Skip to main content

Was Ryan winning the ultimate proof this was a bad season?

don't want to go all monty python and state the bleeding fucking obvious but he hasn't won yet. I have a shedload of money on it and everytime I hear he will win, he wont.

I have an awful feeling the sunburnt fish will win it.

skype fish hungover.jpg

i love how people hold the fact that skye has been up front with her fellow housemates against her by maintaining she had 'an easy run' with her secrets video :rolleyes:
i asked last night what you all thought bb had left out of that video and there is still not a single response. so i ask again...

I think the owner of this thread says it all.

Hypothetically, the way I see it, you could have removed Ryan and the show would have been no different. That's something you could not really say to Travis or Skye.

Now, if Ryan won a BB in US it would have been no problem at all. "Coasting under the radar" in the beginning is a very effective strategy. But your BB in AUS is certainly a popularity contest no matter how else you want to put it. I just don't think someone who's "coasting under the radar" deserves to win your kind of Big Brother, where the public actually has the final say.

Honestly, up until now, Ryan's popularity is odd for me. I just can't put my finger on it. I am no fan of Skye or Travis either but I certainly can see why they are popular. But oh well I guess there's something appealing about Ryan that does not work for me. His good look, maybe? Nah! You've got Ed from last year. Now that's a good-looking guy.

The fact that Ryan didn't even audition for BB and wanted to go on The Block was just the beginning of it.

Rob Cesternino auditioned for BBUS, but they already had a character of his archetype, but they liked him and gave his number to the Survivor casting people, and he ended up being one of the best Survivors ever, so that is no reason to discount him.

But Ryan was no Rob Cesternino.

If Ryan had been nominated during the first few weeks, would he have been evicted? Since he barely had any screen time, I'd assume he wouldn't have developed a substantial following (unlike Travis and Skye who were big characters from Day 1).

Stop asking hypothetical questions.

I also do not understand why Ryan is in the final 3? I get it why Skye is there... all the immature preteens that do most of the voting. At least Travis gave us that Priya fight last night and is ok guy, just a bit simple.

Yes I agree!! This is why I want Skye to win because everyone has an opinion of her, either they hate her or love her.

Ehhhh I dunno how I feel about this. Since about the halfway point evictees had been advocating for Ryan to win, so his presence in the house was definitely felt... just not by us.

I thought the days of nobodies winning were over with the switch to vote to save, but evidently nominations are still one of the biggest problems in the game. I know the HMs should have SOME power, that way they can effectively strategise or what have you - but BB is a SHOW first and foremost. Someone who contributes so little to the show's content (at least directly) really shouldn't be in a position to win. That's why Dion was evicted. That's why Jake was evicted. That's why Marina was evicted. That's why Lina and Ryan SHOULD HAVE been evicted. But they escaped because of nominations. Which, as a viewer, is soooo bloody frustrating.

I know there are a lot of Ryan fans, and I don't want to imply he was completely useless. He was a low key alpha male, fueled some of the group dynamics, and had some humerous moments with Sonia. But will I remember him? No. His position in the final 3 is essentially interchangeable. And I won't want to commend him on a game well-played because he was one nomination, super-power or double eviction away from having his ass on the turf - none of which he has any foresight to predict or control.

Whether he wins or not, he will always just be a boring casting choice. Someone who got in over... Penny? Richard? ANYONE really.

Ehhhh I dunno how I feel about this. Since about the halfway point evictees had been advocating for Ryan to win, so his presence in the house was definitely felt... just not by us.

I thought the days of nobodies winning were over with the switch to vote to save, but evidently nominations are still one of the biggest problems in the game. I know the HMs should have SOME power, that way they can effectively strategise or what have you - but BB is a SHOW first and foremost. Someone who contributes so little to the show's content (at least directly) really shouldn't be in a position to win. That's why Dion was evicted. That's why Jake was evicted. That's why Marina was evicted. That's why Lina and Ryan SHOULD HAVE been evicted. But they escaped because of nominations. Which, as a viewer, is soooo bloody frustrating.

I know there are a lot of Ryan fans, and I don't want to imply he was completely useless. He was a low key alpha male, fueled some of the group dynamics, and had some humerous moments with Sonia. But will I remember him? No. His position in the final 3 is essentially interchangeable. And I won't want to commend him on a game well-played because he was one nomination, super-power or double eviction away from having his ass on the turf - none of which he has any foresight to predict or control.

Whether he wins or not, he will always just be a boring casting choice. Someone who got in over... Penny? Richard? ANYONE really.
Well also had he been nominated he would have been saved by his rich family and friends so it wouldn't have mattered. Every time he was up he was the 1st one to be saved!

Okay, I might be totally wrong, but:

I think Ryan is possibly the smartest game-player all year.

I guess you could call part of his strategy 'flying under the radar', but I think a better term could be 'nonchalance.'

He doesn't really seem to care about the game or winning the money; whether that's an act or not, I don't know. But when a lot of other housemates are so openly hungry for the win, I think his attitude comes across as pretty refreshing. And I think he knows that.

He's also been very clever with his relationships in the house. Sure, he's rubbed a few people the wrong way, but for the most part there doesn't seem to be any lingering hostility. He also avoided being up for eviction for half the series. The fact that so many housemates who lived with him 24/7 - and got to know him far better than we have - have left the house saying he's a pretty good guy speaks volumes to those who care to listen.

