Skip to main content

Doctor Who

And I’ve gotta sit through some kids show Bluey for the first 8 minutes #cries

...yes I know inumeenu... that kids show made me go mental... this wonderous show of ours should be aired on a Sunday night where it deserves to be as far as I'm concerned... cheers.

I've recorded this for later tonight. Does anyone think this is not a very good timeslot? I'm not ready for my favourite show this early, things are too hectic with people winding down from work and preparing dinner. Plus the kids shows that surround it are proper mental.

I've recorded this for later tonight. Does anyone think this is not a very good timeslot? I'm not ready for my favourite show this early, things are too hectic with people winding down from work and preparing dinner. Plus the kids shows that surround it are proper mental.

...this timeslot is just... wrong... for a show as great as this... just sliding it to a 7:30 start would do it more justice if nothing else... as you say Meglos people are still trying to settle down for a good night of viewing of their favourite shows... I just cannot understand the ABC's mindset here... it makes me question as to whether they are losing faith in the show as a great ratings grabber nowadays?... I sure hope not anyway...

We’d be waiting a full week in that case due to the UK’s air time!

I wonder how far back Ryan sent Krasko??

...oh of course... I didn't realise that inumeenu... so have the BBC in the UK changed their airing night of the show or has it always been on a Monday?... I can't remember lol!... but that being said regardless... our viewing of the show would be more appropriate in a 7:30 timeslot for me personally... I don't mind waiting an hour extra in order to watch it in a less 'hectic time for me anyway... and... I think that Krasco could have a chance of being a recurring 'villain' within future shows somehow... he had a certain 'menace' to his character even though we didn't get to see that much of it this time around... that's why I think that he may return just so that we can see his character develop more... well I hope so anyway... cheers.

Wow. Who would have thought an episode almost entirely devoid of aliens and sci fi trappings could be so magnificent?
Everyone shone. Jodie is a revelation, and Ryan, Jasmine and Graham were all firing on all cylinders. I cried.
Krasko had a vortex manipulator like Captain Jack Harkness and had been imprisoned in a Stormcage facility like River Song! AMAZING.

...'Rosa'... oh my god... what an episode... even from the first opening minute the mood was set for the rest of this brilliant episode... the intensity of Racism was established from the outset... the surroundings that The Tardis landed in seemed so totally authentic for the location and era of the episode... Jodie's references of Elvis and having lent him a mobile phone were quite funny... it lightened the mood after that opening minute as it needed too... I'm liking the new console and it's graphics by the way... they look great...

...there were two people that stood out in this show with their very brief performances besides the main stars that played their parts perfectly... both were on only for a few seconds but they were brilliant in their short cameos and that's these two guys... Richard Lothian as 'Mr Steele' and Gareth Marks as 'Police Officer Mason'... the intensity and menace of their performances for those brief moments was such superb acting for me... they only had a few seconds but made the best of their screen times that's for sure... excellent stuff indeed...
Untitled-1.jpg

...also... Vinette Robinson did a brilliant performance as 'Rosa' and it's amazing that having been born in Leeds in Yorkshire, England... that she was able to carry off Rosa's American accent as well as she did... kudo's to her for being able to do that so well... in fact... kudo's to all that I've mentioned above for their American accents...

...I love it when Doctor Who does episodes that mingles historic events into their stories... it reminds me of Hartnell's time as The Doctor when the show first started... actually now that I think of it the early episodes had heaps of Historical events in them from memory lol!... I had to laugh at Ryan when Yas said to Ryan "do you know who Rosa Parks was?" and he responds with "yeah... she was the first black woman to drive a Bus!" ... lol!... and then straight afterwards the waitress says to Ryan "we don't serve Negroes!" and he responds with "good... because I don't eat them!"... bwahahaha!... in ya face waitress!... lol!...

...Josh Bowman as 'Krasko' seemed a tad bit 'wooden' to me but I think that if he returns as Krasko within future episodes (which I believe that he will for sure) then perhaps we'll see him 'loosen up' and that he will become way more interesting methinks!... and... when The Doctor and the others fled from Krasko why didn't they just scatter when they got outside of the building instead of bunching up behind those tanks?... lol!...

