Skip to main content

So...Back with "revised format"?

If anything they should get ideas from season 1-3. If it happens and they do a usa similar format, i'd cry and also not watch hahaha. Keep what has made Australia a popular format internationally. I forever see different countries endorsing our format due to its originality and laidback approach. Constant strategy talk and bitching, ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ, USA can fuck right off m8

Tbh, I get the feeling that 9 is clutching at any show these days in hopes of hitting ratings gold (e.g. Celebrity Apprentice and The Block 400x a year) as they've been failing miserably for a while now. I get the feeling that they'll randomly commission another season of BBAU out of a ratings panic and fail to provide it with the decent airtime and live feed it needs and it will flop again...

The show needs to be executed properly, and as history shows, 9 just can't do it. The formula is not difficult at all. Put interesting people from all over Australia into a house and put it on TV 6-7 days a week. Let us get invested for 3 months on the daily happenings in the BB house, instead of having a 3 day gap and shoving 72hrs worth of footage into 40 minutes. It really isn't that hard.

If anything they should get ideas from season 1-3. If it happens and they do a usa similar format, i'd cry and also not watch hahaha. Keep what has made Australia a popular format internationally. I forever see different countries endorsing our format due to its originality and laidback approach. Constant strategy talk and bitching, ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ, USA can fuck right off m8

I agree is prefer it not come back rather then turn into BBUS

Yeah I'm not exactly optimistic at what 'revised format' could mean. Part of Nine's (and Ten's later seasons) problems were that they'd been revising the format for years to the point where it got a bit shit TBH.

I'd be a hell of a lot more intrigued if the whispers were about a return of the 'original format' Big Brother. If we can bring back Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles why can't we being back BB!!

I guess since the rights are expiring for 9, so they'll have to make a decision whether they want another crack or to let it go to market.
Well, their current deal is expiring. They keep renewing it each year so that if they decide they want to bring it back, they can. I have a feeling that they keep several franchise deals going on a yearly basis for revival purposes - it's why they've been able to quickly bring back shows like Australia's Got Talent and Celebrity Apprentice with impressive speed - they already had the rights, so no negotiations were needed. Adding to this is the fact that every year we keep hearing that the Big Brother rights expire "soon".

Didn't they also have like a strategy room in 2014? I remember they used that but seemed to abandon the concept after a couple of weeks.
They used the "Power Room" as a strategy room as a one off in week 2 when Dion and Jason were the Heads of House (and they got to select another pair to join them) to decide which two pairs they would break-up and switch.

Well, their current deal is expiring. They keep renewing it each year so that if they decide they want to bring it back, they can. I have a feeling that they keep several franchise deals going on a yearly basis for revival purposes - it's why they've been able to quickly bring back shows like Australia's Got Talent and Celebrity Apprentice with impressive speed - they already had the rights, so no negotiations were needed. Adding to this is the fact that every year we keep hearing that the Big Brother rights expire "soon".

They used the "Power Room" as a strategy room as a one off in week 2 when Dion and Jason were the Heads of House (and they got to select another pair to join them) to decide which two pairs they would break-up and switch.

Ah ok. Thank you. I remember it was kind of a useless power play considering the pair concept started slowly drifting apart like wood on a river.

Getting back to the topic, I can easily see Nine getting a raging boner for a USA-format show.

Given they've managed to to turn a show about renovation in a complete bitch-fest, with constant moaning and backstabbing - bringing in a format that basically requires all this without much/any producer/network interference would definitely make lives easier for all of those involved. Fuck, we might actually see an accurate representation of what goes on in there for the first time on Nine...

Getting back to the topic, I can easily see Nine getting a raging boner for a USA-format show.

Given they've managed to to turn a show about renovation in a complete bitch-fest, with constant moaning and backstabbing - bringing in a format that basically requires all this without much/any producer/network interference would definitely make lives easier for all of those involved. Fuck, we might actually see an accurate representation of what goes on in there for the first time on Nine...

God I hope not. I've tried and failed a couple of times to get into the US format with no success. That being said I'd watch it only because I could follow along with you guys here.

Nien loves the US Bachelor atm on 9Life - they've been flogging it through The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Bachelor in Paradise with "same day as the US" - it's been on loop for probably 6 months now. That is endless bitching and backstabbing and Nien seems to be loving it. I think you are onto something.

God I hope not. I've tried and failed a couple of times to get into the US format with no success. That being said I'd watch it only because I could follow along with you guys here.

Have you been following this current season of BBUS, Consuela?

Nine is legitimately stupid enough to do a BBUS format and disregard an entire BBAU community, so @Rison yeah you are pretty much right. If they contractually provide Endemol with the task of live streaming with an increased licensing price i'd be happy. The only thing stopping them (The Networks) in my eyes is obviously the budget and sponsors. Unfortunately big brother costs a lot to produce and license but hey you can easily cheapen it but hey risk a 2014 abysmal trainwreck. If I was them i'd literally copy big brother season 1 and the house doesn't have to be fucking massively luxury. Just give us the classic social experiment with at least a house, 7 days a week coverage and hey you'll please everyone.

If survivor is a big hit for 10, perhaps 9 would consider a US Style BB.
I've always thought it seemed more like survivor in a house rather then BB

All these rumours and this talk makes me happy :)

Nine is legitimately stupid enough to do a BBUS format and disregard an entire BBAU community, so @Rison yeah you are pretty much right. If they contractually provide Endemol with the task of live streaming with an increased licensing price i'd be happy. The only thing stopping them (The Networks) in my eyes is obviously the budget and sponsors. Unfortunately big brother costs a lot to produce and license but hey you can easily cheapen it but hey risk a 2014 abysmal trainwreck. If I was them i'd literally copy big brother season 1 and the house doesn't have to be fucking massively luxury. Just give us the classic social experiment with at least a house, 7 days a week coverage and hey you'll please everyone.

When have nine ever cared about the BBAU community?

As a fan, naturally I'd love Big Brother back - whatever the form may be. But quite frankly, I would prefer it stay dead if it's Nine who intend on bringing it back. If Ten considered it (not that I see it happening any time soon), I have every faith that they'd do the franchise justice, however obviously their reality TV quota is pretty full for a long while now and I just don't see it slotting in against already similar shows like I'm A Celebrity and Survivor.

Nine can't (and shouldn't) do reality TV, full stop. Their true intentions behind why they produce shows and how they execute them has become very, very clear. If Nine were indeed desperate enough to revive Big Brother a third time (and at this point I'd hardly be surprised), it'd be a lost cause from the get-go... I'd have zero hope of it actually succeeding, let alone doing the franchise/fans any justice.

I'm not trying to be negative but the proof is in the pudding.

Back