Skip to main content

Space... the final frontier...

...this back flipping robot has made recent headlines as of late and I thought that I'd post the video of it and the article accompanying it because as in the last video... I can see these robots walking on Mars etc alongside Astronauts and helping them to do experiments etc (or have I seen too many Sci-Fi movies perhaps?) lol!... anyhow... watching the early robots falling over is quite humorous but as you see in one of the clips they can now pick themselves up showing us just how advanced they are now... I find it all to be simply amazing... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/11/17/16671328/boston-dynamics-backflip-robot-atlas

One small backflip for a robot is one giant leaping backflip for humankind

by Paul Miller@futurepaul Nov 17, 2017, 5:16pm EST

Something that often bothers me about sci-fi is the loner inventor trope. A guy in a garage builds a robot, or AI, or frequently both that are somehow decades beyond the technology of his day, and all the wild implications of his vast technological leap are the fuel for the next two and a half hours of popcorn entertainment.

But the latest video from Boston Dynamics is the closest equivalent I've ever witnessed IRL. Sure, it’s the achievement of an entire company, and they’re doing it on YouTube for everyone to see, not in a basement. But a backflip?

It’s hard to even appreciate how hard this is for robots to do, because it’s hard to appreciate how difficult walking still is for humanoids. I wrote a whole piece about the problem of building walking robots back in 2011 — it wasn’t pretty back then, and it’s still a challenge for most full-sized humanoids.

A backflip though?

It's a barely-believable jump forward for the state of the art. It's astonishing. It's a moon landing, basically, except instead of all of the people of Earth gathering around tube televisions to witness it, it just popped up on our social feeds yesterday afternoon without warning.

Let's get a bit of historical context. Eleven years ago we were laughing as Honda's Asimo robot fell off a set of stairs.

In 2015, here's how far we'd come:

Yeah, we were challenging humanoid robots with much more complicated, dynamic, and demanding tasks than a staged ascent of a perfectly level set of shallow steps. But if you asked me, "How long until these robots are doing backflips?" in 2015, after a weekend of watching DARPA pratfalls, I would've frowned and said something like, "Ugh."

Would we have to develop some new form of organic mechanisms, more akin to the human body, to get the power / weight ratio just right? Would we have to rebuild software engineering from scratch to combine realtime responsiveness with machine learning complexity? Would we end up in some economic recession or war that would require the companies and institutions investing in humanoid robotics to stop wasting money and just ship something boring and useful?

I guess I could have said, "Maybe a decade. We have to figure out jumping first, and also running and walking." But "a decade" in the technology world means, "I literally have no idea."

And I guess I would've been right about one thing: I had no idea.

In 2016, not too long after the DARPA challenge, where many of the robots in the competition were based on Boston Dynamics' best-in-class Atlas humanoid, Boston Dynamics hit us with a new YouTube video: "Atlas, The Next Generation." The video showcased a much lighter and more agile version of the robot opening a door, walking through snow, picking up boxes, and getting hit with a hockey stick for no reason. It was a big improvement over the previous generation.

"When will it do backflips, Paul?"

"Um, a decade?"

Earlier this year, Boston Dynamics introduced an all-new robot called Handle with a four foot vertical jump. But it was a wheeled robot, and while impressive, wheels are vastly simpler than biped locomotion. What Handle proved is that Boston Dynamics could blast enough power through its hydraulics to generate the necessary force for lift-off. So all we needed was a few years of software improvements to get the balancing algorithm just right, and we could finally have jumping robots.

But yesterday, Atlas jumped on video. It leaped from box to box like a gazelle. It did a 180. And it did a backflip.

A humanoid strong enough to jump like that is capable of any "typical" human locomotion. Stairs, curbs, uneven ground, accidental jostling, sitting down, standing up, getting in and out of cars, subway lurches... all moves which are frequently performed by humans who can't land a backflip, and who get mad if you shove them with a hockey stick.

