Skip to main content

Twist: Ben, an actor?

You sure that's him? It's an article in Grafton, N.S.W. Could be another Ben Zabel. I find it hard to believe he would be a street performer!
No, not sure but wouldn't think it's quite as common as John Smith

Ben is an actor, but he plays a role at life. He is more clued onto what's going on. However he has adopted a way of emotionally and intellectually crippling himself to deal with life. A big part of this is how he acts. It's not a calculated thing, but he has a persona and way of being which is a defense mechanism. He plays a role so he can get buy, not have a job and people excuse him as being overly sensitive or as if something is wrong with him.

Ben is an actor, but he plays a role at life. He is more clued onto what's going on. However he has adopted a way of emotionally and intellectually crippling himself to deal with life. A big part of this is how he acts. It's not a calculated thing, but he has a persona and way of being which is a defense mechanism. He plays a role so he can get buy, not have a job and people excuse him as being overly sensitive or as if something is wrong with him.

Yes, I 100% agree with this. He's acting but he doesn't know how to behave any other way.

I really can't take the chats with Mum and Nan's photos seriously. He's totally doing a piece to camera. I hope they don't show him doing it again. But I know they will.

that's a generous interpretation. i'm inclined to believe it's an act by a method actor whose been crafting the persona for some time.

...on the other hand, perhaps my interpretation is more generous - afterall, he would at least get credit for consciously creating on the fly for weeks, whereas your interpretation basically points to a schizoid personality that's exhibiting a break as a coping mechanism ;)

that's a generous interpretation. i'm inclined to believe it's an act by a method actor whose been crafting the persona for some time.

...on the other hand, perhaps my interpretation is more generous - afterall, he would at least get credit for consciously creating on the fly for weeks, whereas your interpretation basically points to a schizoid personality that's exhibiting a break as a coping mechanism ;)

I was convinced that Travis (08) was an actor. So I am reticent to predict Ben's authenticity.

I'm leaning towards what you think but personally, I would classify what Ben is doing as more of performance art, rather than acting. That's why he doesn't have an acting resume etc. I think Ben has really crafted a unique personality and I think he does actually stay in character in much of his life so the lines of where it's natural and where it's contrived are very blurred. He is much too plugged in and confident in his "performances" inside the house. He has no problem with some of the very extroverted tasks that have been assigned to him. I think performance artist would also tie in to the one public blurb found above where he was listed as a "street performer".

I'm leaning towards what you think but personally, I would classify what Ben is doing as more of performance art, rather than acting. That's why he doesn't have an acting resume etc. I think Ben has really crafted a unique personality and I think he does actually stay in character in much of his life so the lines of where it's natural and where it's contrived are very blurred. He is much too plugged in and confident in his "performances" inside the house. He has no problem with some of the very extroverted tasks that have been assigned to him. I think performance artist would also tie in to the one public blurb found above where he was listed as a "street performer".

It is very hard for me to reconcile the concept of Ben being a street performer with his constant professions of lacking self-confidence not liking being judged. Likewise, I find it hard to believe someone so lacking in self-confidence would apply for, let alone be selected for, BB. Something a little fishy to me.

HAH How great would it be if Ben is 'fake evicted' and then we learn he is indeed an actor?! hahaha

HAH How great would it be if Ben is 'fake evicted' and then we learn he is indeed an actor?! hahaha

Yes and suddenly he acts like 'himself' and he is quite a different person .....we see him being the real Ben hanging in the 'waiting room' watching action movies drinking beer, farting, picking his nose, never once talking to mum and nan, voice pitch is lowered, cooling these kick arse meals in a kitchen including meat .....and then 3 days later he goes back in the house and is back to being the Ben we have seen so far.

I know it's a far fetched idea but its funny

He may not be a film actor but I doubt there's many with the same name as this street performer http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/02/11/3687704.htm

I never heard about this story about Ben being a street performer until last year's winner Ben tweeted a reference to him being one. However I found another article:

http://www.echo.net.au/2013/01/glenugie-six-released-on-bail/

that refers to the man arrested as "well-known Nimbin activist Bennie Zable, 68.". Obviously not the Ben on BB.

Here's the webpage of the street performer Benny Zable: http://www.nimbinaustralia.com/bennyzable/benny-zable-story.html

Last edited:
I don't know if Ben is an actor, but as a flight attendant he would know (& have been trained) how to put on a certain persona. I think he's just hamming-up his innate patheticness (is that a word?), naivete, incompetence, etc. for the audience, who for some reason go "awww-poor Benny". He's not "cute" to me - can't stand him.

I never heard about this story about Ben being a street performer until last year's winner Ben tweeted a reference to him being one. However I found another article:

http://www.echo.net.au/2013/01/glenugie-six-released-on-bail/

that refers to the man arrested as "well-known Nimbin activist Bennie Zable, 68.". Obviously not the Ben on BB.

Here's the webpage of the street performer Benny Zable: http://www.nimbinaustralia.com/bennyzable/benny-zable-story.html

Great find! That puts the street performer bit to bed.

I agree with peeps on another thread that said he's playing his granma or something. He's not trained but can easily adopt a character he knows so well.

Def. very cluey, competitive and the one Tim has to beat.

Is the theory that he is an actor working for himself to win BB?

Or an actor employed by BB for entertainment value?

He's not trained but can easily adopt a character he knows so well.
The way he impersonated the nominated housemate voices was just SPOT ON (in the eviction show). The accent, the twang...he was so good.

He has talent and I believe he can act/put on characters, but I'm sure he is HIMSELF in the house. Nobody can pull being someone else for 3 consecutive months.

He seems fake and like an actor to me. He just doesn't seem like a real person. I would not be surprised if he suddenly changed personalities after the show or something and revealed he was acting.

The fact that he could be acting doesn't make my blood boil. I say good on him for going in there and trying to pull off something as audacious as this to win a possible life changing amount of money. He has my respect for that. Don't really get the hate unless he's in actuality a real arsehole like Ben 2012. That would send me into uncontrollable fits of rage.

What is making my blood boil though it's Nine's constant promotion of him at the expense what's happening with the other inmates. Don't know if Nine producer's are in cahoots with this guy or just going along for the ride but it's annoying having his childish antics constantly shoved in our faces for the mere sake of attracting kids and their families.

Even if he is acting, I'd still vote for him. It's not possible to act every minute every second of the day and what I do get to see is enough for me to adore him!

Back