Skip to main content

Married at First Sight

misspuddingface

My centre of gravity sucks...
Multiple site donor
Awesome site donor
Commences tonight!

I don't usually watch matchmaker shows like this, or Batchelor/Bachelorette etc. but I am interested in this one. If Ch9 does justice to it, and doesn't over edit it, I think it could be quite interesting.

I'd like to see if science and match making can work and I would also like to see the drama and dysfunctional side that would naturally come with being paired up with a random.

Oh, it was just getting interesting with bridezilla and then they drop the not a real wedding bombshell. I'm out.

There was an article a monthish ago reassuring people it wasn't a real marriage as there were petitions upon petitions whinging about the show. Apparently the show wasn't taking 'marriage' seriously in an age where divorce is commonplace blabla.

I thought there were interesting choices... Bridezilla was hilarious to watch, couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for the farmer boy.

... I wish it wasn't just once a week.. I have a tendency to get distracted and forget about shows if it's not constant but I do want to watch all 9 eps.

Does anyone know of there will be an encore played sometime this week?

I don't think I will commit to this show but I'd be curious to have a look.

I think the main issue people had was that Australia has a looong way to go with marriage equality and the concept of this show made a slight mockery of this, but it's not a legal marriage so that surely helps things a little.

So is the marriage part just a novelty factor and it's really just another dating show?

I think the main issue people had was that Australia has a looong way to go with marriage equality and the concept of this show made a slight mockery of this, but it's not a legal marriage so that surely helps things a little.

So is the marriage part just a novelty factor and it's really just another dating show?
It's a slight modification of Chains of Love with only two people, it seems, with Farmer wants a Wife production values and style.

Encore tonight at 9.40pm after Love Child.

It's a slight modification of Chains of Love with only two people, it seems, with Farmer wants a Wife production values and style.
There is going to more couples added next week...

The Farmer dude should've gone on Farmer wants a Wife! Lol.. I thought he was very sweet and genuine in a slow, laid back kind of way.

There is going to more couples added next week...

The Farmer dude should've gone on Farmer wants a Wife! Lol.. I thought he was very sweet and genuine in a slow, laid back kind of way.
Clare is a keen amateur theatre actress. Hmmm...and a bridezilla, at a mock wedding.

Is this show like a game show thing where contestants have to work out if two people are married or not? And they only get like three seconds to look at the two people?

I am boycotting this for this reason, funny how the media are handling it too, the guy Im seeing works in media, and wrote a piece about it, saying the above, and media outlets deemed it "too heavy"

I am boycotting this for this reason, funny how the media are handling it too, the guy Im seeing works in media, and wrote a piece about it, saying the above, and media outlets deemed it "too heavy"
Is Penny Wong seen as a complete letdown on this front? There might not be a better opportunity for gay marriage than she had while the Greens held the balance of power and she was either leader or deputy leader of the Senate. She chose token and spineless lip service on Q&A, but did zero politically. As a bare believer in straight marriage, it's hard to get excited about gay marriage when Penny earned hundreds of thousands of dollars to deliver a whole bag of platitudinous nothing. The opportunity was back then. Abbott won't even broach the subject.

Of course they did.

:rolleyes:

Is Penny Wong seen as a complete letdown on this front? There might not be a better opportunity for gay marriage than she had while the Greens held the balance of power and she was either leader or deputy leader of the Senate. She chose token and spineless lip service on Q&A, but did zero politically. As a bare believer in straight marriage, it's hard to get excited about gay marriage when Penny earned hundreds of thousands of dollars to deliver a whole bag of platitudinous nothing. The opportunity was back then. Abbott won't even broach the subject.

They're all a bit of a let down. To be honest though the reality was there was never going to be the numbers to pass it back then. It's a matter of when not if now.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me sadly. I watched less than half the encore episode mostly to see if/how they addressed the issue and whilei certainly wasn't expecting any statement being made I was pleasantly surprised to see them at least acknowledging on the show that the marriage was 100% not real and the wedding was treated more as a commitment ceremony and in fairly good humour.

I made a brief attempt at planning a commitment ceremony myself before giving up, so technically these 2 strangers have as much right as anyone else. It's still such a weird concept for a show and generally disrespectful and tacky.

Marriage equality is definitely closer than ever before though, so that's a plus.

Australia pretends to be a plural and egalitarian society, but Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott use the words 'Working Families' in every second sentence. Australia also popularly votes to power the Family First party, presumably AKA Singles Last. I can't see why living circumstance should not be added to anti vilification and anti discriminatory legislation and policed, as exactly the same policies would be apartheid, if based on race rather than living circumstance. If a politician uses the term Working Singles to target government spending, I will stand humbly corrected.

to much connection with church and state in this country for it to happen right now, if a public referendum was allowed, it would be past

to much connection with church and state in this country for it to happen right now, if a public referendum was allowed, it would be past

Yeah I think you may be right.

I'm looking to leave this silly country anyway to get some semblance of a legal marriage, but really there's not much point anyway since they won't recognise it when I come home.

Anyway, sorry, I've needlessly derailed this thread.

Back