A backflip is a marvel of mechanical engineering and software control. It's a statement of power and poise. It's bonkers.

I'm certain there's still much more to do on the software side. Performing powerful jumps in a controlled, measured environment is easier than doing dynamic, improvisational parkour. And then humanoids still have to be taught how to do something useful with their newfound physical capabilities. Also, other companies will have to catch up with Boston Dynamics — just because this is possible it doesn’t mean it’s easy. We’re still a ways away from having backflipping robots as next door neighbors.

But I think we're in a new robotic age now. There was a time before Atlas could do backflips, back when robots were for factories, bomb disposal, vacuuming, and the occasional gimmick, and none of the useful ones were humanoids. Now we're living in an era where humanoid robots are apparently as agile as we are. So what will they be used for? It’s time to get out the popcorn.

...I just love this article... I also love the idea that our Earth 'breathes' as is explained in the video... nature just fascinates me so much... it wouldn't let me post the whole article so to read all of it go to this NASA website below... cheers.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/the-changing-colors-of-our-living-planet

Nov. 14, 2017
The Changing Colors of our Living Planet

Life. It's the one thing that, so far, makes Earth unique among the thousands of other planets we've discovered. Since the fall of 1997, NASA satellites have continuously and globally observed all plant life at the surface of the land and ocean. During the week of Nov. 13-17, NASA is sharing stories and videos about how this view of life from space is furthering knowledge of our home planet and the search for life on other worlds.

NASA satellites can see our living Earth breathe.

In the Northern Hemisphere, ecosystems wake up in the spring, taking in carbon dioxide and exhaling oxygen as they sprout leaves — and a fleet of Earth-observing satellites tracks the spread of the newly green vegetation.

Meanwhile, in the oceans, microscopic plants drift through the sunlit surface waters and bloom into billions of carbon dioxide-absorbing organisms — and light-detecting instruments on satellites map the swirls of their color.

This fall marks 20 years since NASA has continuously observed not just the physical properties of our planet, but the one thing that makes Earth unique among the thousands of other worlds we’ve discovered: Life.

Satellites measured land and ocean life from space as early as the 1970s. But it wasn't until the launch of the Sea-viewing Wide Field-of-view Sensor (SeaWiFS) in 1997 that the space agency began what is now a continuous, global view of both land and ocean life. A new animation captures the entirety of this 20-year record, made possible by multiple satellites, compressing a decades-long view of life on Earth into a captivating few minutes.

“These are incredibly evocative visualizations of our living planet,” said Gene Carl Feldman, an oceanographer at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. “That’s the Earth, that is it breathing every single day, changing with the seasons, responding to the Sun, to the changing winds, ocean currents and temperatures."

Since the fall of 1997, NASA satellites have continuously and globally observed all plant life at the surface of the land and ocean. Twenty years of satellite data has helped scientists track phytoplankton populations in the ocean, study changing vegetation in the Arctic reaches of North America, monitor crop yields and more.
Credits: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

Download this video in HD formats from NASA Goddard's Scientific Visualization Studio
The space-based view of life allows scientists to monitor crop, forest and fisheries health around the globe. But the space agency's scientists have also discovered long-term changes across continents and ocean basins. As NASA begins its third decade of global ocean and land measurements, these discoveries point to important questions about how ecosystems will respond to a changing climate and broad-scale changes in human interaction with the land.

Satellites have measured the Arctic getting greener, as shrubs expand their range and thrive in warmer temperatures. Observations from space help determine agricultural production globally, and are used in famine early warning detection. As ocean waters warm, satellites have detected a shift in phytoplankton populations across the planet's five great ocean basins — the expansion of "biological deserts" where little life thrives. And as concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere continue to rise and warm the climate, NASA's global understanding of plant life will play a critical role in monitoring carbon as it moves through the Earth system.

