Skip to main content

Survivor 41 - Thursdays on 9Go!

Thats the biggest problem, this cast sucks. No one pops out, no one is really emerging as a huge player. I have no idea what many of the dynamics are because all the airtime goes to explaining the advantages. Just let the contestants create their one strategies and gameplay without needing to throw toys at them.
Erica's choice makes the next episode a little interesting...I don't think she'll turn back time...

Surely very few people watch, and nobody goes on the show, for the survival experience now as opposed to the experience of the game of "Survivor" - and even that is being stripped away with all the ridiculoud twists this season.

The years break really should have been the opportunity to strip it back to the core value and rediscover what made it last for 40 seasons in the first place rather than add multiple unnecessary layers of producer manipulation.

Surely very few people watch, and nobody goes on the show, for the survival experience now as opposed to the experience of the game of "Survivor" - and even that is being stripped away with all the ridiculoud twists this season.

The years break really should have been the opportunity to strip it back to the core value and rediscover what made it last for 40 seasons in the first place rather than add multiple unnecessary layers of producer manipulation.
I'm hoping the ratings are giving the powers to be incentive to edit the next series w/an view of what iis happening now Survivor Natiion is not happy & CBS is losing money....so there is hop

Taped back to back, the next season's likely full of twists like this one. No amount of editing will be able to fix that.
thank god for survivor oz, & SA bring back NZ lol I didn't bother w/ BBusa even though I love our chenbot BBau spoiled me so I have to watch allstars (& I loathe Jenner & omarosa grrrrr)

Oh come on, it's managed to be way worse.
Everything new that's weighing this season down -- the OTT sob story video packages, the cinematic editing with slow-mo shots for dramatic effect, the increasing number of nonsensical twists and advantages, the addition of a non-elimination episode this past week -- are all straight from Australian Survivor. I know y'all are very prideful because it's your own franchise but let's call a spade a spade.

Thats the biggest problem, this cast sucks. No one pops out, no one is really emerging as a huge player. I have no idea what many of the dynamics are because all the airtime goes to explaining the advantages. Just let the contestants create their one strategies and gameplay without needing to throw toys at them.
There absolutely is too much focus on the advantages and twists and trinkets and whatnot, but that's absolutely a problem with production and not with the cast. I think this cast actually is strong on paper and has a ton of potential, but nothing will ever be realized when you have an episode like episode 3 which is literally all about advantages and idols. Lynne Spillman getting fired and Jesse Tannenbaum taking over casting is without a doubt the right choice moving forward.

Taped back to back, the next season's likely full of twists like this one. No amount of editing will be able to fix that.

True it'll likely have a similar mixture of twists and advantages but actually I do wonder if it could be saved by the edit. If finding an advantage was restricted to a one minute scene rather than dominating half the episode when it is eventually used as it hasn't been spoonfed so much to the viewers it might come more as the shock it has intended to be.

They need to take a leaf out of the books of the crime dramas etc. where a seemingly insignificant short scene pretty much glossed over in the context of the narrative of the show later turns out to be a defining moment for a twist nobody saw coming.

Indeed with Survivor in general do they really need to tell us who gets each advantage or immunity idol at a time they do. When they hide one at a challenge for example they could just show us the advantage on camera pre-challenge, then show us post-challenge that it has been taken, without us being told who actually got it. Then when it is used at tribal it can be as much a surprise to us as it is to the tribemates.

Yeah that was wild. Watching the non-ad version, I was wondering why we were at TC at 27 mins with 15 minutes remaining. Never seen anything like that. But still, all these advantages are doing my head in.

Finally an episode that delivers.
It's still too twisty, but that was the first time this season that it's felt genuinely exciting.
Xander's move was brilliant, and luckily wasn't undone by sheer bad luck if Evvie had been voted out with Syd's vote.

I thought the episode was a mess and everything wrong with modern Survivor! The twists are nonsensical, the advantages are suffocating, live Tribal Councils actively kill the momentum and suspense of an episode, and I ultimately didn't care what happened because we haven't really gotten to know most of the cast at all.

Sadly, just about every corner of the fandom is eating it up so this franchise is fucked.

Reality Blurred has done a neat write up on all the issues with this season.

That was published before this weeks episode, which they've reviewed here.

I thought the episode was a mess and everything wrong with modern Survivor! The twists are nonsensical, the advantages are suffocating, live Tribal Councils actively kill the momentum and suspense of an episode, and I ultimately didn't care what happened because we haven't really gotten to know most of the cast at all.

Sadly, just about every corner of the fandom is eating it up so this franchise is fucked.
I do agree with these.
However my enjoyment of this episode came from finally getting a couple of players I could possibly get behind (Xander and Evvie), and seeing them succeed, especially Xander after that ridiculous 'butterflies' crap he was saddled with.

Reality Blurred has done a neat write up on all the issues with this season.

That was published before this weeks episode, which they've reviewed here.
Thanks for those links. They're spot on.

Back