Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

How likely is it for those job openings to be for Big Brother? Could it be for LEGO Masters or a different Endemol show?

For all we know, it could be in production live in Q3

This occurred to me as well but would they be going through the casting process this early if that were the case?

how has nobody mentioned the second title card yet?9 people entered a house”.
They aren't talking about BBAU here. That was 2001 so was not 20 years ago.. so they must be referring to the original (Dutch?) show, despite not actually showing it in the promo.

EDIT: Yes, the first BB was the Dutch one with nine HMs in 1999, 20 years ago.

They aren't talking about BBAU here. That was 2001 so was not 20 years ago.. so they must be referring to the original (Dutch?) show, despite not actually showing it in the promo.

EDIT: Yes, the first BB was the Dutch one with nine HMs in 1999, 20 years ago.
Makes sense. I picked up on the “20 years” also, but assumed that was just a ballpark as “18 years” wouldn’t have the same impact, lol.

The AU footage alongside this text threw me off.

Well hello everyone. Im an American and someone shared the upfront video of the return of BBAU on twitter. As a fan of Big Brother, i have to say its an exciting development. I cant speak to the pre-recording aspect. (Sounds dreadful) But first let me clear up some things about the "American" format. First on the video from the Ch7 Upfront, the competitions and tasks you see in the video are from BIG BROTHER CANADA....not Big Brother USA. The chatting and talking scenes, voting and winner scenes are from BBUSA (2nd part of the video). BBCAN has just wrapped up its 7th season. BBUSA has been on air in its current format since 2001 continuously with the same production company, they just wrapped up Series 21. And its consistently #️️️1 in its time slot that entire time. The first season of Big Brother USA followed the international version and the ratings were terrible and was viewed as incredibly boring. So they retooled the show for the next season and its been a hit ever since. I will say that production-wise BBCAN has waaaaaay better production values than BBUSA. BBCAN has slowly morphed into a mix of the look and feel of Big Brother UK, but uses the format/rules that originated with BBUSA. Before Canada started their own show 7 years ago, they watched the US version since its begining in 2001. And even to this day they get both versions, but the CBS will not allow another English language version to air in the US. So most of us in the US have to turn into CIA agents to watch BBCAN.

IF YOU KNOW DONT ANYTHING ABOUT BIG BROTHER NORTH AMERICA, PERDIAM HAS PUT TOGETHER A NICE BEGINNERS GUIDE FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE NORTH AMERICAN VERSION OF BIG BROTHER.

I would suggest watching BBCAN 5 to get a good idea how I think the BBAU house will feel and how the show will be formatted. It will be flashier, slicker than BBUSA. The full season is posted here. Season 5 is the best season of BBCAN in my opinion.
BBUSA Season 10 is hands down the best season of the show ever! The masterful gameplay of Dan Gheesling. Plus the awesome verbal fights....its a great season and delivers on so many levels. Also this season had very few twists and had all new players. Back to Basics and boy did it deliver.

The BBNorth American version is about stategy and it still is a social experienment. It combines both. Perdiam did a story on Danielle Reyes, probably one of the best players in the history of the BigBrother. Even though she didnt win. It was masterful to watch her play. I was therefore it. This is how the game should be played.

Last edited:
But more to the point, how has nobody mentioned the second title card yet?9 people entered a house”...umm, did somebody forget how to count......?!!! O_O

Yeah I thought maybe they’d be referring to original Dutch cast but that was 6 contestants I think. Both US & UK had 10 cast members on Day 1...

Agreed, Big Brother was designed as a social experiment and should stay a social experiment.
The US version is much more of a social experiment than what BBUK and BBAU became, when it was just over produced and became about producers favourites. It really is an experiment in power, friendships and alliances and also thanks to some bad casting often brings up social issues like racism, sexism etc. too. This years BBUSA was probably offered more as a social experiment than any Big Brother in recent years.

Believe me once you get into it the fact you don't vote really doesn't matter - you barely have any influence as a viewer voting anyway. However BBUSA never ditched the public vote completely, so if Seven do pre-record it they're losing that opportunity to keep the public involved. Initially they retained the public vote with things like rewarding contestants with letters or a phone call from home, but then expanded it to offer gameplaying opportunities. One season had viewers control a player throughout and another had them control a secret alliance of players, choosing tasks for them. Most recently for the last few seasons (but not this year) the show introduced secret powers (not too disimilar to the BB Aus Superpower) which were generally awarded by viewers in the early weeks.

