Skip to main content

Format and production thoughts

A 7news article about the 2020 upfronts said this:
"The master game player returns in 2021, welcoming a new group of Housemates who will live together for over two months, cut off from the outside world in a custom-built house fitted with cameras and microphones recording every inch of the house and their every move, 24 hours a day."

So does that mean at least they'll be in the house for 8 weeks + ?
I wouldn't take that literally - they've already lost a few days for the fire and I suspect will be looking to complete at least two weeks before Christmas should any quarantine rules be in place then. I suspect it'll be around the same number of days as the last series, which itself was cut short towards the end.

Also from the upfronts worth noting they've said Holey Moley (which I think will flop) will air first so doesn't look like Big Brother will go up against MAFS from February anyway, though it may come in to the schedule a few weeks later.

Did we watch the same program? Gameplay/Strategy was virtually non-existent in the last series. An improvement would be a consistent storyline that includes strategy/gameplay throughout rather than a few minutes prior to the eviction.
You misunderstood me. What I meant was that each episode was structured in such a tight way it was focused on challenge, nominations then eviction. Rinse and repeat every single ep. I would like that to be spread out over a couple of episodes so it is not all about the main game the whole episode. It gets boring with the same formula every episode (at least that is what I think).

I agree that the game playing and strategy was really poor and practically non-existent last season. It was mostly filled with housemates in the diary room telling us about how they were such great strategical masterminds but that was only words and not action. Again, boring to me. I don’t want a repeat of that.

Oct, Nov, Dec. It spans three calendar months. ;)

it spans over three months but that doesn't necessarily equal 3 months in length. If the Series started October 31st and ended December 1st thats only 32 days that spanned over 3 calendar months but is only just over one month in length.

You misunderstood me. What I meant was that each episode was structured in such a tight way it was focused on challenge, nominations then eviction. Rinse and repeat every single ep. I would like that to be spread out over a couple of episodes so it is not all about the main game the whole episode. It gets boring with the same formula every episode (at least that is what I think).

I agree that the game playing and strategy was really poor and practically non-existent last season. It was mostly filled with housemates in the diary room telling us about how they were such great strategical masterminds but that was only words and not action. Again, boring to me. I don’t want a repeat of that.
I agree with you, the episodes were very structured the same way each time. Limited personal content for most of the housemates and almost no insight into house dynamics apart from Chad and Sophie and the Alpha alliance. I'm binging the US seasons atm and I'm up to BB14. BB2-3 did a great job at merging the 2 formats together, the strategy was shown but there was also a lot of insight shown into the dynamics of the house and who the housemates were as people. By BB4 the show mainly focused on gameplay and alliance and started to lose a bit of the experiment component. And by BB12 the editing was terrible and so many people were only shown when necessary, and now BB14 it feels like a completely different show, so I can't even imagine how I am going to feel when I reach BB16-Onwards to the recent All Stars season.

To be fair I think BBUSA have swung the other way a bit - still very much game dominated but there is a bit more personal content in than there used to be. As awful as All Stars was for example there was a concious move to put in conversations reflecting BLM especially and the show did benefit from it, even if the moments were brief.

It'll be interesting how the producers in Australia respond to the reation to their first series. I do think splitting each cycle over two episodes would solve many problems (but not as many as just going live with the show) but I've a feeling even though that could deliver at least an extra dozen episodes to Seven they'll prefer few episodes running for longer.

To be fair I think BBUSA have swung the other way a bit - still very much game dominated but there is a bit more personal content in than there used to be. As awful as All Stars was for example there was a concious move to put in conversations reflecting BLM especially and the show did benefit from it, even if the moments were brief.

It'll be interesting how the producers in Australia respond to the reation to their first series. I do think splitting each cycle over two episodes would solve many problems (but not as many as just going live with the show) but I've a feeling even though that could deliver at least an extra dozen episodes to Seven they'll prefer few episodes running for longer.

Thats at least promising to know for BB22. I'm finding the teens series all very game based with a huge lack of personal content. I was very impressed with the management of both formats in the earlier seasons. BB6 was great fun with the divided house and I personal really enjoyed the Dick and Daniele arc in BB8. But the seasons I am up to now are very game based, but I am looking forward to see what has come from the modern era. I must say tho if anything watching US seasons have made me really understand how much I prefer the international format with public votes. It's a fun show itself but I just find it so detached from what Big Brother is, it's probably because I'm watching them without feeds, but still if anything I am more aware of how much I prefer the old BBAU format despite my unplanned enjoyment from binging BBUS.

it spans over three months but that doesn't necessarily equal 3 months in length. If the Series started October 31st and ended December 1st thats only 32 days that spanned over 3 calendar months but is only just over one month in length.
Per my point, it still spans three months. Upfronts are a sales pitch, of course they're going to be creative with the details.

Back