Skip to main content

R U OK Support Thread

That's no good, and it's hard to turn your head off when you're feeling like that. Hope you're feeling better soon.
When I worry excessively, I have learned to tell myself to think of something positive, live for the moment and don't think of anything beyond the moment. It's taken me a long time to get there, but I was terrible what if-er, and invent all sorts of problems which never ever eventuated. It's a total waste of energy, but it's is really hard to stop when it get's a hold of your thoughts.

Thank you. I was spiralling but your words help

Double post edit
Should utilise this spot to say that after 5 and a half months post toe/synthetic cartilage op I finally went to work with a Doc Marten boot on rather than a flip flop. Kind of sore, but still improving. Can't do anything with a slight heel yet though.

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
Thank you gang. I felt so alone and hopeless and I am really grateful for the support and stories because I always thought I was the only person who got to that place. I felt like everyone else was normal and I was abnormal

Cuddling cats, kittens, puppies , dogs and any animal makes you feel good. I miss having a cat in my life, but while we still have oldies overseas in their late 80s I won't have another one as we have no one any more to come and live in at short notice for any length of time if we have to make an emergency trip home. There was a beautiful wee black kitten in the pet shop last week and walked by with tears in my eyes as I'd have taken him/her in a moment if I was in a position to do so.

Thank you gang. I felt so alone and hopeless and I am really grateful for the support and stories because I always thought I was the only person who got to that place. I felt like everyone else was normal and I was abnormal
You wouldn't believe how many people go down this path.
You're not alone and there is always someone to talk to. Talking is good, even if it's to yourself!

Last edited:
Yeah I hate that wave of sadness or emptiness that washes through you and you can't explain it or shake it. I hope you're feeling better Delcan. I cuddled some cats and puppies today.
I heard someone describe what they were experiencing as as free floating fear once. In my mind I converted it to free floating sadness or free floating despair. That kind of just seems to come out of nowhere. For no real reason.

I'm not OK. I'm feeling very insecure and I'm beating myself up and I want it to stop

You are a good egg @delcan .......
and I personally think most of us/a lot of people anyway, more often than not feel like we are frantically treading water/madly dog paddling beneath the surface just keeping our heads above water..... the world we live in, it is a hard world out there.

I have a fucked up workplace at the moment, seriously considering leaving, taking some sanity time off.

I look forward to the election, and my hopes that Libs are decimated.

And join in watching Eurovision please!!!!That is my best ever antidote to feeling shitty:)

Feeling sad.

Three weeks ago someone dumped three tiny kittens at the pagoda. Palm sized, one month old kittens. As luck would have it, someone had abandoned a mama cat with her five kittens only a few weeks earlier. Her own were eating solid food, so I kidnapped Katy and took her and the three little ones home to my place. All was well except the biggest kept dominating Katy's milk and I could see the runt (Tiny) falling behind. So I started giving Tiny one on one time with Katy in the bedroom to try and beef her up.

Thanks guys. I try not to get too close to the pagoda kitties and certainly avoid bringing them home, but these girls would not have lasted two days if I'd left them there, and having a feeding mama available was a gift that could have clinched it for the babies, but it was not to be. Anyway they had 2-3 weeks with a doting stand-in mama that they would not have had otherwise so I am glad they got to enjoy a little life and love even if only for a short time. And it was a pleasure to have them here.

...Timmy... what a very noble act that was by you indeed... you make me feel proud of you so much you’ll never know... it’s such a sad story but I’m so pleased to read that you are so kind... loving and completely compassionate about fellow living creatures upon this Planet Earth... you are such an aspiring person indeed... I wish there were more people like you... a sad outcome but at least you tried... a lot more than others would be bothered to do in a similar position... more the credit to you.... well done... cheers.

Last edited:
...oh bugger... something went wrong with that last post...expand it to see what I said if you’re interested ... I even forgot to put ‘cheers’ so... cheers cheers.

I'm not OK. I'm feeling very insecure and I'm beating myself up and I want it to stop

...I know how you feel delcan... when I had my 2nd and 3rd strokes I was pissed off with myself even though I did everything that the Doctors had told me to do to prevent them but unfortunately I’m in the ‘33% of people that will never know why they happened’ catagory... it sucks but it happens... I was beating myself up for no fault of my own... I did everything they said... everyone’s body and mind are different...that’s the way it is I am told...

