Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

I watched Mommie Dearest again. The Mulholland Drive which I think I have figured out now! Oh and "300" which is one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Is that Mulholland Drive or Mulholland Falls? I couldn't figure it out, anyway. And it's another NZ director I think, which would explain it's dark cloud ha ha!!

Mulholland Drive, the David Lynch mind-bender! I wrote an explanation to myself afterwards figuring it all out, and in the end it really makes sense. I understand it more and more each time I see it. When I first saw it I was just like... "huh?"

Didn't you like it? I saw that a few years ago and didn't expect much. But it was surpisingly good, gripping, and even stomach churning in parts.

:D

Oh, maybe it's just Ashton that bugs me. I like time travel stories, the whole concept of looping back (and forward) is really intriguing but there were too many corny scenes in this for me. Like when he arrives with no arms and no legs. And why didn't he just throw the dynamite away?

I hate the scene where they shove the dog into a bag and set it on fire :( I wish I could delete it from the movie and just watch the rest lol.

There's a movie I'm really looking forward to, called Grindhouse. It's 2 films in one. One is by Quentin Tarantino and the other is by Robert Rodriguez. It's far-fetched 70's-style, looks like Sin City mixed with The Devil's Rejects. Ultra-violence, car-chases, zombies, hot chicks with machine guns, even a scene with a missing film reel (it's old drive-in style), it looks great. It even has (apparently hilarious) fake ads between the movies.

Mulholland Drive, the David Lynch mind-bender! I wrote an explanation to myself afterwards figuring it all out, and in the end it really makes sense. I understand it more and more each time I see it. When I first saw it I was just like... "huh?"

Mulholland Drive is arguably the greatest film I've seen so far depending on what mood I'm in. I don't think there's a definitve unanimous answer as to what the movies "meaning" is suppose to be, is open to various interpretations. And the lesbian scene that came right out of left field right smack in the middle of the movie wasn't too shabby either, it just added to the mystique of the movie. :D And to think this film was originally intended to be a series of some sort. :eek: Thank goodness that never eventuated. Phewww!

I know, it has all sorts of metaphors used in the dream that represented events in the real world. And when they were crying at Club Silencio they realised it was a dream and that the blue key signified that Camilla was actually dead in the real universe and that Diane was about to awaken which is why she started convulsing.
The lesbian thing was good, it made sense. Only problem is the first half of the movie means nothing until you've seen the second half; hence you don't know what the movie is about until you go back over the events in the first half afterwards and puzzle it together... I love movies that make for good talk afterwards... not many like them anymore :(
I wonder if Inland Empire is any good?

I know, it has all sorts of metaphors used in the dream that represented events in the real world. And when they were crying at Club Silencio they realised it was a dream and that the blue key signified that Camilla was actually dead in the real universe and that Diane was about to awaken which is why she started convulsing.
The lesbian thing was good, it made sense. Only problem is the first half of the movie means nothing until you've seen the second half; hence you don't know what the movie is about until you go back over the events in the first half afterwards and puzzle it together... I love movies that make for good talk afterwards... not many like them anymore :(

Which of these theories are the closest to your interpretation of MD?

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/theories.htm

This is movie is eerily spooky in a mysterious subtle way, specially in the last scene where it ends with a woman whispering "silencio". That scene was stuck in my head for a of few nights afterwards.

I wonder if Inland Empire is any good?

MD is the on DL movie I've seen so far. I haven't actively searched for his other movies, hopefully I'd get around to them some day.

Yes, I saw Mulholland Drive about 5 years ago.....and hated it.

Couldn't work it out at all. But it was just bad.

He's a bit hit and miss, David Lynch. I liked "Eraserhead", "Twin Peaks" et al.

I'm into scary movies, and I keep seeing shorts for "Disturbia" at the gym. So hopefully will get to see that soon. It looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
watched Withnail & I for the first time in many, many years......I'd forgotten what a great laugh it is!

"Whitnail and I"

That's a bit like that other soap opera starring a washed up Carlton player who's in a legal stoush with his brother.

;)

Yes, I saw Mulholland Drive about 5 years ago.....and hated it.

Couldn't work it out at all. But it was just bad.

It's okay GB, don't feel bad. Movies where you actually have to use your brain, and not expect the director to spell everything out like any dumb hollywood blockbuster, are not for everybody. It's quite understandble. :cool:

That's ok, I'm more of your arthouse cinema / film festival goer, than say, a blockbuster / multiplex goer. But I'm not inflexible about it.

So when are we going to the movies?

Last movie i saw was "Becoming Jane" about Jane Austen. They made it just like all the movies I have seen of her books. I was disappointed with this as i thought it would be a realistic portrayal of her life. It was like watching all her books rolled into one movie. Good but I don't think very realistic.

Relative Strangers

I saw this last night on DVD.. It was quite funny, Danny Devito & Kathy Bates are great in it! and good to see Neve Campbell back too!

Don't think it's a brilliant film or look for meaning in it just watch it for what it is an OTT comedy and you will be laughing your arse off like I did!

Oh and it's only rental too atm :(

Went adn saw 300 last night and I for one loved it. It's definately one of those either love it or hate it films but i was mesmerised from the moment it started.I chickend out from seeing Disturbia by myself so i'm going to see that this week in the company of others ;)

Casablanca.

Decent movie! ;)

Next on the list to watch: Taxi Driver, South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut

Back