Skip to main content

Is this 2008 all over again!?

kbomb247

Failed novelty evictions...much-hyped twists dropped after a week due to their dismal failure to spark ratings...visitors from the outside...producers changing the rules more often than their undies out of pure desparation...this season smells like the 2nd coming of the abomination that was 2008, and I'm not liking it one iota!

Revealing housemates before start date - tick.
Housemates in control of who is evicted - tick.
C list celebrities in the first couple of weeks - tick.
New housemates in the first couple of weeks - tick.

Yep this is 2008 all over again, and the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. Bye bye Big Brother :(

You know what, though? I don't give a f*ck if it's axed now, because it's become a hot mess and a distant pathetic shadow of the powerhouse it once was. I'm glad we had seasons 2012 and 2013, because they had some of the best (in my opinion) housemates ever in Michael (pre-estelle-mackfest), Ben Norris (his funny side), Tim, Tahan, Mikkayla and Ben Zabel. I think the pinnacle was Tim & Ben last year - they aren't ever going to get any better housemates than those 2, and they should have finished the show on a high after 10 seasons.

Damn it, you took my thread thunder. :p

I've been secretly keeping track and I'd planned a complete write-up of something similar - there has been soooo many incidents from this year so far that mirror BB08. It's not a good sign at all!

Was this the subject of your forthcoming video @the Theorist ? (side-by-side BB08 vs BB2014?) ;).

2008 is the only year I've been to a live show - it was the Finale. I'm glad I did. Despite the stunt casting and celebrity visitors (Carson/Powers/Anderson) it still had the live streaming component. Definitely not my favourite series, though, due to the fact.

Yep. Unfortunately. I can't believe the decline it's had since last year. What is it exactly that has made this year turn out so wrong? I can think of reasons but it seems it's not just the hard-core fans that are turning off.

A lot of it is the people who are in it
honestly they are far from interesting
What they should of done was pick the ones they didn't want in may have made for better viewing

Also I think the show will be moved to later in the night before it ends this year due to the low ratings

They already moved it to Gem tonight in certain states because the footy show takes precedence.

Also I think the show will be moved to later in the night before it ends this year due to the low ratings

They already moved it to Gem tonight in certain states because the footy show takes precedence.
To be fair it is the final footy show for the year. its a big event in melbourne and they will do the same thing in Sydney next week with the NRL footy final show.

Even the housemates are similar. Saxon = Travis (uneducated arrogant oaf)...Travis 08 = Jake (look similar)...Rima = Gemma (polar opposite -tanned dwarf vs pale giant)...Cat = Nana Terri...Skye = Brigitte...Lisa = Bianca (argumentative busty loudmouth...

no because this is 2014.
2008 was 6 years ago.

Big Brother's time is over.

You can't resurrect it. It lived its long life. Let it die already. No, even Ch10 won't somehow 'heal' it.

And this is coming from a BB fan.

I thought 2008 wasn't even that bad except for the constant visitors (Carson Kressley and Pamela Anderson) and stunts pulled. And of course the rigging for Terri to win at the end.

2008 at least had livestreaming and was still "Big Brother", just not a very good one. I remember the mood on the forum the day it got axed, despite the consensus that it was a poor series, people were still devastated. I think it would be a lot easier to let go of now, when the original format has already died anyway.

I think this is a good season apart from two major things.

1. Late time slots. It's not helping. Bb is usually a 7pm/7.30 show. You use the later time slots for the adults only material.

2. No form of updates at all. We thought it was bad we weren't getting 24/7 video streaming or Uplate but we had to make do with their little replacement in 'live updates' which was random posts throughout the day/night of what was going on in the house with small videos and pictures attached. Now we haven't even got that. It's just 9's version of neighbours/home & away now.

2 hours ago I was in here reading this forum thinking to myself how spot on everyone is and that I totally agree.
Now after tonight's episode I'm hesitant. I really loved tonight's ep and I think if they keep it up, it might actually pull through.
But, we've all learnt not to rely on consistency from the producers...

Back