Skip to main content

Nine announce Big Brother option has ended

Brekkie

Staff member
... will not be on their network next year. They've confirmed their option on it expires this week and they have no wish to bring it back, clearing the way for Seven.

I think the best thing Nine ever did for Big Brother Australia was not actually air it for four years - can't believe they had such a long option on it. A year might be standard but 5 years is ridiculous for a show that was only on the network for 3 years.

For all we know tho, 7s attempt could be the absolute worse thing to ever happen to big brother and kill it entirely.

can't believe they had such a long option on it. A year might be standard but 5 years is ridiculous for a show that was only on the network for 3 years.

Doesn't make much sense does it? Maybe at some point they took an option to extend their option.

Doesn't make much sense does it? Maybe at some point they took an option to extend their option.
It may have been ongoing as the previous rights holder. If - at any stage - someone else wants to pick it up you still have first dibs. A bit like Sydney Airport: when Macquarie got the 99 year rights they also got first dibs on a Western Sydney airport if and when the government decided to build one. They also decided not to proceed, thankfully.

A year might be standard but 5 years is ridiculous for a show that was only on the network for 3 years.

I'm not so sure if Nine actually had an option to screen Big Brother for five years. I think they've regained the rights of first refusal when they bought the rights to the first season of Celebrity Big Brother US. It might have sweetened the deal for them like "if the US show works for you, you'll be the first to commission a new season of BB Australia".

9Go! just re-aired the first season of CBBUS over the last few weeks around midnight and it basically finished its run just before their option expired. So it's not like there isn't any connection at all. I

That also helps to explain your post in the other thread.

When Ten were rumoured to be looking at it again a couple of years ago I don't recall any mention of Nine still having an option on it.

Ten was looking at it for a run during the 2017/2018 summer season and that's before Celebrity Big Brother launched on CBS and thus before Nine was able to buy the rights to screen it in Australia and - presumably - getting rights of first refusal for another Australian season in that process.

For all we know tho, 7s attempt could be the absolute worse thing to ever happen to big brother and kill it entirely.

The last channel nearly killed it off I thought, they were way more budget and dumbed down. The presenter worse, no live feed, aimed more at children, tasks cheaper, task arena replaced by a room, without other shows. I thought some of that was similar to what Channel 5 did in the UK. For all the criticism there seems to have been at the end of the original run sometimes I suspect people don't know what they've lost until they see the replacement. It was the same with The Mole, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same with The Amazing Race.

Back