Skip to main content

The day after thoughts.

Did YOU enjoy the 2020 season of Big Brother Australia?

• Yes, This BB was amazing!

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No, This BB was awful!

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Maybe, This BB was mixed!

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
Although Gretel was also scripted, she came off much more natural and could ad lib brilliantly when required
She really lost the plot with Michael though that time. I got the feeling she copped an earful from the producer during the ad break.

They really need to adopt the few rules of the USA show they didn't use this year. None of this back-to-back "HoH" bs as it means they don't have to have any long term game plan and worry about surviving the next round as winning the Nomination Challenge wouldn't be an option, and would also require strategy and alliances to become more significant than they did this year.

And a veto is sorely needed next year to introduce an element of unpredictability rather than trying to get that via editing when the result is still obvious af.

Couldn’t disagree more with a lot of this. 3 months is way too long. Especially in the current climate tv shows need to move FAST or people get bored and ratings will plummet.
The house looked great on tv and big brothers voice was great.

Im not sure why the shows need to move fast ? I really dont get peoples mindset these days. Yet Home and away is on most of the year since 1988 and it's still going strong. BB can go 3 months easily.

Im not sure why the shows need to move fast ? I really dont get peoples mindset these days. Yet Home and away is on most of the year since 1988 and it's still going strong. BB can go 3 months easily.
I think my statement has been misunderstood- MAFS etc do go for three months but the format is different. I just meant a long drawn out 00’s era BB with a daily show everyday of people sleeping and laying around wouldn’t go down well today.

I think my statement has been misunderstood- MAFS etc do go for three months but the format is different. I just meant a long drawn out 00’s era BB with a daily show everyday of people sleeping and laying around wouldn’t go down well today.
I don’t really think anyone is campaigning for that specifically. You can still keep three episodes a week, but extending the timeline doesn’t necessarily mean we’re only going to see “people sleeping and laying around”. The fact-paced nature is perfectly fine, and even commonly accepted now, but by slowing down the actual process of the format (splitting the evictions and challenges into separate episodes, for example) will allow more time to produce a more natural and steadier narrative, rather than condensing everything down to the point where virtually nothing makes sense (i.e. nomination reasons) and everything else comes across completely contrived.

There is no reason a 3-month version of this format wouldn’t work if executed properly.

Next season I would like to see a weekly special where the host enters the house and facilitates a discussion between the housemates.

The ideal aim would be challenging the housemates to speak openly about their thoughts on what happened during the week. Chat about their interactions with others in the house, possible grievances? What bothers them? I think something like this would give the show some edge and entertaining drama that this season mostly lacked aside from some of Angela's moments in the eviction room.

I loved the voice, it gave very orwellian vibes. However I didn't love the character it took on. From what I gain from the novel, big brother is meant to be a torturous, evil figure who likes messing with the housemates minds. And when big brother was telling Kieran to press the red button and was explaining the white room to him, this was the first time I had seen that evil, torturous side in a long time, and it fitted in really well. For me the voice actually fits perfectly for being an evil figure, but taking on a friendly persona felt abit awkward and an insult to the bb fundamentals.

Next season I would like to see a weekly special where the host enters the house and facilitates a discussion between the housemates.

The ideal aim would be challenging the housemates to speak openly about their thoughts on what happened during the week. Chat about their interactions with others in the house, possible grievances? What bothers them? I think something like this would give the show some edge and entertaining drama that this season mostly lacked aside from some of Angela's moments in the eviction room.
I can see it now.

“I disagree with your view on gay marriage.” DUUUNNNN. Close-up. DUUUNNNN. Reaction shot. DUUUNNNN. Another close-up. DUUUNNNN. Cut to a Diary Room clip that has no relevance. DUUUNNNN. Shot of a housemate crying from another time of day. DUUUNNNN. Opera music.

I don’t really think anyone is campaigning for that specifically. You can still keep three episodes a week, but extending the timeline doesn’t necessarily mean we’re only going to see “people sleeping and laying around”. The fact-paced nature is perfectly fine, and even commonly accepted now, but by slowing down the actual process of the format (splitting the evictions and challenges into separate episodes, for example) will allow more time to produce a more natural and steadier narrative, rather than condensing everything down to the point where virtually nothing makes sense (i.e. nomination reasons) and everything else comes across completely contrived.

There is no reason a 3-month version of this format wouldn’t work if executed properly.

Exactly. The US version being a perfect example, their last 2 seasons went for 99 days, and it also airs 3 days a week.

The last season on Nine in 2014 lasted 101 days. It seems the next season on 7 will be between 70-85 days long as its set to film for 10-12 weeks from October-December.

I think it was 2013 that was 101. 2014 was 80 which at the time was the shortest civilian season for Australia. I remember complaining that 80 was short lmao 2020 was literally less than half of that.

After watching older seasons of bb again, it does make me realise how special and magic the old format was and it does not even compare to the version 7 put up.
The reality is, it could still be pulled off, and I think there is still a large audience for it

It frustrates me that 7 is playing safe, yeah the 700k mark is steady. But why settle for that when they could easily take on the likes of masterchef and MAFS by going live, old format and taking a risk, which would easily see them at the least 800-900k imo

Back