Life on Earth, from space

The SeaWiFS satellite was launched in late 1997, just in time to capture the phytoplankton that bloomed in the Eastern Equatorial Pacific as conditions changed from El Niño to La Niña, seen here in yellow. Credits: NASA

Vegetation in North America wakes up in the spring, captured here as a change from pale green to dark green as photosynthesis ramps up with the season. White areas are covered in snow. Credits: NASA

Sixty years ago, people were not sure that Earth’s surface could be seen clearly from space. Many thought that the dust particles and other aerosols in the atmosphere would scatter the light, masking the oceans and continents, said Jeffrey Masek, chief of the Biospheric Sciences Laboratory at NASA Goddard.

The Gemini and Apollo programs demonstrated otherwise. Astronauts used specialized cameras to take pictures of Earth that show the beauty and complexity of our living planet, and helped kickstart the era of Earth science research from space. In 1972, the first Landsat mission began its 45-year record of vegetation and land cover.

“As the satellite archive expands, you see more and more dynamics emerging,” Masek said. “We’re now able to look at long-term trends.”

The grasslands of Senegal, for example, undergo drastic seasonal changes. Grasses and shrubs flourish during the rainy season from June to November, then dry up when the rain stops. With early weather satellite data in the 1970s and '80s, NASA Goddard scientist Compton Tucker was able to see that greening and die-back from space, measuring the chlorophyll in the plants below. He developed a way of comparing satellite data from two wavelengths, which gives a quantitative measurement of this greenness called the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index.

“We were astounded when we saw the first images. They were amazing because they showed how vegetation changed annually, year after year,” Tucker said, noting that others were surprised as well when the study came out in 1985. “When we produced this paper, people accused us of ‘painting by numbers,’ or fudging data. But for the first time, you could study vegetation from space based on their photosynthetic capacity.”

When the temperature is right, and water and sunlight are available, plants photosynthesize and produce vegetative material. Leaves strongly absorb blue and red light but reflect near-infrared light back into space. By comparing the ratio of red to near-infrared light, Tucker and his colleagues could quantify the vegetation covering the land.

Expanding these observations to the rest of the globe, the scientists could track the impact on plants of rainy and dry seasons elsewhere in Africa, see the springtime blooms in North America, and the after-effects of wildfires in forests worldwide.

But land is only part of the story. At the base of the ocean’s food web are phytoplankton — tiny organisms that, like land plants, turn water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen, aided by the right combination of nutrients and sunlight.

Satellites that can monitor the subtle changes in color of the ocean have helped scientists track changes in phytoplankton populations across the globe. The first view of ocean color came from the Coastal Zone Color Scanner, a proof-of concept instrument launched in 1979. Continuous observations of ocean color began with the launch of SeaWIFS in late 1997. The satellite was just in time to capture the transition from El Niño to La Niña conditions in 1998 — revealing just how quickly and dramatically phytoplankton respond to changing ocean conditions.

“The entire Eastern Pacific, from the coast of South America all the way to the dateline, transitioned from what was the equivalent of a biological desert to a thriving rainforest. And we watched it happen in real time,” Feldman said. “For me, that was the first demonstration of the power of this kind of observation, to see how the ocean responds to one of the most significant environmental perturbations it could experience, over the course of just a few weeks. It also showed that the ocean and all the life within it is amazingly resilient — if given half a chance.”

...I just love obscure and silly but interesting articles with all things to do with Space... even with the evolution of wheels to do with Moon vehicles or Mars vehicles... (perhaps I'm a tad bit strange or something and that I need to get myself a life maybe?) lol!... do you remember the Lunar Rover vehicle with it's unique tyres that was on it?...

2017-11-21_13-45-25.jpg

...well things have come a long way since then including a mesh tyre that 'remembers' it's shape believe it or not?... it's called 'shape memory alloys'... the article is way too big for me to put up here but if you are actually interested in it go to this NASA website below...

