Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Well if you're a big fan of clunky expository dialogue, flat characterization, and boring plots then you'll love every episode in this series.
Oh dear. Well I’ll give it a try. I have to say David Tennant is still my favorite though I also thought Peter Capaldi was brilliant.

Reactions: kxk
Hi Rose,
The whole series isn't bad but if you only have time for the best, I would recommend :
The Woman Who Fell To Earth (to get to know the new characters)
Rosa (about Rosa Parks)
Arachnids In The UK (unless you have a fear of spiders)
Kerblam! (a fun episode)
The Witchfinders
It Takes You Away
Thank you! I can get episodes on Amazon to watch.

Hopefully she gets better writing so that she can showcase her talents more clearly instead of being lumbered with Chibnall and his one man crusade to destroy the spirit of Doctor Who.

Hopefully she gets better writing so that she can showcase her talents more clearly instead of being lumbered with Chibnall and his one man crusade to destroy the spirit of Doctor Who.

While I'm not hating this season, I've never liked him much and would prefer he left and handed it over to someone less egotistical and with less of an agenda. Jodie is fine, the companions are fine. What they need is returning writers with previous DW experience, not all these first-time political or soapie writers. Plus, stop trying to invent cute or poorly thought-out monsters and give us something we can enjoy.

So early 2020 return would mean no Xmas or New Years special.

It’s funny there hasn’t been any sort of justification for the move, they really seem to take the fans for granted.

So overall this series has been disappointing and feels a bit of a come down after last year. As someone said on Whovians about one recent episode, it didn’t feel like the stakes were very high, and that’s how I’ve felt about the whole series. Even when they were in terms of the story, it still didn’t feel that way to me. Maybe I just miss that Capaldi gravitas. I think last year I watched every episode twice, the only one I’ve watched twice this year is the opener. Jodie has been good throughout and slipped into the character pretty quickly thankfully (better than the early Capaldi eps in that respect). The three companions haven’t been as good as one Bill I have to say. Yaz particularly doesn’t add much, Graham and Ryan would be better just as a double act in that department.

My best to worst:

It Takes You Away
Rosa
The Witchfinders
Demons of the Punjab
The Woman Who Fell to Earth
The Ghost Monument
The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
Kerblam!
Arachnids in the UK
The Tsuranga Conundrum

...hey fellow Whovians... as I said in the 'Dear Channel 9' thread... I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!... I've not had much Internet access for the last few weeks but did manage to watch the last 3 episodes of our much beloved Doctor Who show regardless (I had to politely ask some friends and relatives if I could hijack their TV's to do so at the time lol!)... I loved the episodes and will re-watch them so as to fully enjoy them of course... lol! (don't panic... I will not do a review on them I promise lol!)... so yes!... it's great to be back and am looking forward to seeing the New Years Eve episode to top this year off... (I actually am glad that they didn't do the Christmas episode... there are only so many 'Christmassy' stories that can be told isn't there?)... so here's to the New Year Eve's episode!... woohoo!... it's great to be back folks!... cheers.

I've watched the promo for Dr Who and Bradley Walsh (The Chase) is on it. He asks what a character's name is. I am hoping that in rehearsals a cast member says Fanny Chmelar. Cracked me up when I thought of it.

New Year's Day Ep watched and I'm beginning to twig to the obvious and very sad fact that Doctor Who is gradually reverting to a Kiddies Show again (Not that there is anything wrong with that) *sigh*

New Year's Day Ep watched and I'm beginning to twig to the obvious and very sad fact that Doctor Who is gradually reverting to a Kiddies Show again (Not that there is anything wrong with that) *sigh*

Yes, it’s definitely swinging that way. I read somewhere that there was concern it had got too dark/adult and too convoluted and wasn’t pulling in the next gen of young viewers. Hence no season arc, new vilians with no backstories and a more kid friendly cast.

I thought it was pretty good (as in better than at least 50% of the last season).
But when it's cringey, it's REALLY cringey.

Things wrong with this episode :
Too many moral lessons, too much "fam" and "gang".
The stuff with Ryan's dad didn't work (and we have Graham to prove why he doesn't need another parental character anyway).
Did anyone anywhere in the history of anything ever want to see a Dalek/human hybrid again?
Showing a Dalek made out of odds & ends might be an idea on paper, but in action it just looks like a half-arsed cheap and terrible re-design.
Worst of all, THAT ENDING. The twee voiceover about the power of friendship on New Year's Day. I swear I almost vommed up my leftover pudding. Someone else was in the room behind me preparing food, and I was embarrassed for both of us.

Oh dear. DW world is in trouble.......we need either RTD back for a bit to lift it, or Peter Jackson or/and some cinema fans to help it

I am addicted and obsessed with DW, and all I have watched - 2 first episodes and this, with holiday plans to catch up, but.....I am utterly underwhelmed and find other more compelling catch ups taking my time........so many great docos on SBS/ABC (and I don't have time to waste with a new job)

Jeepers, it looks like a lot of sentimental clap trap has occured over the series, the father/son stuff.......sounds like that boring boy lost his entire family
So is Chibnall guilty of turning our beloved DW into a soap????
WTF it is so CROWDED with so many travellers in the TARDIS......and hardly a special treat if the Doctor just lets a bus load of tourists hitch a ride

Back