...oh and while I'm thinking about Yas and The Tardis... is she the first actual Policeman or Policewoman that has ever actually been inside The Tardis which is disguised as a 'Police Box'?... technically speaking she is the rightful 'owner' of the 'Police Box' not The Doctor lol!... (I'll stop being silly now)...

...oh dear... when Yas asked Ryan if he 'accidentally' gave her a compliment... is this the start of a 'romance' between them that mostly everyone expects to happen?... I really liked the idea of this story and cannot really fault it at all as opposed to the first two episodes of the season to be honest... haha!... Jodie teasing Graham about possibly being 'Banksy' was hilarious lol!... cue Police Officer Mason... a brilliant few moments from Gareth Marks as I said... I was really unsettled by the way he menaced The Doctor and Graham... well done him... when he was leaving and Graham put his arm around The Doctor to show to him that they were 'a couple' the expression on Jodie's face was pure Gold lol!...

2kqm5r.gif
2kqme0.gif

...although the humour soon dropped with the conversation between Yas and Ryan behind the bins... that was a pretty gut wrenching conversation about what has happened to them in the past and actually fit in so well with the story itself methinks!... I think that Ryan really stepped up this week in going out on his own to follow Rosa etc... Yas developed more as did Graham too this week... I'm liking watching them all beginning to develop their characters more and more... just one thing... will Graham be going to every Bus terminal on every Planet in the Universe?... lol!...

...so Ryan is classed as a 'Negro' and Yas was classified as a 'Mexican'? was it?... how odd... moving on... back to Krasko... being that The Master and Missy apparently killed each other off at the end of Capaldi's season... is Krasko going to be a sort of replacement villain that will keep popping back into the show occasionally I wonder?... I really do like the idea of the chip in his head not allowing him to directly harm or kill anyone... hence the reason that I think that he'll be back... he cannot kill The Doctor or any of her COMPANIONS... there!... I said it!... yes... they are still 'companions' as far as I'm concerned lol!...

...Trevor White as 'James Blake' the infamous Bus driver didn't really do anything for me I'm afraid... his best scene as far as I'm concerned is when he was being hassled by Graham and Ryan down at the creek... other than that I didn't like his performance much at all to be honest... when Graham and Ryan played through that Fishing scene at the creek it cracked me up big time... Graham was in his element lol!...

...it must have been a thrill for Ryan to meet Martin Luther King I imagine?... I'm glad that when Ryan was tinkering with that Time thiggamajiggy that he never accidentally had it pointing towards himself once he had fixed it lol!... when Ryan sent Krasko back in time and then stood in the middle of the road and talked out loud to himself about the various stages of the plan I had to laugh because I sometimes do the same thing at times lol!...

...I know that the scene where Rosa refuses to stand in order to get arrested is Rosa's pivotal scene of the whole episode but I was more transfixed on The Doctor's reaction of not stepping in as has mostly been done before in the past... the look on Jodie's face throughout that scene was perfection at it's best for me... how good was she?...

2kqokw.gif
2kqp67.gif

...and also... when Graham realised that it was HIM that was the white person that she refused to give her seat up for was so well played by Bradley too... he brought a lump to my throat earlier in the episode when he suddenly went all sad when he remembered Grace... Bradley shone in this episode too...

...I so loved this episode... I only found one tiny little fault in it but it's only something that didn't look right to me in regards to the Historical background in one of the scenes but I won't bother mentioning it because this was an almost flawless episode for me this week... aw man didn't Malorie Blackman and Chris Chibnall nail it so well this week?... kudos to the both of them... if the rest of the season is up to the high standards of this episode then we're in for a wild ride methinks!... now to watch 'Whovian's'... cheers.

I really do like the idea of the chip in his head not allowing him to directly harm or kill anyone... hence the reason that I think that he'll be back... he cannot kill The Doctor or any of her COMPANIONS... there!... I said it!... yes... they are still 'companions' as far as I'm concerned lol!...

It reminded me of the limiter that Gan had in his head in Blake's 7. Great homage to that, I think.

It reminded me of the limiter that Gan had in his head in Blake's 7. Great homage to that, I think.

