Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

I received that text. Ignored it. Who else received it?

Yeah I did. I assumed they had my number already but I guess it was just sent to everyone.

I know! It seemed like the closet no voters to me - one 'friend' commented on another friends post about it saying they care more about getting an "annoying" message, than the outcome of the vote. Dickhead

People can be a bit precious about their mobile number and people getting a hold of it but mobiles are the new landline so no surprise we're going to see more robocalls and spam texts.

I know I get sick of tele-marketers and scammers esp as my all our phone numbers are on the do not call register so I can understand being annoyed by being spammed, regardless of the the message. Especially if you don't realise how wide spread the spamming is, because you want to know who has been selling your details to spammers. By the time I saw it on my work phone I had seen the news articles about it.

I know I get sick of tele-marketers and scammers esp as my all our phone numbers are on the do not call register so I can understand being annoyed by being spammed, regardless of the the message. Especially if you don't realise how wide spread the spamming is, because you want to know who has been selling your details to spammers. By the time I saw it on my work phone I had seen the news articles about it.

I just assumed it was because I had signed up to the Yes cause on various medias over the last 10 or so years. I guess if I go a message from the No camp, I would have just replied "No" or "unsubscribe" and left it at that. I wouldn't be ranting on SM

I just assumed it was because I had signed up to the Yes cause on various medias over the last 10 or so years. I guess if I go a message from the No camp, I would have just replied "No" or "unsubscribe" and left it at that. I wouldn't be ranting on SM
As we can't vote we haven't signed up for anything officially and we (hubbie and I) still got texts so it is totally random I think.

tbh I think everyone, both Yes and No, has had a gutsful of it now. That's really the problem.
I agree! It really has made this far more of an issue and talking point than it ever needed to be. Just make it law and let everyone continue on with life, with the difference being that some people that could not marry would be able to.

I agree! It really has made this far more of an issue and talking point than it ever needed to be. Just make it law and let everyone continue on with life, with the difference being that some people that could not marry would be able to.

Agreed. dragging it on for far too long.

Agreed. dragging it on for far too long.
I really think it'll calm down after the end of this week as almost everyone should have received and returned their forms by then. Anyone who hasn't sent theirs in probably couldn't be bothered and will have binned it. Advertising and sky writing and texting and door knocking will be a waste of time, even though the deadline for getting forms back is the end of October. I am waiting for a form with a code so I can do mine online, but if I don't get one I can get a code and do it online regardless.

I really think it'll calm down after the end of this week as almost everyone should have received and returned their forms by then. Anyone who hasn't sent theirs in probably couldn't be bothered and will have binned it. Advertising and sky writing and texting and door knocking will be a waste of time, even though the deadline for getting forms back is the end of October. I am waiting for a form with a code so I can do mine online, but if I don't get one I can get a code and do it online regardless.

Today on radio they said support for SSM had fallen from 63% to 57% and that only 15% of forms have been returned.

Today on radio they said support for SSM had fallen from 63% to 57% and that only 15% of forms have been returned.
Probably only half of them have arrived and most not posted back yet. This will have changed by the end of the week.

A 15% return rate is a joke. But makes me kinda happy as neither side could claim any legitimacy which would be great for a no outcome. :p

I received that text. Ignored it. Who else received it?

any kind of spam sms, especially those sent to unlisted / silent numbers and/or do not provide for an "unsubscribe" should be reported to the ACMA Spam SMS number of 0429 999 888

For more info see: https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/spam-report-spam

Report SMS spam

Spam SMS—0429 999 888
When you receive a spam SMS message, you can now forward it to the dedicated telephone number 0429 999 888 to report it directly to the ACMA. You will be billed the standard rate for sending SMS messages by your mobile phone provider. Your report will be recorded in the ACMA's database and used to monitor SMS spam activity.

regarDS

The main problem I have with the sms is that I actually don't know if it helped its cause. It might not have been offensive but I think the majority of people actually fall into the catargory of "not my business could not give a shit, as long as I dont have to get gay married". A survey arrives it can sit there and be ignored or tossed out. But when an sms lands in thier phone, it is more confronting for them as it is a little harder to ignore. Definite Yes people didn't need it, they already were going to say yes anyway. And no people were never going to be swayed by an sms.

The main problem I have with the sms is that I actually don't know if it helped its cause
To be honest, I thought it might have been better if it had left out the Vote Yes bit. But I suppose it was there in the link. Yes voters are in the majority and have been for over 10 years, but the biggest problem for the Yes campaign is getting people to return their forms. So, if they hadn't said to vote yes, it probably would have still helped their cause overall.

Back