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/wheels/

...they are even experimenting with the tyres for use on vehicles on Earth... just imagine... never again would you get a flat tyre lol!...

SMA_Tire_00001.jpg

...and here is a video of it in motion...

...as I said... if you go to the link that I provided there is a whole lot more on the subect... cheers.

...and... back to the 'Flat Earthers' once again (see previous page)... here is one of the dickheads that has built a home made rocket to propel himself into the sky so as to take a snapshot of the flat Earth... yup!... he is going to die for sure this Saturday when he crashes and becomes totally flat (like his beloved Flat Earth) when he splatters in to the ground I'm predicting... as they say... "some mothers do 'ave em" don't they?... I've even provided you all with his YouTube channel at the very bottom of the article so that you can watch this hysterical... oopsies!... I mean... 'historical' event for yourselves 'Live' of his impending doom... it could get to be a tad bit messy methinks!... lol!... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.livescience.com/61006-flat-earther-homemade-steam-rocket-launch.html

Flat-Earther to Launch Himself in Homemade Steam Rocket Saturday
By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer | November 22, 2017 09:18am ET

800.jpeg

Well, this should liven up everyone's Thanksgiving weekend.

A flat-Earth enthusiast who claims not to believe in science plans to launch himself 1,800 feet (550 meters) above California's Mojave Desert in a homemade steam rocket on Saturday (Nov. 25), the Associated Press reported.

The daredevil, 61-year-old limo driver "Mad" Mike Hughes, built the rocket and its launch ramp himself for about $20,000, according to the AP. If all goes according to plan, the contraption will accelerate to a top speed of 500 mph (800 km/h) and travel about 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) away from the launch site, a ghost town called Amboy. (Hughes will make a parachute-aided touchdown.)

Hughes buys into the flat-Earth conspiracy theory, according to the AP; indeed, the rocket's chief sponsor is a group called Research Flat Earth. Saturday's liftoff won't get Hughes nearly high enough to gather any photographic evidence about our planet's shape — which is an oblate spheroid, by the way — but such a mission may be in Mad Mike's future.

He and a collaborator have discussed building a "rockoon" — a rocket that launches after being carried aloft by a balloon — that could get up to an altitude of 68 miles (109 km), the AP reported.

rocket.png

Hughes' refusal to accept the truth about Earth's shape might make you skeptical about Saturday's launch, and about the future rockoon project. If so, his own words probably won't do much to bring you around.

"I don’t believe in science," Hughes said, according to the AP. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction."

The entire story is definitely worth your time. You can read it here.

https://apnews.com/9d8e5e8e9245412a...ket-scientist-plans-to-launch-over-ghost-town

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYgenzrFlTs9hxidUJ_QrQ

...oh dear... it looks like just finding another Earth-like planet for us to live on and eventually destroy like this one isn't that easy to find afterall... apart from the immense distances involved in getting there in the first place... there is also the matter of finding the exact environmental ingredients to be able to keep us alive too apparently... (just a little suggestion from me folks... how about we just look after this Planet a little tad better in the first place eh?)... lol!... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.nature.com/news/exoplanet-hunters-rethink-search-for-alien-life-1.23023

Exoplanet hunters rethink search for alien life
Astronomers expand ideas of how chemistry and geology could affect chances for life on other worlds.

2017_23NovNEWS_PlanetaryHabitability_800LEDE_NEW.jpg

M. Kornmesser/ESO
The exoplanet Ross 128b orbits a cool dwarf star at a distance that could allow the world to have liquid water.

Steve Desch can see the future of exoplanet research, and it’s not pretty. Imagine, he says, that astronomers use NASA’s upcoming James Webb Space Telescope to scour the atmosphere of an Earth-mass world for signs of life. Then imagine that they chase hints of atmospheric oxygen for years — before realizing that those were false positives produced by geological activity instead of living things.

