Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am aware of the evolution of the english language. we tend to use shorter sentences nowadays. and other stuff too.

IE I meant how it expanded around Shakespeare's time, it used to be say 1,000 words used - blew up to millions, due to travel/trade and Shakespeare and writers.
They stole from French/Italian a LOT......and more from new discoveries, new worlds
I meant the evolution through centuries, influence of church, LATIN.......and wars[DOUBLEPOST=1515468601][/DOUBLEPOST]Have you read WUTHERING HEIGHTS?????

Add Wuthering Heights to your recommended reading list, it is in my top 5 ever books.....but more important than me, it is highly regarded in classic studies...
I read and fell in love with the book in high school, we studied it; and then again it was a book I studied at Uni.

I ask because - I think you personally may find it illuminating.....about romance and obsession......and also about something far more enormous......human SOULS, the connections, and a supernatural one-ness. And more, class, outsiders,rebels,nature.
It was so interesting how different it was focusing on the book in high school from Uni, and how interpretation had advanced.

Widely considered the first MODERN novel, it is passion/spirit/strangeness/connection.....and beyond beautiful
So remarkable that a young sheltered woman from a vicarage wrote this one MASTERPIECE then died, I can't help but get enthralled by everything about the Brontes, but prefer Emily to Charlotte.

when i do the online dating/dating thing i try to be as unobsessive as possible. as detached as one can be, even though it is not my true personality.

i think because my writing tends to be towards the child like is why i haven't really been enthralled by the difficult adult classical novels. it's not that i would have trouble reading them, of course i wouldn't, it's just that they don't call out to me like a alice in wonderland or wind in the willows.

It is an easy read, and so passionate - I think you should love it, confusing in parts, read as a straight romance in highschool, then all the mystical stuff in Uni....

Ahhhhh, you see Shakespeare gives you EVERYTHING......fantasy & reality, get MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM
And I actually thought some of your silly rhymes were you aping the style of the comedies, hey nonny non
You should love all the CLEVER FOOLS in Shakespeare

I hate Jane Eyre.......and so wish they swapped places, ie Emily should have survived
A lot of that bleak book is her reality, the horrid boarding school was REAL.

Don't worry Emily and Charlotte are like chalk and cheese.....Emily is wild & brave where Charlotte is prissy and meek.

What about Jane Austen? Read much there?

I love following authors real lives and struggles, the Brontes were amazing, obsessed with writing, impoverished, women - published as men eventually.

This is how the poor darlings had to write at first, so poor no paper....

original-5607-1403893093-5.jpg

b355d7c7a61eea8af5e4e0b86b808ad8.jpg

EMMA is the most fun............and several modern movies are based on that story, eg CLUELESS

You can read it online free, like lots of classics.......I have always meant to read more Dickens, and many more classics I need to read

Have you read Don Quixote? I tried years ago, must have another go, as it is listed as top 10 in most lists it makes no 1
Catch 22 is something more modern for reading.......utterly exquisite, this book will improve anyone's vocab, I have never found another to challenge my vocab so much, but beautifully not just posing. Amazing book worth it just for the 22

free reads site
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/66/a3/fc/66a3fc1ceee36d269ff02980bb5e003a.jpg

i have not read don quixote, but i remember witty saying the main character reminded him of me. i'm not sure why.

He has fantasies....the whole premise is he tilts at windmills. He is on a quest.
In search of something, he is nuts I think
Some literary types claim to read it once a year

A couple of hard classics I find, Captain Courageous.....I hate that book with a passion, with Old Man and the Sea, school books I had to read. Any school book I hated I would try to talk myself into liking - those 2 I just, err, too much boy/man centric shit

I prefer English authors, a lot of the American stuff is so macho and depressing.
I do love Catcher in the Rye. Kill a Mocking Bird. That style of stuff, and Little Women style

i think because my writing tends to be towards the child like is why i haven't really been enthralled by the difficult adult classical novels. it's not that i would have trouble reading them, of course i wouldn't, it's just that they don't call out to me like a alice in wonderland or wind in the willows.
Speaking of Alice in Wonderland, get hold of a copy of 'The Annotated Alice: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.' Excellent. I read it for either high school or teachers college.
Have you tried 'Swallows and Amazons'? Another good read.

Do you think Lewis Carroll was tripping?? A common theory. Lots of them were off their faces back then
Like brilliant Coleridge was a heroin addict

Do you think Lewis Carroll was tripping?? A common theory. Lots of them were off their faces back then
Like brilliant Coleridge was a heroin addict
No idea. Yes, I'd heard that theory. if he wasn't he certainly had an excellent imagination. I was transfixed by the movie Alice in Wonderland starring Fiona Fullerton in 1972.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back