Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

...as I said in the very first post in this thread... I remember 'Wagon Wheels' being a lot bigger when I was at School too... it's a travesty I tells ya!... lol!... cheers.

Wheel+Wheelie+size+comparison.JPG

...ha!... I’m chuffed because I’m in the middle of moving houses and have just recently found a rubber ball that I used to play with my dog over 50 years ago at the time that I used to live with my parents... yes... I’ve finally thrown it out... dog slobber and all lol!... after all... we’re downsizing at the moment lol!... I dunno... the things we keep eh?... lol!... cheers.

Havent been around in awhile due to, you know, reasons........
but soooooooooo good to see you back posting Mr S.
Wishing you the fuzziest of fuzzy goodwill and godspeed in your ongoing recovery.
Reasons, huh? Fuzz?

Remember how big burning CDs was? That was all the rage. Whether it was copying music or computer programs. People at school loading up backpacks with music CDs to copy. Games and computer programs constantly copied.

is
Remember how big burning CDs was? That was all the rage. Whether it was copying music or computer programs. People at school loading up backpacks with music CDs to copy. Games and computer programs constantly copied.

...ha!... I remember doing that myself as a fully grown adult even just a few years back!... and... oh gawd... I realised the other day that I’m telling my dear departed dads ‘dad’s’ jokes lately... fuggit I’m getting old!... and it proves that I WAS listening at the time even though I used to pretend I wasn’t lol!... cheers.

...I just remembered something that I used to do in the 70’s... I used to make old vinyl records into bowls... why?... because it was a fad at the time and I obviously had a lot of time on my hands... lol!... it was more out of pure curiosity and to see if it could be done or not I guess... don’t worry... they weren’t my vinyl records... they were my mums records lol!... afterall... I hardly think that ‘Don Lanes Greatest Hits’ or whatever it was called could be considered to be much of a great loss could it?... besides... it died for a great cause... to satisfy my curiosity lol!... (mum cracked the shits big time when she read the label when I gave her the new ‘fruit bowl’ as a gift lol)... and... (needless to say...that phase didn’t last too long)... haha!... I can’t remember how old I was at the time... but it was a phase that I went through... cheers.

...since I had my major stroke in January of this year I’ve had to re-learn how to speak/ shower myself/ re- dress myself/ regain the use of my right hand/right arm and leg being that I was completely paralysed down my right-hand side... I’m making a s-l-o-w progress unfortunately but I am progressing day by day at least... never say die and never give up is my motto... but aside from all of that having my sweet darling beautiful wife helping me dry myself after a shower each morning is giving me a sweet memory of when I was a little boy being dried by my dear departed mother... when drying my hair my sweet wife ‘roughs me up’... that is... she vigorously rubs my hair with the towel really hard and fast... I love it!... she does it exactly the same way as my mother did... talk about going the full circle!...lol!... fond memories indeed!... cheers.

...we had thunder and a little bit of rain last night... as a young kid my dearly departed mum used to shake and cry in the biggest storms... when I was older I asked her why she cried during the thunder... I was horrified when she told me why... she was a 12 year old girl in London during World War II during the Blitz whereas the Germans were bombing London... she said that as the thunder came closer and closer to her it sounded similar to the bombs coming closer and surrounding them until people were obviously dying... I treated her with so much more respect after that... it’s amazing what others have been through... God bless my beautiful mum... cheers.

Our poor parents went through tough times, amazing they managed to survive....and almost thrive

Wars, depression,,,,,,as a teen I mostly hated my Dad, and there were so many kids sharing my experience
IE all our Dad's lived through a violent scary war, they all clearly had PTSD, they were all shit Dad's prone to violent outburst we could not understand
All of them a bit mad, and inside very sad....with no help
The - we hate dad club, was very widespread

Symptoms shared - beating up male sons, throwing meals/plates at walls or people, ripping phones from walls, smashing tv screens with bricks

Thankfully I got to know Dad as an adult, and understood, and he changed

Remember summer rains.....when we all ran, danced and pranced in the warm lovely water
Drought years when our gutters flooded with a really big storm,and our storm drains got blocked and huge puddles
made it exciting for bikes to swish thru

Remember summer rains.....when we all ran, danced and pranced in the warm lovely water
Drought years when our gutters flooded with a really big storm,and our storm drains got blocked and huge puddles
made it exciting for bikes to swish thru
Yeah I remember rushing out to stand in the gutter just to feel the force of the water rushing by my legs.

I love this thread thank you for starting it @Mr Stickyfingers

I read it lying in bed, trying to catch up, but just at page 7 so far, it's a nice slow giggly read
It is a bit like a book/short stories, lovely if you are feeling a bit shit, and if your hands are too sore to post stuff
Could be edited into a fun article or short story one day

Love, love, love how many kids had condensed milk as a treat/desired.....My brother and I used to get a tin each for Xmas

I love this thread thank you for starting it @Mr Stickyfingers

I read it lying in bed, trying to catch up, but just at page 7 so far, it's a nice slow giggly read
It is a bit like a book/short stories, lovely if you are feeling a bit shit, and if your hands are too sore to post stuff
Could be edited into a fun article or short story one day

Love, love, love how many kids had condensed milk as a treat/desired.....My brother and I used to get a tin each for Xmas
What an excellent post about a sublime thread.
Great to read so many passionate and fond reminders of yesteryear.
Demonstrating such a commonality and rich spirit that we all share.
Makes one feel all warm and glowing inside.
Im sporting the hugest cheshire grin.
Thanks to all for sharing.

Back