Skip to main content

If big brother was to return...

Weed out the people auditioning who just want to be famous and get instagram followers. Don't accept anyone who wants a media career and uses a recruiting agency.

Surely this wouldn't be too hard to do to wade out the famewhores. It would be pretty obvious who is there for the right reasons. Even just by looking at their social media accounts.

Pick genuine people. People who want to go on the show purely to have a go, the experience and people who are massive fans of the show that grew up with it.

What happened to picking people like Sarah-Marie and Reggie? Ordinary people. These people are out there and auditioning you just have to wade through the massive clog of wannabes.

They don't know Tully
Weed out the people auditioning who just want to be famous
Amen to both of these responses!

I'd also suggest they have a broader age range. Instead of a bunch of 21yos and a couple of over 40s chucked in - and I know it would be difficult for people in their 30s because they might have kids/family obligations - but I really would prefer it if there was an age spread of 20s and 30s and a few older. Besides, people over 30 are less likely to be famewhores. Also, a decent mix of different cultures and orientations. It shouldn't be that hard when they have something like (a ridiculous) 24 housemates across a season. Masterchef does a big mix, why do some other reality shows have such a big problem (ok, I'm looking at you Nine).

They don't know Tully.
Weed out the people auditioning who just want to be famous and get instagram followers. Don't accept anyone who wants a media career and uses a recruiting agency.

Surely this wouldn't be too hard to do to wade out the famewhores. It would be pretty obvious who is there for the right reasons. Even just by looking at their social media accounts.

Pick genuine people. People who want to go on the show purely to have a go, the experience and people who are massive fans of the show that grew up with it.

What happened to picking people like Sarah-Marie and Reggie? Ordinary people. These people are out there and auditioning you just have to wade through the massive clog of wannabes.
Amen to both of these responses!

I'd also suggest they have a broader age range. Instead of a bunch of 21yos and a couple of over 40s chucked in - and I know it would be difficult for people in their 30s because they might have kids/family obligations - but I really would prefer it if there was an age spread of 20s and 30s and a few older. Besides, people over 30 are less likely to be famewhores. Also, a decent mix of different cultures and orientations. It shouldn't be that hard when they have something like (a ridiculous) 24 housemates across a season. Masterchef does a big mix, why do some other reality shows have such a big problem (ok, I'm looking at you Nine).

Awesome responses. I’ve been a huge fan of Big Brother since it began in Australia. Was absolutely devastated when it was cancelled on C10, then when C9 took it over well let’s not talk about the disappointments that came from those attempts. I agree that when they select the housemates it needs to be people that are normal everyday people, not models, not there for fame, just there for the experience and the experience alone.

...first of all Laurie90... welcome to the Forums... as I always say to newcomers... it's always great to have new input and comments from new people within the forums so please don't be afraid to jump into all of the other threads to comment too... we all welcome every post...

...apart from the fact that Channels 9 and 7 should NEVER be allowed to do Big Brother I'm in agreements with what has been said above already... especially these parts...

"Weed out the people auditioning who just want to be famous and get instagram followers. Don't accept anyone who wants a media career and uses a recruiting agency"... said by GrantGotGold... and...

..."I'd also suggest they have a broader age range. Instead of a bunch of 21yos and a couple of over 40s chucked in"... plus... "Also, a decent mix of different cultures and orientations"... said by timmydownawell...

...but if it does come back the housemates should NEVER have ANY contact from the outside world with phone calls/letters/videos or even live intrusions from any of their families whatsoever... no World News of the outside world (other than that of a family member being ill or dying of course)... in the original series of Big Brother when it first started it was an experiment of complete nobodies being thrown together to see just how they interact and tolerate each other... there were no gimmicks... no twists... no talking Fish... no 'haves' and 'have nots'... nothing whatsoever and the show was totally brilliant at the time (as far as I was concerned anyway) Laurie90...

...but the fact that they were all complete nobodies with no Media accounts was the main fun part of the show when it first started for me... it made you feel that you could actually audition for it the next year without having to have an Agent and an Agency doing the groundwork for you... YOU had to actually appear for the audition and present yourself and sell yourself to them one on one without any pre-hype shit... yes... they were the proverbial 'good old days' that's for sure... well that's my two cents worth anyway... again... welcome to the forums Laurie90... enjoy posting everywhere my friend... cheers.