...aaaaaaaaaaah!... YES!... thanks for saying that Meglos because I was trying to think of where I've seen that idea somewhere before my friend lol!... in fact... it was doing my head in not remembering from where I've seen it before lol!... now my brain can have a rest lol!... thanks for that Meglos... cheers.

That Rosa parks episode was the worst hour of doctor who I have ever seen. Clunky dialogue, ham fisted exposition, and a quite frankly undeserved preachiness.

The only good thing was the doctor herself. The rest of it was just an after school special meets Wikipedia.

It said nothing new or insightful on the topic of racism. In fact it really didn't say anything insightful at all. Just a whole load of cobblers.

That Rosa parks episode was the worst hour of doctor who I have ever seen. Clunky dialogue, ham fisted exposition, and a quite frankly undeserved preachiness.

The only good thing was the doctor herself. The rest of it was just an after school special meets Wikipedia.

It said nothing new or insightful on the topic of racism. In fact it really didn't say anything insightful at all. Just a whole load of cobblers.

100% disagree, but to each their own.

Tonight’s was wonderful. I totally geeked out when we saw a new interpretation of the TARDIS flying through the time vortex.

Jodie is so wonderful as the doctor. I’m loving the humour too.

Capaldi’s error really lacked humour.

Tonight’s was wonderful. I totally geeked out when we saw a new interpretation of the TARDIS flying through the time vortex.

Capaldi’s error really lacked humour.

Well to be fair it can be hard to laugh at your own mistakes.

I loved last week's, and I think I enjoyed tonight's even more.
It's no mean feat to achieve brilliantly convincing creature effects, tension and humour without sacrificing character development, which was spot-in for all four regulars tonight.

This week was better because it got down to what makes doctor who works: scary monsters. Not preachy hand holding mixed with a smattering of condescension.

So, a solid episode despite the still below average writing. But I think I've been spoiled by Moffat.

I think what makes Doctor Who work is that there isn't one set formula that it has to stick to. It can literally tell any story, and I appreciate it when it does (mostly, give or take large naked men who absorb faces or obnoxious children possessed by fairies).

I just watched the Rosa episode again.
Such an important thing to teach people about - I must say I had no idea about her before this episode. Call me ignorant, but I don’t recall my school teaching me much about history on a broader scale like this.
Beautiful episode!

...'Arachnids in the UK'... haha!... what a great title for the episode... it's title reminds me of the early series in the 60' and 70's... so 'Mr Big' is in the episode this week as a main player eh?... I've never watched that 'Sex and the City' show so I have no idea as to how good or bad an actor that he actually is so here goes I guess?... he says to 'Frankie' his bullied assistant "we're family right?... you're my... what are you again?............"... and she replies "I'm your Niece's wife!" and he says "exactly!"... (this guy needs a good kicking already methinks!)... lol!...

...ha!... 10 seconds into the episode and he's already an arsehole with sacking someone called 'Najia'? straight away lol!... aw man!... I've been a tad bit disappointed that we haven't seen much of a Time Vortex within the rather short opening credits before now but what about that sequence of multiple Time Vortex's just then?... woohoo!... what a brilliant rendering of them... I love it!... well done Chib's!...

2ldcxq.gif
multiverse time vortex.jpg

...I remember that when I created this GIF below that I thought along similar lines of how The Tardis would be going through Multiverse Time Vortex's but never had the program to create such special effects so I settled for this instead... lol!... this is why I'm loving Chib's version of it so much... I actually created that GIF to use as my Avatar on here but the file was too large to work on this website so tough luck for me I guess?... lol!...

tardis-in-the-twisting-vortex-1.gif

...bwahahaha!... that was hilarious when The Doctor jumped at Yasmin's offer at having Tea at her place lol!... their reactions to have only been away for half an hour since they first left in the first episode was realistic to me... that's probably how I would have reacted I imagine?... when Graham decided to go home before accepting Yas' invitation and then when Ryan walked up to him to see if he was alright was good to see..

...I love Yas' family!... especially her dad!... what a character... him and Graham should get on alright because they both say it as it is lol!... her dad sort of reminds me of Wilfred a little for some reason or another... bwahaha!... what a great scene with Yas' sister hitting on Ryan... funny as lol!... so Najia is Yas' mum eh?... great interlocking of characters in the plotline methinks!...

