Skip to main content

Was Ryan winning the ultimate proof this was a bad season?

up_all_night

Awesome site donor
I know there are many threads about housemates, but this is specifically on this topic. A pretty crappy big brother season and the fact Ryan won being the ultimate proof?

I have disliked winners in the past. Ben 2012, Terri and many others. However most of the time I can see and understand why they won. Terri's was rigged, but Ben to his credit was active in the house and despite a lot of people disliking him. He was a central player in the series. Ultimate the season would not have been the same with out him. His role elevated and altered how many others time in the house went.

This year Ryan's win was almost by default. He never really did anything of note. The season literally would be no different if he wasn't in it. He just cruised through and didn't really have to do much. There was no big influence he had on the house or shaping of how the season ran.

Isn't big brother meant to be a social experiment of people living together, the challenges and the drama? From the final three. Travis was a big personality and whether you like him or not. He was central to a lot of content in the show. The same with Skye and ultimate this was their downfall. They were on Big Brother, and whether playing up to the cameras is considered good BB or not. It's definitely better than pot plant BB.

The nature of the show has become superficial tasks and less about the personalities of the people in the house. So in the end, the person with the least personality, who did the least wins. That's pretty boring BB and the reason the season ended up this way speaks to how flawed it was.

On the Monday night in the secrets show, Skye spoke to how she was surprised at how nasty Ryan was and she was surprised that he was still there. A bunch of us saw the little bits, but ultimately the way the show was constructed. The less time on people in the house. The less room for nuance. The focus on big and easy stories, meant we simply didn't get to know much about those which weren't big and loud personalities.

So much focus was on relationships, tasks, evictions and other bullshit. We didn't really get to know who people were. In the end, some guy who cruised by. The only hints we saw of the real guy were pretty mean, but it didn't matter. There was so little and the audience is so casual. Big Brother was designed this year for a tune in casual kind of program. Not a social experiment of getting to know people. Not something where you had to watch every night, or even wanted to. Just light entertainment and so it doesn't matter.

In the end someone dull wins and the show got cancelled. Whether you liked Ryan or not. I think the outcome of him winning is directly tied to the failure of this season.

I've been seeing many people claim that Ryan is so boring, does nothing, etc. etc. when he clearly is a central character in the house and we have seen on numerous occasions him being hilarious and insightful, yeah there were more, lets say, controversial people who stirred the pot this season, but that doesn't mean he isn't deserving. Previous housemates are saying he's been the same since day 1, so he obviously hasn't been intentionally flying under the radar - perhaps the producers are at fault, who knows

I know there are many threads about housemates, but this is specifically on this topic. A pretty crappy big brother season and the fact Ryan won being the ultimate proof?

I have disliked winners in the past. Ben 2012, Terri and many others. However most of the time I can see and understand why they won. Terri's was rigged, but Ben to his credit was active in the house and despite a lot of people disliking him. He was a central player in the series. Ultimate the season would not have been the same with out him. His role elevated and altered how many others time in the house went.

This year Ryan's win was almost by default. He never really did anything of note. The season literally would be no different if he wasn't in it. He just cruised through and didn't really have to do much. There was no big influence he had on the house or shaping of how the season ran.

Isn't big brother meant to be a social experiment of people living together, the challenges and the drama? From the final three. Travis was a big personality and whether you like him or not. He was central to a lot of content in the show. The same with Skye and ultimate this was their downfall. They were on Big Brother, and whether playing up to the cameras is considered good BB or not. It's definitely better than pot plant BB.

The nature of the show has become superficial tasks and less about the personalities of the people in the house. So in the end, the person with the least personality, who did the least wins. That's pretty boring BB and the reason the season ended up this way speaks to how flawed it was.

On the Monday night in the secrets show, Skye spoke to how she was surprised at how nasty Ryan was and she was surprised that he was still there. A bunch of us saw the little bits, but ultimately the way the show was constructed. The less time on people in the house. The less room for nuance. The focus on big and easy stories, meant we simply didn't get to know much about those which weren't big and loud personalities.

So much focus was on relationships, tasks, evictions and other bullshit. We didn't really get to know who people were. In the end, some guy who cruised by. The only hints we saw of the real guy were pretty mean, but it didn't matter. There was so little and the audience is so casual. Big Brother was designed this year for a tune in casual kind of program. Not a social experiment of getting to know people. Not something where you had to watch every night, or even wanted to. Just light entertainment and so it doesn't matter.

In the end someone dull wins and the show got cancelled. Whether you liked Ryan or not. I think the outcome of him winning is directly tied to the failure of this season.

Terri's was rigged? How so? She won that fair and square!

The fact that Ryan didn't even audition for BB and wanted to go on The Block was just the beginning of it.

Seriously next year if the show is on (which I doubt) and Alex if you still have a job (which I doubt) lets cast housemates that actually audition. Not friends of ex-housemates or talent on hold from other shows.

Its hilarious how we are all already knowing Ryan wins/won. Lol.

I wish the finale was going to be at least a bit suspenseful but Ryan's victory is sticking out like dogs balls. Its as obvious as Tim's win last year, actually possibly moreso I kinda thought Tahan had a fighting chance.

Ryan dull? Are you serious? Okay, in the first few weeks maybe. But he redeemed himself either way.

Ryan is witty, charismatic (not to the point where sounds dumb - a la, Travis), well-spoken and smart. You're an intelligent, well-spoken yourself (judging from your posts) - So I don't see why you didn't make a thread on Skye instead? :confused: Oh, I would take Skye's words with a grain of salt....Seriously, she exaggerates stuff (i.e. Ryan being too nasty to stay on the show?) - She overreacts. Can't believe you would fall for it....

Jamie and the Logan brothers were exceptionally bad winners. And Ryan will never be in the same vicinity as theirs. :stop:

With that being said, I do agree that this season wasn't too well, especially with the premature evictions of rather amazing housemates (Gemma, Sandra, Jason) and the late-intruders - who should've either come in earlier or instead of Leo/Marina.

Back