Of course, it can't be denied that he hasn't had much screen time until the last couple of weeks, and it's possible that he won't be a very memorable winner. Maybe he doesn't care about the money 'cos he doesn't really need it. Maybe he is just a 'pot-plant' and hasn't been doing anything that special.

But whatever he's been doing -

It's working.

That is a pretty good answer. He started off with Lisa and Katie, moved on to Sam and Sandra, then again to David. A big part of the game is adjusting your alliances and not to get nominated which he did very well.

My only issue is really with BB editing. Quite a few of the ex housemates said he was fun but instead of showing normal daily living and interactions they focused on what they could use for a story line.
So now there is a potential winner with the least amount of airtime than pretty much everyone. It is possible that Gemma even got more than Ryan. ;)

Okay, I might be totally wrong, but:

I think Ryan is possibly the smartest game-player all year.

I guess you could call part of his strategy 'flying under the radar', but I think a better term could be 'nonchalance.'

He doesn't really seem to care about the game or winning the money; whether that's an act or not, I don't know. But when a lot of other housemates are so openly hungry for the win, I think his attitude comes across as pretty refreshing. And I think he knows that.

He's also been very clever with his relationships in the house. Sure, he's rubbed a few people the wrong way, but for the most part there doesn't seem to be any lingering hostility. He also avoided being up for eviction for half the series. The fact that so many housemates who lived with him 24/7 - and got to know him far better than we have - have left the house saying he's a pretty good guy speaks volumes to those who care to listen.

Of course, it can't be denied that he hasn't had much screen time until the last couple of weeks, and it's possible that he won't be a very memorable winner. Maybe he doesn't care about the money 'cos he doesn't really need it. Maybe he is just a 'pot-plant' and hasn't been doing anything that special.

But whatever he's been doing -

It's working.

Where does all this, 'doesn't care about the money' stuff come from. He plans to use the money to open a bar. He got cast on the show while auditioning for another reality show.

Nah all this 'smart' game playing. They have no idea how the show is run, how often it is on, what is shown. He's just a cruisey guy who has taken the approach to try and not cause much controversy. To just try and put on a 'positive act'. The show has pushed him or challenged him. This is part of the problem.

This is clearly where the season has failed. It has pushed the housemates so someone can just cruise again. He barely got nominated and has had an easy go in the house.

You mention him being clever with his relationships? All his friends have been kicked out, he has managed to be Teflon to it, this is because he is so dull and adds so little. The fact someone can be fake and often quite mean and two faced behind peoples back and cruise through is what is wrong. We never got to see him as a person develop because the way the show was run this year simply didn't not allow for this to happen.

I don't think it is what he has done which is working. It is purely that he has won by default from doing so little. He hasn't put himself out there like the other two and isn't that the point of BB? If they aren't, should it push the housemates. Not just be a beach vacation where the cool guy people like for no reason just cruises through?

Here's my problem with this year.

I actually wouldn't mind if either Trav or Ryan took it out tonight.

My major issue would be if Skye took it out. Why? I still can't decide whether her getting naked to exclude good content is smart or infuriating because we've missed out on so much. I understand that's a 2 parter as the editors ultimately should control what gets shown but jesus christ, not a good win in my books.

Here's my problem with this year.

I actually wouldn't mind if either Trav or Ryan took it out tonight.

My major issue would be if Skye took it out. Why? I still can't decide whether her getting naked to exclude good content is smart or infuriating because we've missed out on so much. I understand that's a 2 parter as the editors ultimately should control what gets shown but jesus christ, not a good win in my books.
you actually believe davids naked thing?
and ppl think skye is the stupid one :hilarious:

Where does all this, 'doesn't care about the money' stuff come from. He plans to use the money to open a bar. He got cast on the show while auditioning for another reality show.

Nah all this 'smart' game playing. They have no idea how the show is run, how often it is on, what is shown. He's just a cruisey guy who has taken the approach to try and not cause much controversy. To just try and put on a 'positive act'. The show has pushed him or challenged him. This is part of the problem.

This is clearly where the season has failed. It has pushed the housemates so someone can just cruise again. He barely got nominated and has had an easy go in the house.

You mention him being clever with his relationships? All his friends have been kicked out, he has managed to be Teflon to it, this is because he is so dull and adds so little. The fact someone can be fake and often quite mean and two faced behind peoples back and cruise through is what is wrong. We never got to see him as a person develop because the way the show was run this year simply didn't not allow for this to happen.

I don't think it is what he has done which is working. It is purely that he has won by default from doing so little. He hasn't put himself out there like the other two and isn't that the point of BB? If they aren't, should it push the housemates. Not just be a beach vacation where the cool guy people like for no reason just cruises through?

Well, I disagree with you, but fair enough.

I said I may be wrong; I was just putting my two cents in.

you actually believe davids naked thing?
and ppl think skye is the stupid one :hilarious:
I was unsure at the start but it has been discussed by several others now inside AND outside of the house.

You're the daft one sweetheart, turn a blind eye to what you don't want to hear about your precious and shoot down everyone else's opinion based on what they've read and heard purely because it paints Skye in a bad light.

I was unsure at the start but it has been discussed by several others now inside AND outside of the house.

You're the daft one sweetheart, turn a blind eye to what you don't want to hear about your precious and shoot down everyone else's opinion based on what they've read and heard purely because it paints Skye in a bad light.
dont get me wrong, i hope skye is that much of a gameplayer. but i dont think its as true as we all wish it were.

Back