Skip to main content

SURVIVOR STUFF - INFO, Q&A, CHAT,ETCs

kxk

SAPIOSEXUAL
As half the posters viewing & happily chatting in our Aussie Survivor threads, are not familiar with decades of USA Survivor, ie the latest series is no. 33, first screened 2000, Swedish test prototype 1997, see below.

So anyway, here is a place to discuss Survivor in general, and post info for our Survivor virgins, and some big fans I'm sure will respond to questions, including myself when I can - but I am not what you can call a big fanatic fan, just a fan.
I do not watch every single series, and I do not know a whole lot of those answers that the fanatics can help with.

@Mr Stickyfingers and other enthusiastic new fans, ask away, and I will start things off with as many good info sources as I have.
Survivor fans please post anything you want, can, answer queries. Tell us about your favourite stuff, contestants, series, links and whatever.

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_(U.S._TV_series)
(warning - don't go to this page if you want to watch old series without knowing who wins)
Concept
The original idea of Survivor was developed by Charlie Parsons in 1994 under the name Castaway. Parsons formed Planet24 with Bob Geldof to produce the show and tried to have the BBC broadcast it, but the network turned it down. Parsons went to Swedish television and was able to find a broadcaster, ultimately producing Expedition Robinson in 1997. The show was a success, and plans for international versions were made.[20]

Mark Burnett intended to be the person to bring the show to the United States, though he recognized that the Swedish version was a bit crude and mean-spirited. Burnett retooled the concept to use better production values, based on his prior Eco-Challenge show, and wanted to focus more on the human drama experienced while under pressure. Burnett spent about a year trying to find a broadcaster that would take the show, retooling the concept based on feedback. On November 24, 1999, Burnett made his pitch to Les Moonves of CBS, and Moonves agreed to pick up the show.[20] The first season, Survivor: Borneo was filmed during March and April 2000, and was first broadcast on May 30, 2000. The first season became a ratings success, leading to its current ongoing run.[20]

Locations
The American version of Survivor has been shot in many locations around the world since the first season, usually favoring warm and tropical climates. Though locations varied across the globe in the first dozen seasons, more recent seasons have used the same general location for back-to-back filming of two cycles (for example, the use of Samoa for filming of seasons 19, 20).

Continent/Region Locations (season number)
Africa Kenya (3), Gabon (17)
Asia Malaysia (1), Thailand (5), China (15), Philippines (25, 26, 27, 28), Cambodia (31, 32)
Oceania Australia (2), French Polynesia (4), Vanuatu (9), Palau (10, 16), Cook Islands (13), Fiji (14, 33, 34), Samoa (19, 20, 23, 24)
Central America Panama (7, 8, 12), Guatemala (11), Nicaragua (21, 22, 29, 30)
South America Brazil (6, 18)

FORUM
Fanatics & casual fans chat, and they are chatting about our version.
Some major analysis of editing and other cool stuff, spoilers - with warnings, and links to past contestants etc.

SURVIVOR SUCKS
http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/directory#.V_oRU_l97IU

USA SURVIVOR TV HOME
http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/
paul_survivor_33.jpg

Geo blocked of course
https://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivorOnCBS

YOUTUBE
You can do a search and watch most of the old series somewhere on the net.
Youtube has lots of interesting compilations, highlights, interviews etc.

This links to series 2, Outback Australia, intro

PODCAST
http://robhasawebsite.com/

Quality submission. I will later blame you for being a catalyst in my reality tv obsession. Soon to be survivor junky/philosopher.

Reactions: kxk
...hey great post kxk... I've just finished reading some of the threads on that 'Survivor Sucks' website : http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/directory#.V_oRU_l97IU ... they really do like our version of it don't they?... it's great to read those comments... and it basically started off in Sweden of all places?... wow!... I would never had thought that... they should do one in Antarctica... that would sort out the wimps pretty quickly eh?... lol!... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
they should do one in Antarctica... that would sort out the wimps pretty quickly eh?
The Channel Nine version of Australian Survivor had miserable people huddled together in a desolate, wet, inhospitable landscape, if that's what you want? (South Australia) It was horrible.

There's a reason they keep to tropical climes.

That aussie one was atrocious, in a useless loccation, it was laughable I only watched bits, just remember a girl at the end saying she could only win if she killed the others.
Outback Australia was a better, but still a strange choice, are our islands all too nice?

They are such enthusiasts on that forum, @Mr Stickyfingers, how they analyse editing and the game and everything is fascinating.
So it is quite flattering how much they have enjoyed ours.

They have past contestants chat and post too.

I think it is hilarious bob Geldof is rich because of survivor, having a minimal original input, and otherwise he might be homeless.

That aussie one was atrocious, in a useless loccation, it was laughable I only watched bits, just remember a girl at the end saying she could only win if she killed the others.
I remember at the end where it got down to final 4, and one of the women - Katie? Sciona? - had a total meltdown when she realised she was done. That whole season was a train wreck. Ten's production for all its faults has nothing compared to Nine's complete and utter abomination.

Outback Australia was a better, but still a strange choice, are our islands all too nice?

I think it is hilarious bob Geldof is rich because of survivor, having a minimal original input, and otherwise he might be homeless.
Actually I should touch on these points as well. I agree the AU Outback location seemed a strange choice but they must have thought 'let's do it somewhere completely different from the first season' - and apart from one in China and two(?) in Africa they have since stuck to tropical islands/beaches.

LOL about what you said about Bob Geldof... probably quite true tbh :D

Back