Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

I was gonna give the North American format a chance—even though I don't want that to be our Big Brother—but if it's truly filmed months in advance then I'm seriously not watching.

Not auditioning now either: I don't wanna be part of a shit show lol

That some out of touch position on what viewers want, anyone knows that would flop. Imagine spending 20 million alone on licensing a brand that goes against the literal brand.

Hope it's not true.

Surely Endemol wouldn't propose this concept that is completely not Big Brother.

Hopefully that was just out of the air reporting and that seven are listing to the public saying they want old Big Brother.

can't wait to support contestants based on sportsbet betting odds.

but this discrepancy between filming and showing is ridiculous (if the rumours are to be believed).

Winner will be as obvious as Angie’s Bachelorette Winner Sportsbet odds. 🙄

live steaming goes against the increasing level of producer driven content in reality tv. Can’t see seven bucking the trend.

I guess we’ll find out in a matter of hours. Really hoping it’s not filmed months in advance. That’s dreadful.

BUT crazier ideas have become hits like The Masked Singer...

Sticking with the cooking theme, it appears increasingly likely a new cooking format featuring former Masterchef judges Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan will be revealed. The new big-budget format is expected to premiere in August after the Toyko Olympics. With the two big names judges onboard, Seven Studios will no doubt be hoping to not only recapture the Australian public's attention, but also sell this format internationally.

If that is true, and this cooking show will be shown in August, then wouldn't that mean new big brother won't be shown in August but maybe earlier? Would be silly to waste two potentially high rating tv shows in the one month.

It is possible to execute the North American format in Australia effectively if they can somehow merge the two.

Sunday: Daily Show (covering the weekend)/Live Eviction (featuring Head of Household)
Monday: Daily Show (Task Part 1/Nominations)
Tuesday: Daily Show (Task Part 2)
Wednesday: Daily Show (Task Part 3/Power of Veto Comp & Ceremony)
Thursday: Daily Show (Task Part 4)/Confidential
Friday: Daily Show (Task Part 5 & Results)/Friday Night Live

That has it on six nights a week. If they can keep the tasks (which is a good part of the show for most people), they should be fine. If it devolves into a constant strategy-fest, maybe not.

If that is true that is the biggest stuff up ever. Yes, I'm a massive fan of the US/Canadian format (and it took some time for me to come around to it) but it also works because it is live and the live feeds are such an important element of it. Indeed the US is one of the few long running version to continue having multiple live feeds - many versions that didn't axe the live feed did at least cut back to a single stream.

Seven will lose all the fans before they start if they go down that route. Really hope it is TVBlackbox being gullible to anything their "insider" tells them rather than there being any truth in it, but even for them it seems too random not to be true.

If these rumours are correct (and I’m praying to any god that will listen that they’re not) would this be the first big brother in any country to pre-record an entire season?
I only know of three incidents where an entire series has been pre-recorded. The first was Teen Big Brother in the UK, which was intended as an educational spin-off but ended up being re-edited for primetime broadcast. The second was a celeb season in Belgium, which I think aired as weekly episodes, and the third was the pilot (and only) season of Big Brother China, which aired across 12 episodes.

It's a shame now money talks and production companies sell out. In the early days you even had to get permission to paint the walls a different colour to their original series (and actually BBUK was the first to have a weekly eviction format and needed permission for that, a format that then became the norm). Sadly though thanks to numerous sales the owners of Big Brother just see it as an asset to make money from - it's creator hasn't had any ownership of it for a number of years now.

E9063D81-7CB5-4BAE-9664-115BE329C60F.jpeg
Channel 7 alienating the audience that sparked excitement for the revival in the first place...I'd say I'm surprised but...I know who they are 🤡

If true. It’s DOA - no way it will rate or survive. It’s typical Seven to come in a destroy a format and not listen to what the market/viewers want.

This all doesn’t make sense though. What TV black box has said so far:

-20 episodes - Less episodes to save money
First of all, all that money spent on building a house, for 20 episodes sounds ludicrous. The more episodes the series runs for means it is cheaper to make?
- Premiering in Feb... Now filming in Feb and airing in August?
At first they were saying it’s going to premiere in Feb and now they are saying it’s going to be filmed in Feb. Sounds odd.
The only way I can see this whole post production series being done is if this is a short Celebrity/ All Stars season. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense as to why they would do it, especially for a regular series? Start off with All Stars and then a regular season? That would make more sense

-No host to save money.
No host doesn’t save that much money IMO. We aren’t talking 10mill to host one show.

I’ll take all this with a grain of salt.
Seven only had confirm they had the rights last weekend when it lapsed at Nine. It’s all still very early stages.
I also doubt Endemol would allow them to remove the viewer involvement. No evictions, no host, no live shows. It’s not BB then?
So a person gets evicted and they will do a car ride like the bachelor with them driving off? Would remove any element that Big Brother is about in my opinion.

However if what Is being reported is true. I for one won’t be watching and this will be the final death of BB in Australia. It won’t survive this.
Endemol and 7 will be to blame for it. All due to of 7 being tight arses and not giving viewers what they deserve.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a massive fan of the US/Canadian format (and it took some time for me to come around to it) but it also works because it is live and the live feeds are such an important element of it. Indeed the US is one of the few long running version to continue having multiple live feeds - many versions that didn't axe the live feed did at least cut back to a single stream.

In the case of the U.S., those live feeds are only available for CBS All Access subscribers and those who manage to hack into it and post it elsewhere.

In the case of the U.S., those live feeds are only available for CBS All Access subscribers and those who manage to hack into it and post it elsewhere.
That has always been the case though - generally the live feeds have been available for a subscription fee. That's how it was for most seasons in Australia too.

For the record Canada offer them for free. The value in the live feeds is immeasurable - there is no better advertising for the show and it does what all formats strive for now - drive viewer engagement on social media 24/7. Yes, it does means there are spoilers ahead of the show (although key format points are blacked out) but that's part of Big Brother and a true BB fan is always going to tune in to find out how that moment occured rather than skip the episode because they know what's going on.

True viewer engagement is fans being able to follow the show 24/7 and the live feeds offer that. Voting is actually a very small part of it and it is all about engaging with what you're watching rather than having a small sense of power. You are as engaged with a reality format sending your one vote amongst 100,000 others to vote to evict or save someone as you are shouting at the TV hoping housemates vote a certain way to get the best result.

Back