Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

Oh and has anyone checked what his manner of speech means psychologically ???
The limited vocab, and the repeat thing he does always.....that is really weird, he speaks like a kid in primary school, bottom of the class kid.
Some articles re his speaking style...

Basically as his technique of plausible deniability by only half stating sentences and being deliberately vague.
with a marketing technique of programming words into the audiences mind - brainwashing basically.
Oh and an unhealthy dose of narcissism thrown in too!

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2016/08/31/the-psychology-of-donald-trump-how-he-speaks/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rumps-repetition-advertising-tactic/98014444/

Some articles re his speaking style...

Basically as his technique of plausible deniability by only half stating sentences and being deliberately vague.
with a marketing technique of programming words into the audiences mind - brainwashing basically.
Oh and an unhealthy dose of narcissism thrown in too!

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2016/08/31/the-psychology-of-donald-trump-how-he-speaks/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rumps-repetition-advertising-tactic/98014444/

Why does it matter if he doesn't speak well?

Psychology has fascinated you in every other context, why doesn't that rule apply when it comes to Trump?

The way someone speaks tells me nothing about them psychologically. I mean they may have many reasons for speaking the way they do. Like they might have a stammer, be not that interested in speaking, or any number of other reasons.

The way someone speaks tells me nothing about them psychologically. I mean they may have many reasons for speaking the way they do. Like they might have a stammer, be not that interested in speaking, or any number of other reasons.
did you even read the articles? I am talking about the words being said not how he says them.

did you even read the articles? I am talking about the words being said not how he says them.

Well with the words that he uses Trump is clearly using simple language as it easier to remember for the busy voters. Voters who don't have time or energy to look at all the policies and things like that because they are too busy working in the local coal factory. So Trump, being the kind person that he is, simplifies his language to make it easier for them to understand. That to me is a mark of a genius.

You don't think it a requirement for the leader of a nation to be able to communicate clearly?

Trump speaks clearly through his words. He doesn't need great booming oratory to reach the people and if he tried that he probably would have lost the election.

So you agree that communication is important for a President?

Yes, but what I think is good communication and what others think may be different. Because we are talking about two separate things here. The words used, which Trump is excellent at. And the way someone speaks when using these words. Like their diction, tone of voice, if their voice is high or low, if they are speaking too fast, if they are speaking too slow, if they are speaking from their mouth and not their diaphragm, if they swallow their words, if they trail off when speaking, and any other issues that may prevent them from being the best speaker they can be. Trump does have trouble with the second part of it. But that doesn't matter because the way he speaks connects with the working people of America.

The media are looking for anything to take down Trump. They are salivating at being the ones to break the next Watergate type story.

It's just odd because it's "this is bad, you should be out raged" but then just tell you what to think. Don't explain.

Watergate had evidence. Sources pointed investigative journalists in a direction to find evidence and build a case. These days people who lack the skill, intelligence, diligence and work ethic think they are the same as Woodward and Bernstein, but don't do the work, don't find the facts.

It's just odd because it's "this is bad, you should be out raged" but then just tell you what to think. Don't explain.

Watergate had evidence. Sources pointed investigative journalists in a direction to find evidence and build a case. These days people who lack the skill, intelligence, diligence and work ethic think they are the same as Woodward and Bernstein, but don't do the work, don't find the facts.
Everyone is clamouring to "break" the story and be the one to tell the world, so none of them wait long enough for there to be a story of substance to break. It all feels like hearsay and Chinese whispers the way it is reported at the moment.

The internet has opened up a world of sloppy amateur journalists all looking for the next big thing to take down Trump.

Yes, but what I think is good communication and what others think may be different. Because we are talking about two separate things here. The words used, which Trump is excellent at. And the way someone speaks when using these words. Like their diction, tone of voice, if their voice is high or low, if they are speaking too fast, if they are speaking too slow, if they are speaking from their mouth and not their diaphragm, if they swallow their words, if they trail off when speaking, and any other issues that may prevent them from being the best speaker they can be. Trump does have trouble with the second part of it. But that doesn't matter because the way he speaks connects with the working people of America.

Well, okay lets say Trump is very good at arousing emotion and giving a sense of connection through his use of words with "the working people of America" and that this is then good communication. What about the rest of the people for whom Trump arouses the opposite emotions and rather than connection, revulsion? People who would prefer to engage not at a purely emotional level, but also want to engage with a set of coherent and well considered policies? Are they catered to by Trump? Because they are the majority, and if a communication style is rejected by a majority, surely you have to say that it is more bad than good.

Well, okay lets say Trump is very good at arousing emotion and giving a sense of connection through his use of words with "the working people of America" and that this is then good communication. What about the rest of the people for whom Trump arouses the opposite emotions and rather than connection, revulsion? People who would prefer to engage not at a purely emotional level, but also want to engage with a set of coherent and well considered policies? Are they catered to by Trump? Because they are the majority, and if a communication style is rejected by a majority, surely you have to say that it is more bad than good.

Well of course Trump will be trying to look after the American people as best he can. Of course he's not perfect being only human. And there are some policies of his I do disagree with. However I feel his heart is in the right place in making America great again.

And I don't think communication style changes minds, it can however resonate with people who share your point of view. And enough people felt a connection with Trump to enable him to enter the White House.

The awesome Cher has some things to say about Trump.

“Since Trump was elected, I have to hide my telephone, because I’m so outraged. Twitter is like a drug. It creeps into your life, and you have to say, ‘Time to put a stop to this. I’m a grown-up.’” However, her commitment to mature silence never seems to last long, especially if Trump does something egregious.

“The president is cheating and getting away with it, and using the White House to make money, and he’s going to take health care away from people, and people are going die. It’s outrageous. You feel like you’re screaming ‘Fire!’ and no one’s listening."

“The Democrats fucked up so bad in their message, and how old [the leadership] is. You’ve got to pray that old people die before young people can get involved with the party. I told Hillary [Clinton] she should have a group of millennials give their ideas about government.”

Full interview http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/cover-story/7800189/cher-songs-age-twitter-trump-2017

She's right about the Democrats fucking up. But I'm not sure that Hilary should have listened to millennials as they are an age group that is very apathetic about voting. She should have listened to her husband Bill though instead of her poll driven advisers.

Back