Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: Housemates

The thing for me is, in previous seasons, there often seemed to be a conflict between who the housemates wanted OUT, and who the audience wanted to keep.

I fear that we won't get to know who they are, won't be able to make our own judgements until the final two or three remain. This places the audience at the mercy of the edit, which will no doubt be skewed to the final 2 or 3 HMs.

The thing for me is, in previous seasons, there often seemed to be a conflict between who the housemates wanted OUT, and who the audience wanted to keep.

I fear that we won't get to know who they are, won't be able to make our own judgements until the final two or three remain. This places the audience at the mercy of the edit, which will no doubt be skewed to the final 2 or 3 HMs.

Like the conflict with Estelle in 2012?

My understanding that is exactly an issue they've faced. Will be interesting to see what they do in the editing process as this is the first time they've been able to really hone the storyline (rather than the quick turnaround of the other series)
Have you heard of any great storylines that we can expect (without the actual spoilers)? I really hope we get to know the people as well and it’s not ALL about the game playing....

Angela is the first housemate that looks like legitimately good value
Love it...doesn't back down. Their promo worked as far as her archetypal branding goes (for me anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like how most of the housemates shown so far have some level of fame or recognition. Gives me Survivor champions v contenders vibes. I just hope they, along with the rest, will use strategy and not be all boring with the whole loyalty schtick.
I think your onto something. They were probs inspired by the ratings survivor got from the ‘celebs’ they put in. If it wasn’t for the ‘celebs’ they had I don’t think those seasons would have rated as they did.

I’m ok with them putting in maybe 3 or 4 housemates with abit of a following. But any more than that just takes away the purpose of the show and makes it feel weird.

I think their pulling off a similar tactic to what masterchef did, putting in all stars so people can watch and get used to the new judges which was so smart.

Benjamin did that (well, it was water) in his season and went on to win. What message does that send? Being an arsehole is a winning strategy? I'm beginning to agree with John Howard.
Ray was being an asshole as well, don't really blame Ben for doing that. Also it's TV, it's not meant to be real, just look it.

Never really a fan of housemates being released in a drip feed manner as it just suggests producers have their favourites and those that may not even get a trailer are just there to make up the numbers.

It'll be interesting to see how long the promo housemates last with it being pre-recorded - are they highlighting people who go far in the game or those that feature early on, but also get cut relatively early.

Never really a fan of housemates being released in a drip feed manner as it just suggests producers have their favourites and those that may not even get a trailer are just there to make up the numbers.

It'll be interesting to see how long the promo housemates last with it being pre-recorded - are they highlighting people who go far in the game or those that feature early on, but also get cut relatively early.

It's an interesting one and we've heard they might not release all the names before the show, so it begs the question why do these people make the promos?

Not sure if stating the obvious here, but surely, most importantly, the pre-launch housemate ads showcase those the exec's deem as offering the strongest and broadest appeal, to maximise mass audience numbers for launch. Then, convince them to stay thereafter.

Is the important younger demo a more fickle, less loyal viewer with a shorter attention span? I suspect so, and much closer to launch, that the last housemate reveals, plus maybe shenanigan snippets, will heavily target this demo. One evil outlaw, one super hero ? *jokes*. I'd expect those last reveals to be MAFS style contenders given a lengthy prelaunch campaign, limitted palette of housemates (eclectic) and a capping of people's interest.

Did they audience test the 'characters' (if not actuals) sort of like they do for movies? Surely the most recent season of MAFS will have been scrupulously case studied from the first teaser to the finale ratings.

Also wonder if they're doing some 'awareness, interest and intention to view' tracking (polling/omnibus). Maybe too sophisticated and expensive for local reality TV, although with a $20 million? production budget, shouldn't they invest at least $200k/1% minimum in audience research, if not more?

But it was real. Do you think they digitally added water on Bradley post production?
Obviously not, I mean the situations in TV aren't meant to be real and are always highly dramatised. It's reality tv, you're not expecting someone to throw their drink in 2020?

I'd expect those last reveals to be MAFS style contenders given a lengthy prelaunch campaign, limitted palette of housemates (eclectic) and a capping of people's interest.

Did they audience test the 'characters' (if not actuals) sort of like they do for movies? Surely the most recent season of MAFS will have been scrupulously case studied from the first teaser to the finale ratings.

MAFS is coming up a bit recently... which I find confusing, given the intention of the production team to distance themselves from that type of cast. I really doubt that there will be a number of housemates akin to those seen on MAFS. Sure, there has to be some that are there to incite conflict, but none in the way the cast of MAFS approaches conflict.

I’m willing to be proven wrong, but given what we’ve heard about the cast thus far, perhaps they were too cautious in casting housemates that a) have a proven record in media of some description and b) have little desire to bicker over baseless, unremarkable grievances.

Of course, place anyone in that type of environment and they’re likely to go a little stir crazy...

Back