Skip to main content

What's your day job?

Or maybe lawyers aren't as hated as @Thing thinks. ;)

There's a few who post on here, and I like all the ones I've met. (actually have some off-forum lawyer friends too)

All my clients are really nice until I show 'em the bill or quote & there like :madd: :depressed: :dead:
I love Law!

I kind of regret not picking Law.

What kind of Law?!

Criminal! That's my favourite...too much CSI miami for me not to love that stuff.

Mainly environmental law, but I work from home now so I dabble in a bit of everything - the area I live has big firms about 30 mins drive away so I get local community garden variety legal stuff, conveyancing, wills, the odd drink driver etc...

Oh lawyers aren't so bad, I have quite a few friends who are lawyers. My sis and my cousin both studied law but interestingly enough neither actually took the bar, maybe they have more sense than that.
Yeah silly me thought if you get a law degree then you just pay the law society a bucket load of $$$ & get a piece of paper .... nooooo, another year of study & work experience after Uni & then you give over buckets of $$$$

All my clients are really nice until I show 'em the bill or quote & there like :madd: :depressed: :dead:

Mainly environmental law, but I work from home now so I dabble in a bit of everything - the area I live has big firms about 30 mins drive away so I get local community garden variety legal stuff, conveyancing, wills, the odd drink driver etc...
So jealous..
I could never make my mind up in high school about Law and sometimes I do regret not picking it.

Good luck to you and save up on the $$$$$$$$ and buy yourself a Jaguar!

Yeah silly me thought if you get a law degree then you just pay the law society a bucket load of $$$ & get a piece of paper .... nooooo, another year of study & work experience after Uni & then you give over buckets of $$$$

Tell me about it, I studied psych and graduated to learn the undergraduate degree is basically an Arts degree. I also studied teaching and even then learnt you can't just rock up to a school and ask for a job. Stupid universities.

So jealous..
I could never make my mind up in high school about Law and sometimes I do regret not picking it.

Do you have doubts about what you're studying now? As soon as I started studying I was jealous of so many other degrees and wanted to change. I don't regret sticking it out but I definitely wished I had changed at the time, if that makes sense.

So jealous..

I do enough to pay the bills & have a little left over, I really prefer not to work, I hate working, I'd rather go down the beach lolz or go out - I seriously doubt I'd ever buy a Jag or anything like that - I'm very laZy hahahaha

Fun! A few of my friends with law degrees can't get jobs. They're all now working for various Government departments waiting to get their foot in the door somewhere.

I know, I worked for an ambulance chasing scum law practice for 2 years almost to the day, just so I could qualify for a full practicing certificate & then quit - I HATED it lolz... You charge hundred of $$$ an hour of which they get most of it, 10 hour days urgggghhhh - law practice definitely not for me... :) If I had my time over again, I wouldn't do it knowing what I do now...

Do you have doubts about what you're studying now? As soon as I started studying I was jealous of so many other degrees and wanted to change. I don't regret sticking it out but I definitely wished I had changed at the time, if that makes sense.
I feel like that sometimes.
I do like what I'm studying now, I just think that maybe (based on my personality) I was more suited to Law.
But I still have a long way to go in my degree, and people change, so I mean maybe in a a years time I'll be 100% confident in my choice of degree.

But yeah I think if you want to change your degree you should do it by the end of your first year and if I really wanted to I should have switched earlier. I think I'll like what I'm studying more next year! Well I hope lol.

I feel like that sometimes.
I do like what I'm studying now, I just think that maybe (based on my personality) I was more suited to Law.
But I still have a long way to go in my degree, and people change, so I mean maybe in a a years time I'll be 100% confident in my choice of degree.

But yeah I think if you want to change your degree you should do it by the end of your first year and if I really wanted to I should have switched earlier. I think I'll like what I'm studying more next year! Well I hope lol.

I do tend to think if there is ongoing doubt that it's best to find an exit clause, no use wasting your time with something you might never use. Speaking in general of course, not with regards to you personally. Really though, these things work out, and if you can stick it out then any degree is good, there is always post grad.

I used to consult to publishing companies writing textbook materials and exams, but now work for myself publishing education books.

Back