Does anybody have a link to a single episode of BBUSA that they would point to as being the best example of the USA version ?

I'd like to dip a toe but don't want to watch a whole season just to get there. And yes, it may be difficult with just a single episode, but I'm more interested in the "look & feel" and production smarts.
Now that's a challenge, especially as often the episode is great because there is a pay-off from events earlier in the season, usually when an underdog comes to the forefront.

BB Canada possibly the better option as that follows the US format but had much more influenced in style by Big Brother internationally than the US.

A live double eviction episode is probably the best way to show you the mechanism. Usually these events take place over the week (with an additional comp before the nominations which usually determines food for the week or Haves/Have Nots, or in the US now is generally linked to a power or the ability to make a 3rd nomination), however at least once a season there is a live double eviction where after the usual eviction a whole week of competitions and ceremonies take place live and another person is evicted.

This is an abbreviated 15-minute version of a double eviction episode which shows the complete cycle of "a week":

So to summarise for the uninitiated:
HoH Comp - Houseguests (not housemates) compete to become the Head of Household and win not just immunity, but the power to nominate two people for eviction. The outgoing HoH cannot compete in the next competition, so nobody can be HoH two weeks running with the exception of the final HoH comp.

Nominations - the HoH nominates two people for eviction. Over the years there have been variations which add a third nominee, either directly by viewers, as a consequence of losing a challenge or nominated (usually secretly) by someone who either won a comp or a power.

Veto - the nominees, HoH and usually three players selected at random compete for the Power of Veto. The winner can choose, if they wish, to save a nominee, with the HoH then having to name a replacement. Occassionally there is a strategy referred to as the "backdoor", where the target for eviction isn't nominated in the hope they won't be picked to play in the Veto. The plan then is to save one of the nominees (who'll have been told they're "pawns") and nominate the real target as the replacement

Eviction Vote - all the HGs vote live within the eviction show, except for the nominees and HoH, for the person they want to leave. The HoH will only vote in the event of a tie. The evictee then leaves immediately and is interviewed, though usually rather than seeing clips of their time in the house they just see goodbye messages from the remaining HGs.

At the final three stage a three-part HoH competition determines the final HoH, who chooses one other finalist to join them in the final two. A jury, made up of the last 7-9 evictees (occassionally if an even number of jurors there is also a viewers vote) who will vote for the winner. These evicted HGs are sequestered once they leave the house, so in their interviews nothing is revealed which could out peoples gameplays and those goodbye messages do form part of jury management.

If you're willing to spend a bit longer someone on Youtube seems to sum up series in 2 and a half hours - this is BB2 Canada:

P.S. Also worth noting BB Canada's house is entirely built in a studio, including the back yard, though they do also have an actual outdoor space which includes a hot tub. The house has actually been in 3 different studios over the last 7 years, and although it keeps the same basic layout they have actually made significant changes with each move which keep it feeling fresh. They like to theme their house too so they don't refer to it as a house - in BB5 it was the Oddysey, the season before it was the BBCAN Grand Hotel.

Last edited:
How likely is it for those job openings to be for Big Brother? Could it be for LEGO Masters or a different Endemol show?

For all we know, it could be in production live in Q3

that’s what I was just wondering. Could it be for survivor even? Endemol shine do survivor and they are doing two seasons next year. They have just finished filming the first and perhaps it’s for the second?

Thus far, this isn't looking promising.
If those who watch the U.S. Big Brother, is it constant talk of nominations? Is there much of that 'general' social talk we've had in all the other seasons of the Aussie version?

If those who watch the U.S. Big Brother, is it constant talk of nominations? Is there much of that 'general' social talk we've had in all the other seasons of the Aussie version?

Yes, there have been times where the gang is just hanging out, showmances develop, there are those kinds of scenes. However, if it's not those or comps, there is a fair amount of game being discussed (or mostly whispered, with subtitles).

So, again, if we merge the two continents' formats, here's what a schedule might look like:

Sunday: Daily Show (covering the weekend)/Live Eviction (featuring Head of Household Comp)
Monday: Daily Show (Task Part 1/HOH Nominates) [The HOH usually nominates at the end of the Sunday daily show in the US]
Tuesday: Daily Show (Task Part 2)
Wednesday: Daily Show (Task Part 3/Power of Veto Comp & Ceremony) [Again, based on the US version]
Thursday: Daily Show (Task Part 4)/Confidential
Friday: Daily Show (Task Part 5 & Results)/Friday Night Live

That spreads out the task over five nights, just like BBAU and BBUK (I imagine), and gives us Saturday night off.

