Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Hey @bleachy_dude hope it's mild and you recover quickly.

BA.5 is very contagious! If people don't like to wear a mask, at least do it in the highest risk places like buses/trains/planes, and anywhere there are lots of people like cinemas, malls, supermarkets etc.

Get well soon Bleachy.
I hope that BB finale was worth it :angelic:
I don't want to minimise the seriousness of covid, I have had my three shots...

but it was TOTALLY worth it. Literally, the first thing I thought when the positive line came up was that I was glad that it was post BB. I was also glad I don't have any concerts or shows coming up haha

Hey @bleachy_dude hope it's mild and you recover quickly.

BA.5 is very contagious! If people don't like to wear a mask, at least do it in the highest risk places like buses/trains/planes, and anywhere there are lots of people like cinemas, malls, supermarkets etc.
I didn't wear a mask at BB ... no one did 😬

I didn't wear a mask at BB ... no one did 😬
Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you in particular. I'd noticed Tom Gleeson doing Hard Quiz Live at the Enmore the other day and most of the audience was unmasked. And considering the huge number of cases and deaths lately I was very surprised.

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you in particular. I'd noticed Tom Gleeson doing Hard Quiz Live at the Enmore the other day and most of the audience was unmasked. And considering the huge number of cases and deaths lately I was very surprised.
Nah all g. I guess I probably should have.
I haven’t been wearing a mask outside of work for some time now and I go to lots of gigs and shows etc.

Almost no one wears masks anymore. I did the week after COVID out of caution for other people.

I heard an account the other day of someone at the local shopping street being denied service in a shop for wearing a mask which is insane. Aren't anti-maskers all personal choice people?

Flying to QLD tomorrow. I'll be wearing a N95 on the plane at least. Airport may depend on crowds, even though I know I should.

I don't know what to think about my chances for reinfection. It was 3 months probably clear when I got it. Now they say it's possible 4 weeks later. Yet no idea what that means when it comes to variants. Is that if you had Omicron you can be infected with BA5? Is it you can be reinfected by BA5? It's another one of those areas where there's a vagueness to specifics with the messaging.

I better see some damn whales on this dive trip though!

Flying to QLD tomorrow. I'll be wearing a N95 on the plane at least.
Try and wait until last to board, to minimise your time in there, would be my suggestion. I believe you can be reinfected regardless of which variant you've had before, so don't take any chances.

Try and wait until last to board, to minimise your time in there, would be my suggestion. I believe you can be reinfected regardless of which variant you've had before, so don't take any chances.

Selecting my seat, the plane is packed. I've down the back, window seat.

I always have my strategies for flying, boarding and unboarding.

This will be, backpack under the seat, no overhead luggage. So it doesn't matter when I board. I'm going to be on a liveaboard dive boat, so that's possibly the biggest risk factor. Close quarters with people for a few days.

Selecting my seat, the plane is packed. I've down the back, window seat.

I always have my strategies for flying, boarding and unboarding.

This will be, backpack under the seat, no overhead luggage. So it doesn't matter when I board. I'm going to be on a liveaboard dive boat, so that's possibly the biggest risk factor. Close quarters with people for a few days.
Good for you. Take care and have a good time.

My experience seems to be pretty run of the mill. I'm sorry I haven't really followed this thread very closely so I feel like a bit of a fraud using it now to tell my story, but just in case anyone is interested in how it effects people. Being a disability support worker I had all three shots pretty early on. I had started to think I was never going to get it. I have been out in the public (with clients) all through lockdown and as soon as allowed back to concerts and shows. Only wearing masks at work and where necessary elsewhere. I.e following the rules, not the suggestions. Only wearing masks where compulsory.

So Friday I woke up feeling totally fine, no even hint of being unwell. I arrived at work at 8am (I'm very thankful that my client had cancelled support) so I had no clients and was attending to online training modules and assisting my coordinator with admin tasks. At 9am I realised that all of a sudden my throat started to feel a little scratchy and my nose blocked up followed almost immediately by a bit of a headache. I've had plenty of throat infections in the past so I'm always pretty wary of a sore throat, but this actually felt different in a way that's hard to describe in words. I just had a feeling it was not my normal cold/flu/throat infection. So I went and asked my boss for a RAT. I did it and the first line (test line) showed up very bright red immediately. I went home and spent the rest of day just feeling like I had a mild head cold. Did a few loads of washing, cleaned and vacuumed my room and cleaned any ensuite since I was going to be spending a lot of time here for the next week. Felt OK. I went to sleep feeling much the same, just a slight headache, bit of a scratchy throat and some congestion.

I woke up at 4am Saturday with full body chills, sweats and aches and a headache. This went on until around 9am. I was then super lethargic and fatigued throughout the day. I came good a bit in the afternoon. Saturday night sleeping was rough, kept waking up, no sweats but chills and aches stuff. Yesterday (Sunday) was similar to Saturday. In the morning I felt like I had been hit by a bus, it literally took me 3 hours to work up the energy and make myself breakfast which I ate at midday (Gotta say I'm pretty happy that this strain doesn't have the loss of taste 😝 ) In the afternoon I came good again and was more alert to watch TV and stuff.