Desch, an astrophysicist at Arizona State University in Tempe, and other planet hunters met from 13-17 November in Laramie, Wyoming, to plot better ways to scout for life beyond Earth. Many are starting to argue that the standard definition of habitability — having liquid water on a planet’s surface — is not the factor that should guide exoplanet exploration. Instead, the scientists say, the field should focus on the chances of detecting alien life, should it exist.

“Planets can be habitable and not have life with any impact,” Desch told researchers at the meeting.

It turns out that water worlds may be some of the worst places to look for living things. One study presented at the meeting shows how a planet covered in oceans could be starved of phosphorus, a nutrient without which earthly life cannot thrive. Other work concludes that a planet swamped in even deeper water would be geologically dead, lacking any of the planetary processes that nurture life on Earth.

“Habitability is not only about finding the signature of an alien life form taking a deep breath,” says Elizabeth Tasker, an astronomer and exoplanet researcher at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency's Institute for Space and Aeronautical Sciences in Sagamihara. It’s also about how a planet’s geology and chemistry interconnect to create a welcoming or hostile environment, she says — complicating the search for extraterrestrial life.

Surf and turf
Astronomers have catalogued thousands of exoplanets, of which more than a dozen are potentially habitable. The most recent, announced on 15 November, is Ross 128b, which is 3.4 parsecs (11 light years) away from Earth. It resembles the target that scientists have spent decades hunting: an Earth-sized planet orbiting a nearby star, probably at the right distance to allow liquid water.

Most of these planets have some qualities that stop them from being true Earth twins. Ross 128b orbits a cool dwarf star rather than a Sun-like host, for instance. But Tasker says the usual metrics that scientists use to rank how habitable a world is, such as its location relative to its star or how closely it resembles Earth, are misguided1.

To figure out how to parcel out valuable observing time, some scientists suggest targeting planets that, like Earth, are thought to have a mix of ocean and land. That's because worlds with nothing but water on their surfaces may not have key nutrients available in forms that can support life — if it is based on the same chemistry as life on Earth.

“We have this stereotype that if we have oceans, we have life,” says Tessa Fisher, a microbial ecologist at Arizona State. But her recent work contradicts this idea. Fisher and her colleagues studied what would happen on an “aqua planet” with a surface that is almost or completely covered by enough water to fill Earth’s oceans five times.

On Earth, rainwater hitting rocks washes phosphorus and other nutrients into the oceans. But without any exposed land, there is no way for phosphorus to enrich water on an aqua planet over time, Fisher reported at the Laramie meeting. There would be no ocean organisms, such as plankton, to build up oxygen in the planet’s atmosphere, she says — making this type of world a terrible place to find life.

Wet blanket
The wettest planets would run into a different sort of trouble, says Cayman Unterborn, a geologist at Arizona State who analysed the planet-wide effects of having as much as 50 Earth oceans’ worth of water. The sheer weight of all that liquid would exert so much pressure on the sea floor that the planet’s interior would not melt at all, Unterborn found.

Planets need at least some internal melting to sustain geological activity, such as plate tectonics, and to provide the right geochemical environment for life. In this case, Unterborn says, “too much water is too much of a good thing.”

Water-rich worlds are easy to make. Many planets are likely to have formed far from their parent star, Tasker says, in chilly temperatures where they could have coalesced from fragments of rock and lots of ice. If such a planet later migrated closer to its star, the ice would melt and cover the surface in vast oceans. Some of the seven small planets orbiting the star TRAPPIST-1, which is 12.6 parsecs (41 light years) from Earth, are thought to have substantial water on their surfaces2.

Instead of instinctively studying such water worlds, Tasker says, astronomers need to think more deeply about how planets have evolved through time. “We need to look carefully at picking the right planet,” she says.

The James Webb Space Telescope is set to launch in 2019. Once in space, the telescope will spend much of its time studying potentially Earth-like worlds. Researchers have already begun to analyse how oxygen, methane or other ‘biosignature’ gases in exoplanet atmospheres might appear to the telescope’s view3.

