Skip to main content

BB 2014 launch was distinctly underwhelming

Due to the "pairs" business it felt rushed as there was no time to get to know the Housemates. Then they both stood awkwardly looking at everything but each other next to the pregnant tapeworm.

Yeah it all felt so rushed on stage. Then we had so many damn ad breaks as well.

It doesnt seem like applications count for much any more. With so many of the housemates, having contacts with previous housemates, it stinks. Its not what you would call Getting an Aussie fair go. If people take the time and trouble to apply, they should at least get a chance to get in the house on merit, or at least to have a chance of being seen. It seems like most of this years housemates have connections, with past housemates. A slippery slope in my opinion.

I thought it was just lacking the excitement that a launch show needs, one of my favourite things from last years launch was the little video thingy to that song: hall of fame.
I think there was to much chatting on stage. Not to mention all those stupid comments they were told to make about how 'opinionated' and 'confident' they are.
OK, now I feel 10 kilos lighter

I thought it was just lacking the excitement that a launch show needs, one of my favourite things from last years launch was the little video thingy to that song: hall of fame.
I think there was to much chatting on stage. Not to mention all those stupid comments they were told to make about how 'opinionated' and 'confident' they are.
OK, now I feel 10 kilos lighter

Agreed!

The launch was horrible imo, worse than the 2012 launch.

Sonia's dance was cringe. WTF was that? I don't even know what to call what she was doing?

It had the same cheesy, mornings with Kerri-Anne quality to it as the launch show of 2012 had. It felt very much like I was watching a scripted, light entertainment programme filled with SUCH ZANY AND WHACKY CHARACTERS... LIKE JAKE!, hosted by stepford wife Sonia, who never misses her (auto)cue. The housemate packages, Sonia's mannequin like perfection, the housemates entering the house... it all felt very artificial. I had the exact same problem with the launch of 2012. I can't remember if last year's launch was this bad, but I do remember I enjoyed it much more than this year, or 2012. Maybe it's the way they film and edit the launch shows, as when it comes to the live evictions, it seems less of an issue.

They need to just start filming the launch live, or at least find a way to run it and edit it into a more cohesive package. There's just something that feels very "off" about it all that's hard to articulate. It feels like it's being filmed in a Channel 9 studio, rather than an atmospheric auditorium. Big Brother was designed to be live, and it was designed to feel like an event. For some reason, the launches always come off as cold and clinical. I don't like how they force Sonia to stick to the autocue and flash us a vacant smile every now and then. Sonia isn't some vacant ninny, we know what she is capable of - she can be witty and dynamic, and she's capable of thinking quickly on her feet - it's why I was so excited when I heard she'd been given the job in the first place. It's sad to see her potential being wasted on a show where she should be shining. When I listen to her radio interviews, or even watch her during some of her "Mornings" segments, her personality does shine through. Gretel always let her personality shine through, and that's why we loved (and at times, hated) her. That's what we need Sonia to be, and she needs to be given greater freedom. We know that she can be quite controversial, and she can be quite witty, but you rarely get to see it from her while she's hosting Big Brother.

I'm expecting noticeable improvement in tomorrow's first live show.

Due to the "pairs" business it felt rushed as there was no time to get to know the Housemates. Then they both stood awkwardly looking at everything but each other next to the pregnant tapeworm.

And actually, pairs was done in the United States (BB9).

It had the same cheesy, mornings with Kerri-Anne quality to it as the launch show of 2012 had. It felt very much like I was watching a scripted, light entertainment programme filled with SUCH ZANY AND WHACKY CHARACTERS... LIKE JAKE!, hosted by stepford wife Sonia, who never misses her (auto)cue. The housemate packages, Sonia's mannequin like perfection, the housemates entering the house... it all felt very artificial. I had the exact same problem with the launch of 2012. I can't remember if last year's launch was this bad, but I do remember I enjoyed it much more than this year, or 2012. Maybe it's the way they film and edit the launch shows, as when it comes to the live evictions, it seems less of an issue.

They need to just start filming the launch live, or at least find a way to run it and edit it into a more cohesive package. There's just something that feels very "off" about it all that's hard to articulate. It feels like it's being filmed in a Channel 9 studio, rather than an atmospheric auditorium. Big Brother was designed to be live, and it was designed to feel like an event. For some reason, the launches always come off as cold and clinical. I don't like how they force Sonia to stick to the autocue and flash us a vacant smile every now and then. Sonia isn't some vacant ninny, we know what she is capable of - she can be witty and dynamic, and she's capable of thinking quickly on her feet - it's why I was so excited when I heard she'd been given the job in the first place. It's sad to see her potential being wasted on a show where she should be shining. When I listen to her radio interviews, or even watch her during some of her "Mornings" segments, her personality does shine through. Gretel always let her personality shine through, and that's why we loved (and at times, hated) her. That's what we need Sonia to be, and she needs to be given greater freedom. We know that she can be quite controversial, and she can be quite witty, but you rarely get to see it from her while she's hosting Big Brother.

I'm expecting noticeable improvement in tomorrow's first live show.

Sorry to say... I kind of disagree with you... I reckon they did a good job of editing this year. Except I did have one small gripe, when Sonia said 'Let's go live to the house,' I felt like that was a little bit deceiving since the show was pre-recorded... maybe they went live on set, but she was addressing the at-home audience at that point. But apart from this very small detail, I would have to disagree with you, I felt that her personality shone through much more than on any other BB show that she has hosted... but I guess it is differing opinions that make the world an interesting place, so I'll just have to agree to disagree :p

Reactions: MJL
It doesnt seem like applications count for much any more. With so many of the housemates, having contacts with previous housemates, it stinks. Its not what you would call Getting an Aussie fair go. If people take the time and trouble to apply, they should at least get a chance to get in the house on merit, or at least to have a chance of being seen. It seems like most of this years housemates have connections, with past housemates. A slippery slope in my opinion.

Maybe they just weren't entertaining enough though... If you want the show to be extended again next year then the house has to be full of people who are going to provide the people who edit the show together with entertaining content. If half the house is entertaining and half the house isn't, then you get the people who say the editing is biased, if you don't put entertaining people in then you get the 'didn't pick a good cast' complaint... I reckon asking entertaining housemates from previous years to suggest possible candidates is not actually that bad of an idea to be honest...

Overall I think they did rather well for the length of the show. However, they would have done better adding another 30 min and putting all 16 HM in the first night so they could have experienced everything together.

Those little snippets of video shown to housemates who had to choose a partner were TERRIBLE!!! I thought the horrible over-acting was going to make me vomit. Seriously. Couldn't even look at the television.

Agreed. The launch was weird.

Those little snippets of video shown to housemates who had to choose a partner were TERRIBLE!!! I thought the horrible over-acting was going to make me vomit. Seriously. Couldn't even look at the television.

Agreed. The launch was weird.

It was just one big awkward mess

Back