...I really felt for Graham when he went home and imagined seeing Grace talking to him... that would be part of a natural grieving period for some people I imagine?... (I think that there will be an eventual story arc with Grace coming back to Graham permanently somehow within the future whether it's sooner or a lot later but it will happen I bet)... those Spiders are such great special effects for the show aren't they?... kudo's to the animators for that... great quality work indeed... so Spiders hate the smell of Garlic eh?... I'll have to remember that methinks!... wow!... that was one mean Spiderweb cocoon wasn't it?...

...I'm so gravitating towards Graham being my favourite companion so far with Jodie's Doctor... I like him more now that he's stopped saying that creepy 'call me Grandad' stuff from before... Yas' mum is quite hot isn't she?... there are an estimated 21 QUADRILLION Spiders on this Planet she said?... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!... haha!... The Doctor name drops Emelia Earhart's name lol!...

EDIT:... when I watched 'Whovians' straight after writing this they pointed out Ryan's shadow puppet escapade that was going on in the background... as they said... was it intentional or was he just messing around without realising that it was an actual take?... lol!... yes... I missed it the first time around I have to admit lol!...

2ldes9.gif

...'Mr Big' has a scheduled 'bathroom break'?... talk about being anal or what?... **ta-boom tish!**... I like the way that he every so subtly allowed his bodyguard Kevin to become Spider food in his place in the bathroom... I sure hope that he dies in this now... what a lowlife!... um... Doctor... that's a tad bit silly putting your head down into the Spider pit like that don't you think?... lol!... I find it to be a tad bit funny that when they run away from a ginormous Spider that just broke through the floor and smashed up a bath that they think that just closing a door behind them will stop it chasing them lol!... the 'Ed Sheerhan' references were quite funny too... that girl from the Lab reminds of 'Oswin' from earlier shows for some reason too... all that is missing is the long scarf and an inhaler in her hand lol!...

...'Najia' asking Yas whether she and The Doctor are 'seeing each other'?... bwahaha!... Yas' look on her face was pure Gold lol!... why was it important that 'Mr Big' was possibly running for the Presidency in the storyline?... it sounds to me that at this point that it may be a future story arc for him to return in later episodes perhaps?... we'll see I guess?... with them all stumbling onto the batch of cocoons it sort of reminded me of the movie 'Alien' in many ways...

..."Najia's line of "do you know just how annoying for me it is when my husband is right"?... made me laugh out loud... funny as!... (and true for many women I guess?)... lol!... fuggin' hell 'Mr Big' is really giving me the irrits now... he better die in this or................... grrrrr!... Ryan talking about his dad because of that letter has made him even closer to Graham now so the story arc between them is working out fine now which is good to see...

...do all Americans have 'Panic Rooms' in their homes?... lol!... oh dear... what's the bet that 'Mr Big' shoots the Spiders despite of The Doctor's objections for him doing so eh?... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!... the Spiders are going to the Panic Room and 'Mr Big' is starting to overact his character to me now... ham it up mate... ham it up old son... so for what reason did he have to shoot the Spider regardless of the fact that it was dying anyway?... a tad bit silly methinks!... yet another appearance of Grace... (she will come back into the show for sure methinks!)... bugger!... 'Mr Big' lives to see another day... what a bummer!...he'll be back for future shows that's for sure eh?...

...with the way that Yas looked at her family before she popped down to the shops for bread I just KNEW that she was going back to The Doctor and to travel around in The Tardis lol!... Ryan and Graham too... erm... 'Team Tardis'?... really?... I sure hope that that name doesn't stick... it sounds too 'American' to me lol!... Rove really needs to not be so annoying during the closing credits... otherwise he may lose fans methinks!...

...well... my overall impression of this episode is that it's a good old Whovian romp episode which is a lot more fun that last weeks heavy Historical drama (which I did really enjoy by the way) so yes... I really enjoyed it this week... I love Jodie (which I obviously didn't think last year when it was announced that The Doctor would be a female... I'm still eating humble pie with that one lol!)... I'm loving the companions but as I said... Graham is my favourite up until now... great show this week... cheers.

Back