Skip to main content

2014 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV ratings 2014: finales of Big Brother, The Big Adventure, Beauty and the Geek crash in final week
November 28, 2014 4:41PM
by: By Colin Vickery National TV Writer

THE final week of the 2014 TV ratings year was an utter flop with hardly any shows on the commercial TV networks cracking the 1 million viewer benchmark.

Channels Seven, Nine and Ten all struggled to find a hit even though the final week of ratings is traditionally the time the networks roll out their big guns.

Not this year.

The finales of The Big Adventure, Big Brother and Beauty and the Geek Australia have all been duds.

The Big Adventure finale averaged a disappointing 628,000 viewers across Australia’s five capital cities with the short Winner Announced segment rising to 649,000.

That was despite tradie Mark Sellar winning a massive $1 million prize money during the episode.

Big Brother - Winner Announced slumped to 737,000 viewers – a near 50 per cent drop from the 1.4 million that watched last year’s finale. Surfer Ryan Ginns took home $200,000.

Beauty and the Geek Australia’s final episode languished on 548,000 - down 31 per cent on last year (803,000). Nick Hamilton and Candice Stinson won the $100,000 prize.

The only finale to post a respectable figure was Dancing with the Stars with 1.063 million viewers – but that was 23 per cent down on last year’s 1.38 million. Former AFL footballer David Rodan and dance partner Melanie Hooper claimed the mirrorball trophy.

Last night things were so bad that Nine aired old repeats of New Tricks and Midsomer Murders which usually screen on its digital channel GEM.

The move backfired with New Tricks (438,000) and Midsomer Murders (193,000) barely putting up a fight.

Last night’s A Current Affair, a special One Direction edition, can be added to the flop list with 547,000 viewers, possibly due to the show’s older demographic, but also because all anyone wanted to hear about last night was the tragic death of cricketer Phillip Hughes, who wasn’t even mentioned on the show.

“The networks aren’t ending 2014 with a bang, they’re ending it with a whimper,” media analyst Steve Allen says. “A puppy would have more bark.”

Ten’s highest rating shows this week have been Gold Coast Cops (772,000) and NCIS (700,000). Ten has also been getting some traction with Madam Secretary (560,000).

Nine scored well with the One Day Cricket – Australia v South Africa (1.171 million) and The Big Bang Theory (1.044 million).

Seven grabbed respectable figures for Criminal Minds (800,000) and Home and Away (a high of 882,000 on Monday).

The ABC has got good returns from Australian Story (996,000), Countdown: Do Yourself a Favour (919,000), Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell (733,000) and Cilla (728,000).

536946-bfc6d4f6-76b5-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

Oh, Brother ... Big Brother is unlikely to return next year with viewers well down on last year. Source: Supplied

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...sh-in-final-week/story-e6frfmyi-1227138538474
Maybe people are just sick and tired of talent and reality shows for the time being and repeats of repeats of repeats?

She spelt "received" wrong.
While I cannot deny and have no intention of denying her support from the viewers/voters, I still wonder how many of the housemates had help from the production team in either being evicted or saved. The I before E can be a tricky one if you don't say it to yourself from time to time, lol, although many words are that way now. I still do the 30 days rhyme every so often.

Last edited:
I' before E' except after C'?..sorreeee!
And here endeth the lesson...((^~*))
Just being light hearted,but her spelling is correct!

Oh boy... Correct spelling IS 'Received!
Learn something new every day!
So much for spell check!!!

Maybe people are just sick and tired of talent and reality shows for the time being and repeats of repeats of repeats?
TV is getting more and more fragmented. Also streaming is becoming more popular. It could just be the trend away from network TV. After all I just spent 3 months watching an Aussie TV show.

She spelt "received" wrong.
It's correct but she also needs to get a thesaurus, I'm sick of hearing the word "unapologetically" from her. No one ever said she had to apologise for her behavior in the first place. It's redundant and overused.
I' before E' except after C'?..sorreeee!
And here endeth the lesson...((^~*))
Just being light hearted,but her spelling is correct!
They don't teach that any more because there are more exceptions to the rule than there are words that follow it.

Having read a few more responses I did wonder if they still taught that but I did know that it followed the old rule.
They do still teach it but there is so many exceptions so it's basically irrelevant.

Some teachings now go by if it's a "see" sound like received or a C sounding like "sh" like proficient... Where as ei is correct for 'see' sounding Cs or ie is correct for 'sh' sounding..

I only lightheartedly pointed out she spelt received as 'recieved' because she teaches English and is an English major.. and she put a lot of emphasis on her English and knowledge of.

Happy Friday :p

They do still teach it but there is so many exceptions so it's basically irrelevant.

Some teachings now go by if it's a "see" sound like received or a C sounding like "sh" like proficient... Where as ei is correct for 'see' sounding Cs or ie is correct for 'sh' sounding..

I only lightheartedly pointed out she spelt received as 'recieved' because she teaches English and is an English major.. and she put a lot of emphasis on her English and knowledge of.

Ah, irony then. I was going to comment accordingly myself about it then but it could just be a typo and she didn't mean to get it round the wrong way. Who knows. I doubt it though.

Is it spelt or learnt instead of spelled or learned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back