Skip to main content

I'm A Celebrity! AU (2015) - News articles

Article from Chrissie, written before she went into the jungle:

Chrissie Swan on why she left her kids to go into the jungle for I’m a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!
February 06, 2015 9:00PM
by: Chrissie Swan

IF you are reading this, it means I am living in the South African bush with a bunch of people I had never met. Now there’s a sentence I never thought I’d write! I’m on location in Africa filming a TV show for Channel 10.

You should watch it. I’m pretty funny when I’m FREAKING OUT.

When the show was first mooted, I ran it past my fella The Chippie and he confessed that there’s actually nothing funnier than me frightened.

Last month, a bird flew into our house and even though The Chippie wanted to help, he was laughing too hard at the sounds I was making as I pranced around the house with a mop handle begging the Indian myna to spare the lives of me and my children.

Speaking of children, I’ve obviously left them at home. This has been the topic of most of the interviews surrounding the show because HOW COULD I?

I won’t lie to you, it was the biggest and hardest decision I’ve had to make in a long while. Not because I think they can’t live without me, but because for a long while I thought I wouldn’t be able to live without them.

I spoke to a counsellor. I’ve never done that before and I totally recommend it. She just put it all into perspective for me. What she did was brush away the rubbish from the truth lying underneath, like a skilful emotional archaeologist.

After I’d spoken to her, I realised as a working mother and breadwinner, I’d been excavating this situation for quite some time. She actually didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know.

I have worked throughout all my pregnancies and had a maximum of six weeks’ maternity leave with each child.

I work. That’s what I do. That’s what millions of Australian women do, too. That’s our family model and it runs beautifully.

My children are outrageously beloved and confident. They are quick to laugh and look people in the eye. They are living the dream, my friends.

They are also set to eat a lot of lasagne and homemade flathead fillet fish fingers because I spent the last month before departure filling that freezer like a deranged serial killer/zip-lock bag addict.

Every gesture, every plan, every sprinkling of mozzarella between layers of lasagne made me feel better about going.

I organised a weekly fruit and veg delivery, mangoes, blueberries and cobs of corn feature prominently.

On Tuesday mornings, there will be milk and bread and two kilos of natural yoghurt at the front gate.

I bought seven packets of that RunAway stuff to miraculously right all my partner’s unintentional laundry wrongs.

As a laundry fanatic I truly do worry about those white school shirts, but I really do need to get a grip.

The school shoes and new sandwich savers were purchased. Bills were paid. The cars were organised to be serviced. As you can see, I spent an inordinate amount of energy to ensure the household ran smoothly.

All that was left for my fella to do was marshal the troops! And remember … he’s their FATHER, I told myself. It’s not like I’m tying them to the Hills Hoist with a bowl of water and a chew toy for a couple of weeks.

But what to do with the Mum-shaped hole that would be left when I went?

Easy. Grandma! My mother has essentially moved into my house. She will do all the things I did, like allow the children to use her as a giant beanbag, read Flat Stanley at bedtime. Six times. And stroke my three-year-old’s head until he falls asleep.

As I undertake the bravest thing I’ve done in a long while, I will rest my head among the
scorpions knowing my children are having the time of their lives.

I actually remember with great fondness the times my mother went overseas and the ramshackle fun that was had in her absence. Bacon and eggs for dinner just because. Late nights watching The Don Lane Show because Dad couldn’t be stuffed forcing the issue.

After-school playtime with my new school friends with swimming and burgers on the barbecue on a school night.

It’s an adventure for them, too. And they’ll be making just as many memories as I will. We are all very fortunate.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t-me-out-of-here/story-e6frfmyi-1227209318409

...Channel 9 will be shitting themselves with that news... isn't 'The Block' their flagship program?... cheers

Yeah, 9 is in love with The Block. I think a big reason for last years crappy treatment of big brother was because they wanted the block basically all year round.

I was catching up on reading my local papers before and found this from January 27:

6gk9sm.jpg

Back