't seem to understand what makes the celebrity counterpart work either.

Last edited:
Back