Skip to main content

Today I ........

Well I’m glad today is a very short work day for me today.

One of are major telco’s here is down and this company just happens to provide a lot of infrastructure my employer uses.

I work in a call centre so an hour and fifteen minutes in to my work day and I’ve done absolutely nothing hut chat with my coworkers via Teams and dick around on my personal phone. I can’t complain but I know it’s going to get insane once the outage is resolved.

Well half hour left and it doesn’t look like it will be resolved before the end of my day. One thing I hate about my employer is that we can never just do nothing… I’ve received about 4 or 5 messages in the last few hours about busy work they want us to be doing.

Luckily I work from home and probably will be for as long as I’m still in my current position so I can get away with just being logged-in and making a half-assed attempt at the busy work.

This sounds like my husband. He just stays “logged in” most of the day while keeping his head down to avoid more work. He has projects he manages but there’s no urgencies, answers a few emails a day but really he isn’t in need to do much. If he does he just waits for the night to watch shows and does some- again not that involved where he tunes out of watching. He knows that his time at home is slowly going to end though. So he is preparing for the day, but will argue to still have atleast a few days to work from home. I’m hoping so, it’s nice having him around more now that I’m home as well

This sounds like my husband. He just stays “logged in” most of the day while keeping his head down to avoid more work. He has projects he manages but there’s no urgencies, answers a few emails a day but really he isn’t in need to do much. If he does he just waits for the night to watch shows and does some- again not that involved where he tunes out of watching. He knows that his time at home is slowly going to end though. So he is preparing for the day, but will argue to still have atleast a few days to work from home. I’m hoping so, it’s nice having him around more now that I’m home as well
I wish. Working in a call centre everything we do during the day is tracked and has to be accounted for. One of our metrics is adherence to our schedule which is 90%. So too much time in the wrong state can blow your stats out of that threshold.

I wish. Working in a call centre everything we do during the day is tracked and has to be accounted for. One of our metrics is adherence to our schedule which is 90%. So too much time in the wrong state can blow your stats out of that threshold.
Have you ever thought about moving out of the call centre sector? The hubby was in the call centre sector for 12 years, moved up the ranks into micro managing roles and then finally moved onto IT positions outside of the call centre- I think carriage roles. Eventually settled into project managing (he did need to study further but all paid for through work and they were super short courses, two days here and there, though lots of prep work for those two days were done) and then onto project managing his own things in banks. He gets a lot more freedom now. Though he is city based but thankfully covid changed the way people worked.

O think he went from iinet, datacom, dimension data… there’s more but honestly couldn’t remember most of them. He never stayed in the same role or place for more than 3/4 years. His current role in the bank is the longest he has been

Have you ever thought about moving out of the call centre sector? The hubby was in the call centre sector for 12 years, moved up the ranks into micro managing roles and then finally moved onto IT positions outside of the call centre- I think carriage roles. Eventually settled into project managing (he did need to study further but all paid for through work and they were super short courses, two days here and there, though lots of prep work for those two days were done) and then onto project managing his own things in banks. He gets a lot more freedom now. Though he is city based but thankfully covid changed the way people worked.

O think he went from iinet, datacom, dimension data… there’s more but honestly couldn’t remember most of them. He never stayed in the same role or place for more than 3/4 years. His current role in the bank is the longest he has been
I don’t necessarily think I’ll make it out of the call centre completely but getting off the phones is my goal. I completed my second round of training at the beginning of the year and I just have one more before the door is open to a few more opportunities.

I don’t necessarily think I’ll make it out of the call centre completely but getting off the phones is my goal. I completed my second round of training at the beginning of the year and I just have one more before the door is open to a few more opportunities.
Good luck and hopefully you fulfil those goals :)

I've become somewhat diverse in my older years... For some reason I just can't stand to do a full days work anymore & thus everyday I finish all my jobs & tasks at 2pm then go inside and watch whatever, have a drink, relax...

It's got so bad that I can't stand doing long jobs either - so atm I have been painting the roof, but because there is no way I could stand up there and do it all in one go - I do about 1/6th each day.. and I've been doing that with all my tasks - I do only a fraction of them each day until about a week later those jobs are done :cool: AND thus, today the roof is finally finished :biggrin: the knew steps for the veranda are still progressing as is the renovation of the dining room ;)

I can’t wait until I have the option of finishing work on my terms. I’m already under pressure to go back into work although I have new offers on the table atm and most likely will be taking those opportunities. Though it shouldn’t be a secret because I did make it known after my mat pay I wasn’t sure I’d return anyways because I was seeking less days to work and my current place of employment would not offer that.

I was going to say that’s it’s my birthday today but I guess technically my birthday was yesterday for those of you who live in the future.

View attachment 59166
Happy birthday. based on the irrelevant bullshit that graced the news yesterday I don't think much happened on your birthday here. Hope you have a great day.

I‘m also a bit late so I‘m probably not in the future but Happy Birthday belated or current (or future).

Back