Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

In that case, all is well. It's all coming down to scare tactics and confusion.
Yeah, I think the bigger danger is - in the event of a Yes vote - what the actual legislation will be. The last bill went to a Senate Select Committee and was full of exemptions, not just for religious reasons but for "conscientious belief", which would basically introduce new, legalised discrimination against LGBTI people. The Committee, of course, called them out on all these issues.

So basically I suspect they will put forward another unpalatable bill to further delay its introduction as long as possible.

This being different to the Republic referendum, where they put the unpalatable question to the public. They can't get away with that this time but I bet they'll do whatever they can to delay it.

Yeah, I think the bigger danger is - in the event of a Yes vote - what the actual legislation will be. The last bill went to a Senate Select Committee and was full of exemptions, not just for religious reasons but for "conscientious belief", which would basically introduce new, legalised discrimination against LGBTI people. The Committee, of course, called them out on all these issues.

So basically I suspect they will put forward another unpalatable bill to further delay its introduction as long as possible.

This being different to the Republic referendum, where they put the unpalatable question to the public. They can't get away with that this time but I bet they'll do whatever they can to delay it.
I was thinking about the Republic referendum when I read the article. Mind you, the article didn't state the question as you had it. It was saying along the lines of should the marriage act of 1961 be changed. Subtle wording that would catch out a lot of people if you misread it.

I agree, it's not going to be a smooth passage for anyone and is going to be dragged out for some time. Historically, referendums and plebiscites don't have a good pass rate. We've had 44 referendums since 1901 and only 8 have been passed. Of the 3 plebiscites we've had, 2 were defeated.

Just pass it for goodness sake I say. Many of us are over it and just want people to be happy and live life without discrimination.

It should have been passed ages ago. turnbull should have done the right thing and not been so cowardly in the face of abbott and his conservative loons. I hope the no vote gets crushed.

I was thinking about the Republic referendum when I read the article. Mind you, the article didn't state the question as you had it. It was saying along the lines of should the marriage act of 1961 be changed. Subtle wording that would catch out a lot of people if you misread it.

I agree, it's not going to be a smooth passage for anyone and is going to be dragged out for some time. Historically, referendums and plebiscites don't have a good pass rate. We've had 44 referendums since 1901 and only 8 have been passed. Of the 3 plebiscites we've had, 2 were defeated.

Just pass it for goodness sake I say. Many of us are over it and just want people to be happy and live life without discrimination.

I remember the republican referendum. turnbull was on the yes side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_republic_referendum,_1999#Republic_question

quite a complicated two questions.

I think you may be right there. Brandis apparently said there will lots of protections for "religious freedoms" in any legislation. Given the this whole charade is being orchestrated by those against SSM, I wouldn't put it past them to put up something so nasty it won't pass through he parliament.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-30/challenges-to-same-sex-marriage-postal-survey/8841210

I wonder what the high court will have to say about this challenge. And if they do rule against the government what will turnbull's next move be?
Ironically it's probably the best scenario for the government if the Court shuts down the postal survey. They can say they did everything they could to have the plebiscite they promised, and push the whole issue off the table for the rest of their term with a clear conscience. And save what's left of the $122m. Then Labor can introduce new legislation in their first 100 days after the next election.

OMG that add - that has NOTHING TO DO WITH MARRIAGE EQUALITY

Pricks trying to confuse morons, and politicking about the safe schools program - no relevance

And - they are using bogan feral morons idiotic crap, made up utter rubbish - that bitch who whines about dress codes is from feral FRANKSTONE .

Honestly, Frankston is vile.......with the most ignorant voters of anywhere....I have worked elections there, with junkies off their faces, asking oh wonder how to vote.....
My response - on welfare?
Of course
Well best you inform yourself of the rich party and the more welfare pleasant parties:)

Ironically it's probably the best scenario for the government if the Court shuts down the postal survey. They can say they did everything they could to have the plebiscite they promised, and push the whole issue off the table for the rest of their term with a clear conscience. And save what's left of the $122m. Then Labor can introduce new legislation in their first 100 days after the next election.
Not outside the realms of possibility.

OMG that add - that has NOTHING TO DO WITH MARRIAGE EQUALITY

Pricks trying to confuse morons, and politicking about the safe schools program - no relevance
They don't care. Look how successful it's been for them, so much media coverage... all that free promotion. Ugh.

The whole thing is starting to crush me. I am so tired of it all. I have been tweeting and promoting ME on FB all year. And now all the shitty hate posters and ads and lies are being inflicted on us. I remember when I was a teen in NZ, and homosexuality got decriminalised. I watched it on TV on the late news in my room. I was so relieved, but had nobody I could tell or celebrate with. So I think about all the young LGBTI people who are in that position at the moment, seeing all this bullshit unfold. It's truly horrible.

Constitutional expert predicts High Court bust for Turnbull government

Professor Williams also said he expected the same-sex marriage postal survey to be struck down. The government has bypassed Parliament using a special fund reserved for "urgent and unforeseen" matters, but given MPs have spoken publicly about the issue for so long, that would be a "tough ask" to justify in court, Professor Williams said.

"It has the appearance of a round peg in a square hole," he said. "What about this survey is urgent, except for the fact that it is necessary because of the government's own political imperatives?"

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-for-turnbull-government-20170830-gy71dl.html

Oh dear @timmydownawell ....please get angry rather than sad

I have 2 gay sisters, and I am pissed
And things will change - hell when I was 14 I had to explain to my Mum what a homosexual is.....and she found it all too much for a bit
But she changed, totally

i'm more confused and sad about why anyone would have so much hatred in their hearts that they would help to deny someone a chance at happiness and love.

Reactions: kxk
I am absolutely sickened to see that there is a VOTE NO campaign on television. Isn't it enough for these bigoted (expletive deleted but I can think of no other word) to keep quiet in the knowledge that it probably won't ever happen anyway? But no, they have to actively promote and ENCOURAGE intolerance and absolute cold-hearted mind-fuckery.

As Timmy expressed, for those of us who already deal with this every day and finally saw a straw of hope to grasp at that our country would regard us as NORMAL, it's absolutely crushing.

Will they ban that add?

Surely they have to - you are not allowed to mislead or lie, make claims that are not true with any other product?

I actually haven't seen it. From what I am reading, I am glad I haven't either.

Report & ban em, we really do not need that kind on the forum. I mean it @Affable, find the post and report them

I would if they did it on the forum. I heard from someone that knows them personally that they posted their opposition on social media.

Reactions: kxk
Back