Towards the end of the Laramie meeting, attendees voted on whether scientists will find evidence of life on an exoplanet by 2040. They were not optimistic: 47 said no and 29 said yes. But a greater share was willing to bet that life would be found on another world in the 2050s or 2060s.

That's presumably enough time to work through the debate over which worlds are the best to target.
Brian Cox estimated one habitable planet per galaxy.

...oh golly gosh... 'Mad Mike Hughes' cancelled his rocket launch to prove that the Earth is flat on Saturday just two days ago ... who woulda thunk it?... he's waiting for 'permits' to fly even though he hasn't officially applied for them by the looks of it... what a twonk!... is he stalling because he's either...

(a) actually too scared to fly that flying bomb that he created or...

(b) that he's too scared to find out that the Earth is not actually flat but is ROUND?...

...he's rescheduling it for today perhaps?... I'll keep you informed of his impending death folks!... from this website below...cheers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...els-rocket-launch-prove-earth-flat/894762001/

'Mad' Mike Hughes cancels rocket launch to prove Earth is flat

USA Today NetworkSherry Barkas, The (Palm Springs, Calif.) Desert Sun Published 2:09 p.m. ET Nov. 25, 2017 | Updated 7:24 a.m. ET Nov. 27, 2017

67447361.jpg

A man who believes Earth is flat, and was ready to launch himself from a rocket in California on Saturday afternoon to prove it, has canceled his plans. At least for now.

Not having the required federal permits plus mechanical problems with his "motorhome/rocket launcher" forced self-taught rocket scientist "Mad" Mike Hughes to put his experiment on hold.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) "told me they would not allow me to do the event ... at least not at that location," Hughes said in a YouTube announcement, amid international attention over his plans to launch into the 'atmosflat.'

"It's been very disappointing," he said.

636469560159925226-AP17324142024265.jpg

In this Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017 photograph, the homemade, steam-powered rocket built by daredevil/limosuine drive Mad Mike Hughes is shown on the property the man leases in Apple Valley, Cal. Hughes plans to launch the rocket Saturday over the ghost town of Amboy, Ca., at a speed of roughly 500 miles-per-hour. (Mad Mike Hughes via AP) (Photo: Mad Mike Hughes/AP)

Hughes is a 61-year-old limo driver who has spent the last few years building a steam-powered rocket out of salvage parts in his garage. His project has cost him $20,000, which includes Rust-Oleum paint to fancy it up and a motor home he bought on Craigslist that he converted into a ramp.

Hughes was set to launch his rocket between 2 and 3 p.m.on Saturday.

Plans had been in the works for more than a year and Hughes said he was initially told by BLM "that it was up to the (Federal Aviation Administration)" to approve the launch. The FAA, Hughes said, told him "We can't honestly approve it, we just know that you are going to do it there."

News of his plans began to spread Monday and gained worldwide attention, which Hughes believes is why BLM began to push for permits.

"My feeling is that one of the top executives at the Bureau of Land Management called Needles, California, saying ... 'What's going on? Who permitted this?'" Hughes said.

Plus, as he and his team were preparing to leave Wednesday, the motorhome/rocket launcher broke down in his driveway, he said.

"We want everyone to please stay tuned," Hughes said, adding he has set up a YouTube page where he will post updates. His plan is to try again next week.

...just a little update on 'Mad Mike Hughes' rocket launch that was rescheduled for Monday this week... um... he didn't do it... no explanation for the delay yet again (his 'Facebook' page is strangely quiet)... but maybe he just decided to live a few days longer perhaps?... getting cold feet are we 'Mad Mike'?... lol!... trust me... I will continue to keep you all informed of his impending suicide mission when it finally happens... I can see it now... "one small step for a Man... one giant splatter on a round Earth"... cheers.

