Skip to main content

Who thinks the mid-week nomination swap is stupid

With the Super Power in play swapping a nominee is stupid... In reality it should be the person with the lowest vote tally mid-week that should be dropped from the vote otherwise it is just pointless fiddling with nominations...

I like it. It changes the game up, creates more points of friction in the house and adds to stress levels during the "unknown" period.

That said, I do think having 6 nominees is a necessary basis - as someone else pointed out, with fewer nominees, the swap becomes too powerful.

And frankly, even more than the swap, I'm LUVVIN the 6 nominees - as fans/voters, we won't have to choose between the same 2-3 nominees all through the mid-point of the season, and on nomination night, it won't be so predictable with big alliances just voting for those same 2-3 people - there's no point to it, you might as spread your nominations out otherwise you risk winding up in there yourself with a small number of points.

Poor Ben.
oh, youre one of those people.... :p

and all the people on here that says he is FAKE. He is NOT fake. He is a genuine sweet down to earth guy. Ben doesn't know every time he talks to his pictures that big brother will air it. And if Ben was so 'fake' he wouldn't have said no to seeing his mother in the diary room.
so you know him personally? :eek:

I think it's cool. They have a chance to save themselves and it stirs the pot when they have to sacrifice someone. The only downside I see is for the producers. I thought they would want voting open longer for more money, even if they do have more housemates up to make up for it.

Housemates have to be strategic if they don't wanna be sacrificed. It's also a chance to get people like Ed out who might otherwise never be nominated.
completely agree,
except they could do the swap on the night of noms, theyve spaced it out on purpose for some reason, so musnt be too worried about money/votes, as long as they get a result.

BEcause it ruins the consistency of who should go - why should the hm's get to choose another person who should be up for eviction and ruin a persons chance of staying another week? The AUDIENCE are supposed to choose NOT a housemate!
1. what do you mean by consistency?
2. i ask you the reverse, why shouldnt HMs get equal opportunity to save themselves from eviction and stay another week?
3. that would completely defeat the purpose of nominations, if it was really up to us, theyd put them all up every week...
either way, HMs choose who get nominated anyway, so why does it matter?

I'm not a fan of it at all either.
I don't like it
great contribution guys!

I like it because I think it keeps all the HMs on their toes .. they know its not final ... and they don't know how it will be decided ... or who by ...

I really like the swap. It just changes things up a little.

Here we go again, winge winge winge.

This years housemates are all in to Win the Game. Therefor Big Brother needs to change the game to keep housemates on there toes.

It is great to see them swap a nominee for a safe housemate. Have a look at what happens.

Ben was like I can't work out why, this is what Big Brother wants to do to make any housemate possibly up for Eviction. If the Evictions were the same, it would be boring this season.

To say they are losing viewers is complete BS, you can't tell me you don't watch it, you saw Jade save herself and put Ben up on last nites episode.

I think it is fine to do a swap. However, I think the "timing" (ie, Thursday) of the swap is incorrect. That only leaves the FRIDAY daily show (ie, one day) for voters to see the reactions and/or any changes in housemate behaviour. One day is, in my opinion, not enough time for voters to make up their mind.

That said, in another similar post on this subject, it was pointed out that voters would likely vote for housemates based on their previous behaviour, rather than voting based on watching their actions for just one day on the Friday daily show. Whilst I do agree that voters would probably vote based on a housemate's previous actions, I'd like to think there would also be voters out there who'd like to see whether or not the nominated housemate(s) take the time to figure out or recognise the reason why they were nominated, and then try to make an effort to change their behaviour in some way. For example, if you are bossy, then do not be as bossy, if you don't clean or help in the kitchen, then start to clean and help in the kitchen. Seeing a housemate recognise a flaw, trying to make a change, and then assessing the reactions of other housemates could be a reason to sway my vote. It also goes the other way where the housemate who is swapped "in" might be annoyed at that and could change their behaviour accordingly. They could change their behaviour in a positive way, or a negative way. And one daily show on a Friday is, frankly, not enough time in my opinion to see if any such good or bad behavioural changes occur so that I can then make up my (voting) mind conclusively.

In addition to the above, how is BB making money on voting if the voting really only starts after Thursday's show and then the eviction happens on Monday? Surely they would want to maximise the ability to make revenue from votes. But, with this swapping system, on a Thursday, with the eviction on a Monday, and no shows shown in between, that seems not to be the case.

Last edited:
I like it. It changes the game up, creates more points of friction in the house and adds to stress levels during the "unknown" period.

That said, I do think having 6 nominees is a necessary basis - as someone else pointed out, with fewer nominees, the swap becomes too powerful.

And frankly, even more than the swap, I'm LUVVIN the 6 nominees - as fans/voters, we won't have to choose between the same 2-3 nominees all through the mid-point of the season, and on nomination night, it won't be so predictable with big alliances just voting for those same 2-3 people - there's no point to it, you might as spread your nominations out otherwise you risk winding up in there yourself with a small number of points.

Yep pretty much my thoughts as well.....

Last years hms were just too savvy to BB game...as little of the format had really changed....at least this year Hms, especially those that may be die hard fans and are overly familiar with the format keeps them on the back foot..

I like it..

I LOVE the nomination swap, it definitely makes it so different characters will be put up rather than the same old people. It also means housemates will have to interact more because people like Ben are going to keep getting swapped in if they don't participate and make some buddies. Also as much as the gimmicks can be tiring they're really causing some tension and drama, which is awesome. I much prefer the person who wins showdown to pick the swap then the random phone call etc like before.

I can take it or leave it but what happens to votes that went to save a HM who is rescued? Isn't there the potential for wasted votes and or $$$?

I can take it or leave it but what happens to votes that went to save a HM who is rescued? Isn't there the potential for wasted votes and or $$$?

voting doesn't open until after the switch, so the answer to you point is =no

And I suspect 9 only has cheap voting system set up, they bought the bargain phone deal for 4 days.
In fact maybe they get so few votes they only need the set up for a couple of days

I think it is fine to do a swap. However, I think the "timing" (ie, Thursday) of the swap is incorrect. That only leaves the FRIDAY daily show (ie, one day) for voters to see the reactions and/or any changes in housemate behaviour. One day is, in my opinion, not enough time for voters to make up their mind.

this is a really good point. totally agree

I like the swap and I like that it is part of the weekly games: Such psychological conflict.

It's my favourite thing about 9's version.

Probably because they keep swapping people that make me laugh......if they kept putting Timmy or Drew up I might change my mind.

I like that they cannot get all smug being not nominated, and that it's so random who controls the swap - so far.

I think it's a good idea to mix things up. I agree with the above comment about them not being able to be smug about escaping nomination, too. It keeps them on their toes. The fact it's so late in the week doesn't bother me either, I don't honestly think that an extra three days of viewing someone as a nominee would make you want to change who you vote for anyway (if you vote).

The one thing I don't enjoy is that it's a housemate's choice who to swap. It's way too big of a responsibility - way to much power - for any housemate. I preferred the idea of it being randomly distributed. Winning Showdown shouldn't warrant that power.

Back