Last night I couldn't get to sleep until midnight, probably due to the many naps throughout the last couple of days, but I slept solidly from midnight until 9am this morning. Woke up feeling much better. Back to mostly how I felt on Friday, just like I've got a mild head cold. Don't feel anywhere as fatigued this morning.

So hopefully that's the worst of it done, and truly, if that was the worst, it wasn't that bad.

I'll probably go back to only wearing the mask where mandatory tbh. I go back to work on Friday and I will be careful with mask wearing and hand hygiene there.

My experience seems to be pretty run of the mill. I'm sorry I haven't really followed this thread very closely so I feel like a bit of a fraud using it now to tell my story, but just in case anyone is interested in how it effects people. Being a disability support worker I had all three shots pretty early on. I had started to think I was never going to get it. I have been out in the public (with clients) all through lockdown and as soon as allowed back to concerts and shows. Only wearing masks at work and where necessary elsewhere. I.e following the rules, not the suggestions. Only wearing masks where compulsory.

So Friday I woke up feeling totally fine, no even hint of being unwell. I arrived at work at 8am (I'm very thankful that my client had cancelled support) so I had no clients and was attending to online training modules and assisting my coordinator with admin tasks. At 9am I realised that all of a sudden my throat started to feel a little scratchy and my nose blocked up followed almost immediately by a bit of a headache. I've had plenty of throat infections in the past so I'm always pretty wary of a sore throat, but this actually felt different in a way that's hard to describe in words. I just had a feeling it was not my normal cold/flu/throat infection. So I went and asked my boss for a RAT. I did it and the first line (test line) showed up very bright red immediately. I went home and spent the rest of day just feeling like I had a mild head cold. Did a few loads of washing, cleaned and vacuumed my room and cleaned any ensuite since I was going to be spending a lot of time here for the next week. Felt OK. I went to sleep feeling much the same, just a slight headache, bit of a scratchy throat and some congestion.

I woke up at 4am Saturday with full body chills, sweats and aches and a headache. This went on until around 9am. I was then super lethargic and fatigued throughout the day. I came good a bit in the afternoon. Saturday night sleeping was rough, kept waking up, no sweats but chills and aches stuff. Yesterday (Sunday) was similar to Saturday. In the morning I felt like I had been hit by a bus, it literally took me 3 hours to work up the energy and make myself breakfast which I ate at midday (Gotta say I'm pretty happy that this strain doesn't have the loss of taste 😝 ) In the afternoon I came good again and was more alert to watch TV and stuff.

Last night I couldn't get to sleep until midnight, probably due to the many naps throughout the last couple of days, but I slept solidly from midnight until 9am this morning. Woke up feeling much better. Back to mostly how I felt on Friday, just like I've got a mild head cold. Don't feel anywhere as fatigued this morning.

So hopefully that's the worst of it done, and truly, if that was the worst, it wasn't that bad.

I'll probably go back to only wearing the mask where mandatory tbh. I go back to work on Friday and I will be careful with mask wearing and hand hygiene there.
It makes you wonder how much worse it would be if unvaccinated 🤔

It makes you wonder how much worse it would be if unvaccinated 🤔
Yeah interesting. I’m not really up with the science. But aren’t they saying the vaccines don’t even work with the latest strains? I’ve had three shots of Pfizer.

I got a friend whose whole family is not vaccinated and it seemed like they had basically identical symptoms to me when they got covid. Felt ordinary for a couple of days otherwise just mild cold symptoms.

Yeah interesting. I’m not really up with the science. But aren’t they saying the vaccines don’t even work with the latest strains? I’ve had three shots of Pfizer.

I got a friend whose whole family is not vaccinated and it seemed like they had basically identical symptoms to me when they got covid. Felt ordinary for a couple of days otherwise just mild cold symptoms.
I was beginning to wonder. The only person we know who's not vaccinated had it pretty bad, but his wife who is vaccinated had it really bad too, so who knows.
We're getting our 4th jab this morning. Our first two were AZ, the booster Pfizer. No idea what we'll be jabbed with today.
Glad you're feeling better already.

I was hit with influenza a, confirmed from doing a swab. And it hit hard. Totally out of it for almost a week, bed ridden, constant headaches, body spasms from the shakes, struggle to walk because my head felt like it couldn’t sit up, dizziness, nausea that never leaves… I’ve never had a flu like that in my life. Or maybe because I never had the flu until now. I’ve had covid and it was few days of uncomfortable sleeping at most. But influenza a was something else. Took me right out.

I was hit with influenza a, confirmed from doing a swab. And it hit hard. Totally out of it for almost a week, bed ridden, constant headaches, body spasms from the shakes, struggle to walk because my head felt like it couldn’t sit up, dizziness, nausea that never leaves… I’ve never had a flu like that in my life. Or maybe because I never had the flu until now. I’ve had covid and it was few days of uncomfortable sleeping at most. But influenza a was something else. Took me right out.
Ohhh - hope you are ok now Sweetgeek

Back