Thus far, this isn't looking promising.
Yes and no. The show can be a bit heavy on the talk of nominations, but they have notably put in more of the lighter moments in recent years. The sort of social talk you're used to though is there on the live feeds, but even if it isn't pre-recorded seems unlikely they'll be any kind of live feeds for the show.

It's also worth remembering that the Aussie show doesn't have to be edited the same way as the US show - and also Aussies will likely play the game differently anyway.

Yes, there have been times where the gang is just hanging out, showmances develop, there are those kinds of scenes. However, if it's not those or comps, there is a fair amount of game being discussed (or mostly whispered, with subtitles).

So, again, if we merge the two continents' formats, here's what a schedule might look like:

Sunday: Daily Show (covering the weekend)/Live Eviction (featuring Head of Household Comp)
Monday: Daily Show (Task Part 1/HOH Nominates) [The HOH usually nominates at the end of the Sunday daily show in the US]
Tuesday: Daily Show (Task Part 2)
Wednesday: Daily Show (Task Part 3/Power of Veto Comp & Ceremony) [Again, based on the US version]
Thursday: Daily Show (Task Part 4)/Confidential
Friday: Daily Show (Task Part 5 & Results)/Friday Night Live

That spreads out the task over five nights, just like BBAU and BBUK (I imagine), and gives us Saturday night off.
Firstly Seven have already pretty much ruled out Fridays, they're programming Sunday to Thursday. Secondly I don't think the weekly task is that key to bringing through to this version - there is probably enough going on as it is - although it could sit alongside the structured weekly comps. I like the idea of the competitions throughout the week all being linked by a theme, and that could link to a weekly task.

If the show were live in a weekly format I think to get a key format point in each show it would run something like:
Sunday - Live Eviction
Monday - Live HoH Comp (though this could be recorded after the Sunday eviction to give a full days campaigning before the nominations)
Tuesday - Nominations
Wednesday - Veto Comp
Thursday - Veto Ceremony

However based on recent series even though they've said they're scheduling 5 nights a week I'd be surprised if it didn't just air Sunday to Wednesday. And if the 20 episode thing is true (and I doubt it myself), and the show is pre-recorded I imagine it'll be on a two-episode cycle with the HoH Comp and Nominations in the first episode and Veto and eviction in the second.

I'll call it now - BB2020 will flop, but Seven seem to love relaunching formats so they'll relaunch it in BB2021 under the classic rules with a series marking 20 years of BB Australia, and possibly even get Gretel in to host that and maybe make it All Stars - or All Stars vs New Stars at least.

It’s all well and good that BBUS and BBCAN have been successful in their markets but I’m not convinced the format will work culturally in Australia.

Usually on Aus reality shows there’s one or two contestants who work strategically, but they get labelled as the villains for doing so. Big Brother has even made a huge deal about this in the past: are they “playing the game” or “flying under the radar”? A whole house of ”villains” might put a bad taste in people’s mouths.

Getting the casting right is key but I will say as much as I love the format I'm not sure it is right for Australia either. The hybrid Brazilian format might have a better chance, but I'm just not sure Big Brother returning after 6 years with an unfamilar format is the best move. It's also worth noting things could change between now and broadcast - when Nine bought the rights it strongly looked like they were basically going to do Secret Story under the brand Big Brother: Secrets but that was basically forgotten by the time it aired.

On the flip side they might sell the competition element rather than the gameplay element, and considering how popular Friday Night Live was (god knows why) there might be logic in that, especially as this time those comps would be spread throughout the show and actually have consequences.

On the flip side they might sell the competition element rather than the gameplay element, and considering how popular Friday Night Live was (god knows why) there might be logic in that, especially as this time those comps would be spread throughout the show and actually have consequences.
You have a point. All I forever hear from “general” viewers of the show and on social media is about them wanting FNL. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ch7 capitalises on that in a way Ch9 attempted (and failed) to do.

Looking at the upfront preview, I can't consolidate the idea of a bigbrother FNL looking like a CH7 production of The Gladiators.

I find it jarring to see such high quality, over-produced sets for a physical challenge. However, having said that, CH9's version of physical challenge pails in significance to my preferred LIVE Friday night games.

I'm not sure I've explained that well enough. 😩

Many thanks to @Brekkie for the youtube links and the explainers. :happy:

Does anyone have any idea when Channel 7 release which shows are airing when? I'm wondering how long it could be before we find out whether it'll be Live or Pre-Recorded.

Back