Skip to main content

My Kitchen Rules 2015

...that catering for 20 people was a very lucky result for me to be honest nutmeg lol!... that was probably about 4 years ago from memory... if I had to do that again I seriously doubt that I could fluke a good result like that again... haha!... but I did stick to recipes and stuff and did do proper measures of ingredients etc... but you are right about recipes on the show... I have never seen any now that I think about it... and also the measuring... that never happens either...

...also... don't they know about meat thermometers etc?... they are always guessing if anything is cooked... there are some really strange 'lack of things' at times on this show... strange indeed... I wonder if there are some MKR rules somewhere that the contestants have to abide by somewhere within the internet?... it sure would be interesting to read for sure... lol!... cheers.

And whilst I'm on topic, wouldn't they practice practice practice these dishes so they get it right on the night? I'd like to know what goes on behind the scenes

From what I read, the contestants have to submit around 30 recipes to the producers and the producers tell them what they will be cooking the day before they cook.

From what I read, the contestants have to submit around 30 recipes to the producers and the producers tell them what they will be cooking the day before they cook.

...so if they are told which recipes will be served then all the more reason to do a full trial run that very day then eh?... wow!... they're not very clever these people are they?... cheers.

Thirty recipes? Well that explains why the contestants often look uncertain. I certainly don't have thirty impressive recipes committed to memory, so unless you are lucky and they pick one that you are all over, things could get messy, and luckily for us, they often do, lol.
I wonder what time of day they get told ... maybe there isn't enough time for a practice run.

Thirty recipes? Well that explains why the contestants often look uncertain. I certainly don't have thirty impressive recipes committed to memory, so unless you are lucky and they pick one that you are all over, things could get messy, and luckily for us, they often do, lol.
I wonder what time of day they get told ... maybe there isn't enough time for a practice run.

...if they are told at about 5:00 in the afternoon or something like that then there still is time for the trial run... any time after that would stuff them up methinks... cheers.

It seemed more obvious than usual tonight that the girls didn't know the house they were cooking in, starting with their reaction to having to lug their groceries up a marathon driveway.

I just found the article and it's even more recipes than I thought, they have to submit 36 recipes for entree, 36 for mains and 36 for dessert. So that's a whopping 108 recipes altogether.

Source: http://www.womansday.com.au/enterta...-rules-bombshell-they-dont-know-how-to-cook!/

Reactions: Tee
I just found the article and it's even more recipes than I thought, they have to submit 36 recipes for entree, 36 for mains and 36 for dessert. So that's a whopping 108 recipes altogether.

Source: http://www.womansday.com.au/enterta...-rules-bombshell-they-dont-know-how-to-cook!/

...holy shit Batman!... that's incredible!!!... stuff that!... why would you bother to go on the show at all?... oh that''s right... for your 15 minutes of fame I guess lol!... I found this part interesting within that article...

Additionally, previous challenges will be turned on their head, with a whole new bag of tricks in store for the teams!

Gone are the MKR Food Truck challenges,” confesses the series insider of the impressive mobile pop-up kitchen that catered to the masses last year.

“This season, teams are being dragged from the campground to the skies.”

...from the campground to the skies?????... wtf???... I suppose that I'll have to watch and see then?... lol!... cheers.

The whole "bland food" thing annoys me a bit. We have judges who like strong flavours, but should someone be marked down severely for perfectly cooked fish just because it doesn't burn with chili or taste strongly of garlic? I have quite mild tastes myself, I don't even put salt & pepper on most things, and I don't think I would add spices I didn't like just to please somebody else. I've never really noticed if there is salt & pepper (or things like tomato or hot sauce) on the table or do they have to eat the meals exactly as they are served up? But then I'm not in a cooking competition and I think most of the stuff they serve up is pretty unpalatable. "Perfectly cooked barramundi" sounds yum, with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. Chili barramundi, I probably wouldn't eat at all.
Food should never be bland though.

Just the right amount of salt can really make flavours pop. While I don't add salt and pepper once I serve, I do add it to almost everything I cook.

To me, mild tastes does not equate to bland tastes.

It drives be crazy that they don't do practice runs, and they don't have recipes either. I assume they are not allowed to have written recipes, otherwise why wouldn't you? It's one thing to do small batches from memory, but not all of us are used to cooking for 20 people like Mr Stickyfingers, lol. And why don't they measure things out either, especially when we so often see it go wrong.

I felt for the girls tonight, especially with grandma's wonton recipe. The wontons looked great, but I don't like too much ginger, so I doubt I would have liked it.
I don't need recipes for the things I cook well, and I usually guesstimate the ingredients I need to add, unless it is the type of dish that needs perfect portioned ingredients to work.

I didn't know that.

I would be hard pressed finding 30 mains I cook perfectly from memory alone.

It seemed more obvious than usual tonight that the girls didn't know the house they were cooking in, starting with their reaction to having to lug their groceries up a marathon driveway.
Yes, that would make it more difficult that's for sure, I love the show, and I would imagine how intense it would be to cook for 12 people, on Tv.

OMG they're all terrible cooks! Well, most of them.

So far, I like Ash and Robert & Lyndsey.

Annie & Lloyd and Kat & Andre can GTFO! So ugh.

I am not finding this round of cooks as endearing as the others.

I found Mr Tennis super irritating, I am just sad he can cook because it means he will be sticking around for a while.

I am not finding this round of cooks as endearing as the others.

I found Mr Tennis super irritating, I am just sad he can cook because it means he will be sticking around for a while.

...I have to agree Trala... he's one of those name-dropping types that will throw in who he played against just to endear us to him... (it actually had the opposite effect on me I can tell you)... even Mrs Sticky said... "Oh hell... this guy loves himself to death... I don't like him!"... (my wife is not a liar so it must be true lol!)... I don't like him at all and can only hope that he is not here for the long run... as I say... I can only hope... cheers.

It's not too do with this season but we just had Carly and Tresne at our local shopping centre this Saturday doing a bit of a cooking demo. They are such lovely girls and I had a bit of a taste of what they cooked and it was pretty good. They did let out a bit of a secret about the show which made me realise that the producers hold all the power in the beginning and so all they can to pick who they want to go through to the next round and who they don't.
Still love the show though.

I'm a bit annoyed that Matt & Rob hadn't cooked quail before but had it as their main course, and then only cooked enough for their guests, so didn't have extra quails as testers to see whether they were cooked.
I thought the judges scores were maybe bit harsh, which put them at the bottom of the scoreboard by 1 point

I'm a bit annoyed that Matt & Rob hadn't cooked quail before but had it as their main course, and then only cooked enough for their guests, so didn't have extra quails as testers to see whether they were cooked.
I thought the judges scores were maybe bit harsh, which put them at the bottom of the scoreboard by 1 point

...I may have already said this before I'm not sure... in past seasons Pete and Manu used to be 'good cop/bad cop' type of people when it came to judging meals... I feel that Pete used to be the 'bad cop' in the years of past but this year it seems to be Manu that has taken on the role of the 'bad cop' to me at least... he seems to be quite harsh with them at times... I'm not sure as to what made them change the roles but I have definitely noticed it myself... have any of you noticed it too or is it my imagination?... just asking... cheers.

I know!

Such a stupid thing to do.

And I would think quail and salad go together like wearing a bikini on a winters day!

And why no taster?!

I like these boys, but if you can't even bake a brownie mix, get the fuck out!

Makes you wonder whether the producers wanted the attention of a Hemsworth more than the attention of a good cook.

Ridiculous cook off.

Back