Skip to main content

Gogglebox Australia

bahaha.. My Dad and his wife have been together for nearly 40 years. It's kinda weird that he's been with his wife way longer than he was with my mother (24 years). But his wife's still part of my family now ofc.

...that sounds great my friend... love is a many splendoured thing... (where have I heard that before? :whistling:)... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
My parents have been together 50 years.

...oh wow!... go them!... when anyone asks my mate how long that he and his wife have been together he says stuff like "26 years... 3 months... 10 days... 16 hours... 32 minutes and 12 seconds... we are happily married... she's happy... I'm married!"... and yes... he does remind me of Keith on Gogglebox lol!... cheers.

Re : Back To The Future. Lee would go back to 1984. Me too Lee, me too.

Keith:... "if you could go back in Time what year would you pick?"...
Lee:... "1984"...
Keith:... "that's the year before we got married!"...
Lee:... **stays silent**...

...I think that's how it went... bwahaha!... as funny as!... cheers.

EVERYONE IS A CRITIC REVIEW.......

If there’s a show on TV more diverse than Everyone’s a Critic I’m struggling to think of it.

Clearly inspired by Gogglebox the 9 part series brings ‘ordinary’ Aussies before paintings, sculptures and photographs to provoke a reaction. Expect that to range from deep emotional responses to cynicism and more.

Across a 30 minute episode, duos (and one trio) surmise the same artworks but their reactions are varied. In the opening episode they attend the NGV Ian Potter Centre in Melbourne which exhibits all-Australian work.

The first subject is of pink planets (2014) by artist Del Kathryn Barton. It’s a striking homage to motherhood, rich in colours and which nods to goddesses.

Where Nigerian sisters Ebube and Amaka describe it as “provocative”, gay Indigenous friends Levi, Garret and J-Maine see a “Galactic Queen.” But for Gerard, who has Down Syndrome, the work has “too much colour.”

And for Juliette and Rick, who have been married for 43 years, it triggers a memory about their early marriage. Muslim mother & daughter Majidah and Malika can’t help but notice “so many breasts.”

Accompanying each critique, narrator Kat Stewart provides a snapshot profile of the artist and their style. In these moments we move from observational to documentary, but it isn’t jarring nor long before we are back in the gallery for another subject.

Next up is the very spartan Cahill Expressway, a 1962 work by Jeffrey Smart. Tracey and Kelly have been friends for 45 years but it this is Kelly’s first-ever visit to a gallery (seriously). The solitude in Smart’s painting strikes a note with her about the loneliness she experienced when she was 145 kilos. Levi, Garret and J-Maine also reflect on their own isolation growing up gay in rural Australia.

Others to appear in the first episode include young blokes Harry and Maurice, who struggled with many of the works and Sicilian grandmother Maria and her teen granddaughter Monique. Two more pairs will be introduced in the next episode.

They will encounter surrealist sculpture (“I don’t see art here”), a photo tableau on Indigenous slavery (“I’m emotional”) and a painting on white settlement (“We came here because my parents wanted a better life for us kids”).

As the critics respond to the art they often link it back to moments in their own life, which is crucial for us to connect as characters. It isn’t always clear how much context they are given about the artworks -are they reading gallery signage, or are they supplied more descriptors? The music soundtrack also heavily influences the way the viewer is introduced to the work whether light or emotive.

Gogglebox works brilliantly because the TV footage is a shared experience and throwing barbs from the couch is a bit of an Australian sport.

But as Common Sense proves (news reviews in case you had already forgotten) it can’t always be applied to another subject. Everyone’s a Critic is necessarily more worthy, so even the most cynical of observers is fairly polite by comparison. That means the punchlines can’t match those of Gogglebox, but the ambition is also different, to make art more accessible to middle Australia.

If it can go part of the way to achieving that, it shouldn’t take 45 years for other people to step inside a gallery.

Everyone’s A Critic premieres 8:50pm Thursday June 28 on ABC.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/06/everyones-a-critic.htm

Sad news 2016 Dr Stuart Kidd - was on Gogglebox 2016

He took his own life

r0_0_5089_3393_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Seems Charlie Pickering show did a fine Gogglebox sketch last night......

The Weekly with Charlie Pickering: Fiona O’Loughlin hilariously burns Eddie McGuire
THE popular comedian took aim at Eddie McGuire in a comedy sketch last night — and it was priceless.

FIONA O’Loughlin hilariously burned Eddie McGuire on TV last night.

The I’m A Celeb winner was one of several comedians who took part in a Gogglebox-esque sketch on The Weekly With Charlie Pickering.

One of the shows the comedians had to watch and critique was Channel 9’s Millionaire Hot Seat.

After watching some of the show, O’Loughlin turned to her friend and said, “You know that thing where they say if you could invite one person over to your place for lunch, who would it be?

“I would invite Eddie McGuire and I’d leave a note on the door saying, ‘Something came up.’”

BOOM!

More here
https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...e/news-story/5a8ceb9a4aa2aeeb4f7800cb5bbc29ed

Charlie's show is quite good, with Kitty and Tom bits being highlights

..."darling I'm really upset about turning 50!"... says Tom to Wayne... "I received a bowel kit in the mail!"... bwahahaha!... what a great way to open the series lol!... oh by the way... evenin' all!... cheers.

Back