...when I think about how both of my parents died peacefully in their sleep and then am told that I nearly died in my last two strokes and I wake every morning each time I don’t ever beat myself up anymore... I don’t care anymore if anyone tries to put pressure on me or attempt to put guilt trips upon me... I know when something is my fault... even then... I don’t beat myself up... I put it down to being a ‘learning curve’ in Life itself... Life is too short to worry about stuff like that methinks personally...

...I am me and I wouldn’t swap that with ANYONE ... I’m now living life as it is dealt out to me... each day is a blessing to me... as I said... Life is way too short... love each day as it is... and even more important... love yourself as you are... the most important thing on this Planet is YOU... I sure hope that this deep blue funk leaves you soon... you deserve more happiness in your life as do I and everyone else around... cheers.

...evenin’all... well... I am now in Belmont Hospital and am doing different Physiology but all is going great... I may be leaving Hospital within the next 2-3 weeks hopefully... our house in Windsor is on the market now and am told that there have been a few curious potential buyers already thankfully... we are going to be living at our daughters and husbands place in the meantime at Caves Beach near Newcastle... everything is beginning to pan out for us now thankfully...

...not too much more to report at the moment... life is such a tizz at the moment so.......... I hope that you feel better delcan... and... well done Timmy... cheers.

Last edited:
...I know how you feel delcan... when I had my 2nd and 3rd strokes I was pissed off with myself even though I did everything that the Doctors had told me to do to prevent them but unfortunately I’m in the ‘33% of people that will never know why they happened’ catagory... it sucks but it happens... I was beating myself up for no fault of my own... I did everything they said... everyone’s body and mind are different...that’s the way it is I am told...

So not fair Sticky
And, have you checked out the stem cell treatments being tried for stroke patients?
Amazing results, can even reverse stroke damage, and can make you feel normal a day after a stroke
My sear sweet Mum died from a massive stroke, and she had mini ones going on for a few years previously,her optician diagnosed the mini one's after effects in her eyes.
I am fairly fit x fingers I didn't inherit Mum's issues

So lovely to see you please check Doctor Who thread, and watch the beautiful music clip starring Peter, song by his young distant cousin Lewis Capaldi
xxx ooo

Big hugs Delcan. My daughter went through some crazy stuff (not that intense in the scheme of things, but her method of dealing with it wasn't the best) Her school put us onto a place called headspace & they also hooked me up with a lady who does a 6 week program for anxiety & depression & kinda life coaching. I was all.... I'm fine, ain't no problem with me! but I'll go for my daughter...…… well...………….. All I can say is I WAS WOKE UP!! Sensations I had felt since my childhood were/are anxiety. I had no idea what I was feeling was "anxiety"

Let me get to the good stuff!! My lady helped me to work out my head a bit. I now give myself "worry time" so when I go to sleep & I start tossing & turning etc etc I tell myself - thinking it all through now isn't actually going to change anything, just make myself tired (and cranky) I'll think this shiz through when I drive to work tomorrow. When tomorrow comes, your busy doing normal stuff to worry & overthink.

I would often wake up sad, and just cry, I didn't know why, I was just sad that day. I think it was from the night on night stress sleeping. You have to give yourself permission to make mistakes, cos it's human, remind yourself you did your best at that time, it's all you can do & try again.

I would often get into screaming matches on the phone with my sister (i'm 37 & she's 49 lol!) and we were like teenagers. I would have the shits at her for not listening & understanding etc etc & get myself worked up & *had* to tell her my reasons etc etc. Now I just breath in & out & let her talk, if she takes my opinion on board, then good, if she doesn't, then sucks to be her, but I still keep being me.

It's taken me every one of my 37 & two kids & a chance meeting with a person in the right field to finally feel free of my own mind. I'm still so used to my old tricks tho, but I'm working less hard now to relax myself.