I doubt they'll ever not go casting for influencers and such. Hopefully less to a degree but everyone will have an agenda. A friend of mine in the music industry actually got hit up this year by a casting director to be in MTV's Are You the One. Lmaoo

The problem with trying to get people aged from 30 to 60 onto a show like Big Brother is that, between those ages, they are in the peak of their personal and professional lives with heavy demands of marriage, children, careers, mortgages, etc. Married couples will miss their partner while they are on the show. Children will miss their parent while they are on the show. Bosses will miss out on their employee while they are on the show. Banks will miss out on their repayments while they are on the show.

Also in terms of it being the show we loved I'm not sure I want it to be particularly older. It's tricky because obviously there is that ready made fanbase of older viewers who, despite not wanting to admit it, have more in common with 40-somethings than 20-somethings nowadays, but on the other hand if it does come back should it be a show for a new generation - though then again that is arguably what Channel 9 tried to do and completely failed.

Casting isn't just about age anyway - you can have a dull 20 year old and interesting 40 year old and vice versa. It's about getting the blend right, but it's whether you want that blend to be a group of people you believe to be mates or something that has more of a family dynamic.

Banks will miss out on their repayments while they are on the show.
The HMs did get paid a stipend to cover their outside costs while they were in the house. It was rumoured to be $500/week back in the day, and would presumably be a lot more these days. For the younger HMs that would have been good because obviously they didn't have to pay for food, booze, entertainment, electricity, etc during their time, so they probably had a useful bank balance when they left.

The HMs did get paid a stipend to cover their outside costs while they were in the house. It was rumoured to be $500/week back in the day, and would presumably be a lot more these days. For the younger HMs that would have been good because obviously they didn't have to pay for food, booze, entertainment, electricity, etc during their time, so they probably had a useful bank balance when they left.

That’s true, I believe there was an article written in 2014 about 2007 housemate Joel who said the weekly allowance was more than enough to free him from any debts he had as well as covering all his bills whilst he was in the house for 92 days.

Bringing up the recent revival of MTV's The Real World again but they've done a great job of finding interesting people with stories to tell, that have opposing views, who can fight and argue, but still appear to be enjoying each-others company.

As Brekkie said it's all about the mix... You can have a house full of young people and still get interesting story-lines out of them just as much as a house full of dullards. For me as well it's about maturity... Can these people have impending drama and move on from it? Are they mature enough to talk about situations beyond the superficial? What have they got to learn? How can they adapt and overcome weakness?

Since this is the 20th anniversary of the original Netherlands series, I would think there'd be a special "Fans vs. Favorites" (8 returning HGs, 8 "superfans") or "All-Stars" season.

I'd rather a completely new line up if it were to return - ultimately I don't think nostalgia would carry the series very far.

I do think though despite the issues on Nine the brand still has a lot of good will towards it in Australia. The issues with Nine were mainly broadcast ones as a result of it playing second fiddle to The Block and also their being not just no live feed, but virtually no news at all outside of the broadcast shows.

Since this is the 20th anniversary of the original Netherlands series, I would think there'd be a special "Fans vs. Favorites" (8 returning HGs, 8 "superfans") or "All-Stars" season.

Since they eat croissants in France, I would think there'd be only a special pizza pantry in the kitchen.

Is this the part of the year where content for Seven is thin on the ground. After this weeks reality finals Ten have moved on to Survivor (and the Bachelor) and Nine to The Block, but to me it looks like Seven only really have Australia's Got Talent now, and that's a once a week affair rather than stripped nightly. I know they did plan a second season of My Kitchen Rules but wisely ruled it out.

That said even if Seven went for it I wouldn't want to see it airing at the same point of the year as Australian Survivor, and The Block is probably one of the toughest shows for the show to be up against, along with Married at First Sight/MKR at the beginning of the year. Indeed the shows best hope might be back where it belong in a post-Easter slot at Ten, helped along by all the Masterchef judges quitting so a potential ratings disaster there next year to open up the slot for a 2021 return of BB, 20 years since it debuted in Australia (which is more relevent to Aussie viewers than the original series launching in the Netherlands two years earlier).

I think it'll be September - C4 have just started a 6 week run of a new Friday night chat show and have already confirmed The Last Leg returns on 25th October, so I'm sure it'll air Sept/Oct as I think the Friday night shows will take their 10pm slot.

Last edited:
Back