Skip to main content

AFL 2020

But what about those Sea Eagles last night :mad: wtf happened there?
It always happens around Origin time.
All the State of Origin players go into camp, so they don’t play for their clubs for 3 weeks throughout the season. So clubs that have good players are essentially punished for three weeks a a year and the shit teams get a leg up. It’s fucked.

Our captain is also the Queensland captain, and we have another 2 players out for NSW (one of which is the best in the comp). Plus 5 injured. To come within 20 was a miracle lol.

So sorry Meglos but happy being a Bombers fan...I DO feel for you because we've all been there as supporters of clubs who have had dark days.

It always happens around Origin time.
All the State of Origin players go into camp, so they don’t play for their clubs for 3 weeks throughout the season. So clubs that have good players are essentially punished for three weeks a a year and the shit teams get a leg up. It’s fucked.

Our captain is also the Queensland captain, and we have another 2 players out for NSW (one of which is the best in the comp). Plus 5 injured. To come within 20 was a miracle lol.
Oh I see. That's one reason state of origin didn't work for the AFL in latter years. The clubs felt that origin wasn't worth it because 'bragging rights' didn't make up for weakening teams and possible injury to star players.

So sorry Meglos but happy being a Bombers fan...I DO feel for you because we've all been there as supporters of clubs who have had dark days.
Thanks.
The problem imo is with the coaching, and also that it's such a young team now that it will be a few years before they're good enough to compete again.

Oh I see. That's one reason state of origin didn't work for the AFL in latter years. The clubs felt that origin wasn't worth it because 'bragging rights' didn't make up for weakening teams and possible injury to star players.

Yep, it’s a massive problem! There’s talk of moving it to a stand alone three week period in the middle of the season with all the other rep games (city v country, indigenous v maori, etc) but nothing ever changes.

Unfortunate to be punished because we have good players haha 💁🏽‍♂

Was the AFL SOO NSW v Victoria?

Yep, it’s a massive problem! There’s talk of moving it to a stand alone three week period in the middle of the season with all the other rep games (city v country, indigenous v maori, etc) but nothing ever changes.

Unfortunate to be punished because we have good players haha 💁🏽‍♂

Was the AFL SOO NSW v Victoria?
Moving it to a dedicated period would be better but it still wouldn't help if a star player was seriously injured.

Haha no it was never NSW v Vic it was more Vic v SA or WA. In the early days (when everyone loved State of Origin because players actually represented their state of birth) it was always Vic v SA or WA and SA and WA always wanted to beat VIC because they were the benchmark for the other leagues. NSW didn't have a team in those early days but from memory, a composite team was made up from players who were originally from NSW, NT, Tas or ACT but those players played for VIC teams in home and away rounds. Then when the VFL became the AFL it all seemed rather pointless because every team had players from all over Australia and so it was hard to get behind your State...haha you were supposed to cheer for players that on a weekly basis you normally 'hated' meanwhile booing the ones that you 'loved'. And so it died...

That's the way I remember it but @Fuzz may have a better recollection than me.

Moving it to a dedicated period would be better but it still wouldn't help if a star player was seriously injured.

Haha no it was never NSW v Vic it was more Vic v SA or WA. In the early days (when everyone loved State of Origin because players actually represented their state of birth) it was always Vic v SA or WA and SA and WA always wanted to beat VIC because they were the benchmark for the other leagues. NSW didn't have a team in those early days but from memory, a composite team was made up from players who were originally from NSW, NT, Tas or ACT but those players played for VIC teams in home and away rounds. Then when the VFL became the AFL it all seemed rather pointless because every team had players from all over Australia and so it was hard to get behind your State...haha you were supposed to cheer for players that on a weekly basis you normally 'hated' meanwhile booing the ones that you 'loved'. And so it died...

Oh. That sounds terrible haha. Probably best it’s been put the rest 😝

Pretty much nailed it seph. The composite team was called "the allies" from memory. Twas a bit of a joke. Ended up being the football version of the french foreign legion.
With pretty much all states represented now state of origin is passe in its concept in afl. Understand its viability in rugby with only really two states in the comp and one team in vic. Im sure if the NRL was to expand, it would also lose its lustre and purpose.

All good chaps and seph. Still sit 2nd. Got suns and adelaide coming up. Naughton and dunks to return next week.
I still see hope on the horizon.

Happy Origin Day! I trust you’ll all be watching with excitement? :)

Origin? Yuck.

giphy.gif

Back