Geez, that was a rant sorry :O I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone at all x

Last edited:
Big hugs Delcan. My daughter went through some crazy stuff (not that intense in the scheme of things, but her method of dealing with it wasn't the best) Her school put us onto a place called headspace & they also hooked me up with a lady who does a 6 week program for anxiety & depression & kinda life coaching. I was all.... I'm fine, ain't no problem with me! but I'll go for my daughter...…… well...………….. All I can say is I WAS WOKE UP!! Sensations I had felt since my childhood were/are anxiety. I had no idea what I was feeling was "anxiety"

Let me get to the good stuff!! My lady helped me to work out my head a bit. I now give myself "worry time" so when I go to sleep & I start tossing & turning etc etc I tell myself - thinking it all through now isn't actually going to change anything, just make myself tired (and cranky) I'll think this shiz through when I drive to work tomorrow. When tomorrow comes, your busy doing normal stuff to worry & overthink.

I would often wake up sad, and just cry, I didn't know why, I was just sad that day. I think it was from the night on night stress sleeping. You have to give yourself permission to make mistakes, cos it's human, remind yourself you did your best at that time, it's all you can do & try again.

I would often get into screaming matches on the phone with my sister (i'm 37 & she's 49 lol!) and we were like teenagers. I would have the shits at her for not listening & understanding etc etc & get myself worked up & *had* to tell her my reasons etc etc. Now I just breath in & out & let her talk, if she takes my opinion on board, then good, if she doesn't, then sucks to be her, but I still keep being me.

It's taken me every one of my 37 & two kids & a chance meeting with a person in the right field to finally feel free of my own mind. I'm still so used to my old tricks tho, but I'm working less hard now to relax myself.

Geez, that was a rant sorry :O I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone at all x

Thank you. I really appreciate you sharing this

I found I posted this on my facebook timeline a year ago today... it seems appropriate to the conversation:

"Piglet?" said Pooh.

"Yes Pooh?" said Piglet.

"Do you ever have days when everything feels... Not Very Okay At All? And sometimes you don't even know why you feel Not Very Okay At All, you just know that you do."

Piglet nodded his head sagely. "Oh yes," said Piglet. "I definitely have those days."

"Really?" said Pooh in surprise. "I would never have thought that. You always seem so happy and like you have got everything in life all sorted out."

"Ah," said Piglet. "Well here's the thing. There are two things that you need to know, Pooh. The first thing is that even those pigs, and bears, and people, who seem to have got everything in life all sorted out... they probably haven't. Actually, everyone has days when they feel Not Very Okay At All. Some people are just better at hiding it than others.

"And the second thing you need to know... is that it's okay to feel Not Very Okay At All. It can be quite normal, in fact. And all you need to do, on those days when you feel Not Very Okay At All, is come and find me, and tell me. Don't ever feel like you have to hide the fact you're feeling Not Very Okay At All. Always come and tell me. Because I will always be there."

Hopefully everyone has a Pooh to talk to, whether it is this forum, their cat, a real life friend. someone who will listen and tell you its ok to not feel ok today, but tomorrow is another day.

...evenin’ all... just an update on little ol’ me... I’m in Belmont Hospital on the Central Coast now and am hoping to be released from Hospital sometime either this week or next week God willing... I’ve been in Penrith Nepean and Belmont Hospitals for just on 5 months now and I’m totally over it now believe me...

...we are in the process of selling our home of 40 something years and will be staying at our daughters and husbands house at Caves Beach in the transition of selling and buying our new home somewhere in Swansea hopefully... or thereabouts... luckily... time is on our side so we have everything going in our favour thank God...

...I seem to have come to a stop or have even gone a little backwards in my recovery at the moment because I was getting about 2 hours a day training at Penrith Nepean Hospital but am only getting about 20 minutes training a day at Belmont Hospital because they are not so strict in the gym here... hence my enthusiasm to leave here soon... I intend to get into more recovery training of my own out of here by joining a gym of my own... they say here that I’ve ‘plateaued out’ and will not walk again or drive my car again... they don’t know me at all... do they?... they have given up on me... I haven’t... never say die I say...

...anyway... as I said... as soon as we sell our house and buy a new one we are going to be living our new life... until then... we’ll live every day to it’s fullest as it’s dealt to us... ( I hate transition periods )... anyway... that’s about it for now... until next time my friends... cheers.

Back