...I just caught this article and am blown away... I'll be staying up tonight to see this that's for sure... I have an App on my phone that shows where this Geminids meteor shower is in the sky... in fact... it shows you where everything to do with Stars and Planets and Constellations are in the sky simply by pointing your phone in any direction whatsoever so it's definitely coming in handy tonight lol!... here is a link to the App if anyone is interested...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.stardroid&hl=en

2017-12-13_20-23-55.jpg

...it is a brilliant App indeed... there are others available but this has always worked for me... and if you like the Star Maps illustrations this App is great too...

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/star-chart/id345542655?mt=8

2017-12-13_20-25-06.jpg

...anyhow... back to this article below... I'm staying up to watch it for sure... from this website below... cheers.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...y/news-story/c3d87cbd855f023820051c1e28e0ab5d

Geminids meteor shower to light up Australian sky
FROM tonight, stargazers will be able to catch the highly anticipated Geminids meteor shower — and local conditions are near perfect.

Nick Whigham
@NWWHIGHAM
c94c784c22e0fad58aafbef7836e0106

news.com.auDecember 13, 20173:45pm

Meteor shower set to dazzle the skies
517946fd7e38c6692faf4202137110c5

IF YOU’RE an avid stargazer, get ready for one of the best shows of the year.

The Geminids meteor shower — the most reliable meteor shower in the southern hemisphere — is upon us again. The annual shower can be seen from Australia between December 13 and December 16. This year’s is predicted to be one of the most dazzling in recent memory as an almost absent moon will ensure that the meteors stand out brightly as they streak across the sky.

“On average, you should see one or two meteors a minute, maybe 90 per hour under really good conditions,” said Robin Scagell, vice-president of the Society for Popular Astronomy.

“Some of the brightest meteors I’ve seen have been Geminids. They move relatively slowly across the sky so are easy to photograph, and you can get one or two fireballs among them.”

But to get the perfect view you’ll need to be dedicated because according to astronomers, the best time to witness the shower is between 3:30am and 4:00am (AEDT) when it is higher above the horizon.

Looking towards the constellation of Orion and the nearby Pleiadies or the “Seven Sisters” star cluster should likely provide the best view, according to experts.

Unlike a majority of meteor showers that are caused by the dust and debris left over from passing comets, the Geminids meteor shower is made up of the debris shed by a weird, rocky asteroid called 3200 Phaethon, which has a comet-like orbit.

The Geminids can be seen from Earth each December when our planet passes through the massive trail of dusty debris shed by 3200 Phaethon.

And if you have a telescope, you’ll also be able to catch a rare glimpse of the rocky object responsible for the show, which is still the subject of debate among scientists.

“Phaethon’s nature is debated,” said Bill Cooke from NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office. “It’s either a near-Earth asteroid or an extinct comet, sometimes called a rock comet.”

Either way, you’ll be able to catch a glimpse of its handiwork over the next couple nights.

...just a little update on 'Mad Mike Hughes' rocket launch that was rescheduled for Monday this week... um... he didn't do it... no explanation for the delay yet again (his 'Facebook' page is strangely quiet)... but maybe he just decided to live a few days longer perhaps?... getting cold feet are we 'Mad Mike'?... lol!... trust me... I will continue to keep you all informed of his impending suicide mission when it finally happens... I can see it now... "one small step for a Man... one giant splatter on a round Earth"... cheers.
have you heard any further updates on this. for some bizarre reason I am now intrigued on what will happen next lol

have you heard any further updates on this. for some bizarre reason I am now intrigued on what will happen next lol

...no not yet Isee... he seems to be a tad bit sheepish at the moment... I don't know whether he is scared of his impending death or is terrified of finally finding out that the Earth is really round lol!... he has stayed silent since November 15th when he abandoned his launch... especially on his FaceBook page lol!... yup!... Mr Jelly Legs has chickened out methinks!... people all around the World... oopsies!... I mean... people all flat on the World must now be laughing at him I reckon lol!... cheers.

...no not yet Isee... he seems to be a tad bit sheepish at the moment... I don't know whether he is scared of his impending death or is terrified of finally finding out that the Earth is really round lol!... he has stayed silent since November 15th when he abandoned his launch... especially on his FaceBook page lol!... yup!... Mr Jelly Legs has chickened out methinks!... people all around the World... oopsies!... I mean... people all flat on the World must now be laughing at him I reckon lol!... cheers.
Wonder if he is related to that couple that threatened divorce when marriage equality happened and then backed down. The "oops I flamingoed up" family

Wonder if he is related to that couple that threatened divorce when marriage equality happened and then backed down. The "oops I flamingoed up" family

...hahaha!... perhaps Isee... perhaps lol!... and... I love that "oops I flamingoed up" reference to Holly on 'Red Dwarf'... lol!... brilliant!... are you a 'Red Dwarf' fan Isee?... Foxtel keep repeating the whole series on a continuous loop on their 'Sci-Fy' channel and I never miss an episode... I have the series linked to record every episode... I never tire of it... in fact... I could probably mouth the words to most episodes as they actually say it if I needed to methinks!... lol!... cheers.

...hahaha!... perhaps Isee... perhaps lol!... and... I love that "oops I flamingoed up" reference to Holly on 'Red Dwarf'... lol!... brilliant!... are you a 'Red Dwarf' fan Isee?... Foxtel keep repeating the whole series on a continuous loop on their 'Sci-Fy' channel and I never miss an episode... I have the series linked to record every episode... I never tire of it... in fact... I could probably mouth the words to most episodes as they actually say it if I needed to methinks!... lol!... cheers.
Huge red dwarf fan Mr s. I have owned all seasons on vhs and DVD. Also have the books. It is also my go to background to have down low on tue the tv in a dark room if I have a maigraine to help me relax and sleep.

...aw crappity crappity crappity crap!... I stayed up until 4:30 to see the Geminids meteor shower and yes you guessed it... bloody clouds!... I was spitting chunks... I guess that I'll give it a go tonight too although I'll check for cloud cover about midnight this time... (it allows for me to have more sleep)... lol!... oh well... bett6er luck tonight I hope!... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
Watching this......

Strange Signals From Outer Space

SBS HD, 8:30pm, Wed, 3 Jan 2018, 65 minutes

For centuries we've looked up at the night sky and wondered; are we alone? We've sent probes to the furthest reaches of the solar system, broadcast messages out into the depths of space, but in all those years we've heard nothing back - until now. In the last few years a mysterious signal from space has shaken astronomy to its core. This is the story of a genuine scientific mystery; the recent discovery, confirmation and on-going attempts to understand the origin of Fast Radio Bursts, enigmatic pulses from deep space that have so-far defied explanation. Taking this story as its spine, Horizon will explore humankind's quest to discover if we're alone in the Universe and our attempts to decode messages from deep space.

2016, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Science & Tech, Society & Culture

Watching this......

Strange Signals From Outer Space

SBS HD, 8:30pm, Wed, 3 Jan 2018, 65 minutes

For centuries we've looked up at the night sky and wondered; are we alone? We've sent probes to the furthest reaches of the solar system, broadcast messages out into the depths of space, but in all those years we've heard nothing back - until now. In the last few years a mysterious signal from space has shaken astronomy to its core. This is the story of a genuine scientific mystery; the recent discovery, confirmation and on-going attempts to understand the origin of Fast Radio Bursts, enigmatic pulses from deep space that have so-far defied explanation. Taking this story as its spine, Horizon will explore humankind's quest to discover if we're alone in the Universe and our attempts to decode messages from deep space.

2016, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Science & Tech, Society & Culture

...I taped this and it was pretty fascinating kxk... I love shows like this... anything to do with Space and Astronomy and I'm in!... lol!... cheers.

Back