Skip to main content

I am beginning to think Lina considers Australians to be beneath her.....

Georgygirl

The reason I say this for a few reasons...... After hearing her describe her upbringing in China and the difference in cultures. She mentioned her distaste of the boys ribald humour. Now that arked me up because she seemed to claim that was a cultural difference.....It isn't at all.....It is a personal preference and there are many Australians who think the same way without having been raised elsewhere....So far I don't see that any of her criticisms are exclusive to being born in China.
Does she respect Priya more because she is also Asian?
And I don't see the point in criticizing others because they don't want to have deep and heavy conversations all the time.
The chat she had with Skye while doing the Christmas challenge was unnecessary. She doesn't seem to understand that different does not mean wrong.
I actually agree with most things she has to say, and at first I found her intriguing and interesting....But it has become a little too "preachy" and self righteous.

I don't think it matters - she will be long gone from our minds in a few days.

I have to disagree with this. Lina is simply drawing comparisons between her upbringing and others. It's no different to a comparison made between a rich/poor upbringing. There's been no evidence to suggest she thinks Australians are beneath her.

If she started flinging around racist comments, that would be a different story.

As for Mikkayla, if I recall correctly she was born here, or grew up in an Aussie family, so for her Asian culture would be different.

And I don't see the point in criticizing others

Well babes you're doing it right now.

We get it, you have a different personality type to Lina. You like to keep things casual while Lina likes to be meaningful. That isn't Lina thinking people are below her, it's you having bitchy tall poppy syndrome.

Build a bridge.

I didn't think Lina was saying Chinese culture was superior. I think she was just talking about cultural differences because it is interesting (to me at least. Probably not to Skye). What she was saying about a chinese culture is true. Most Asian cultures are far less individualistic than western cultures.

As far as Lina being too prudish, it is hard to say. Channel 9 had not shown any relevant footage so it is impossible to judge whether the humour was too far in the gutter.

Lina's like the anti-Mikkayla.

Lina is all about Asian culture and being Asian, whilst Mikkayla was about being Australian and hating her Asian roots.

Can you refresh my memory?
What did Mikkayla dislike about her Asian roots?

I think Tina does appreciate Australia, infact I don't think she considers Australia to be beneath her. She just toured here this year, and she also performs on many Australian tv shows. So I'm not really sure why you feel that Tina thinks Australia is beneath her.

Do you think Lina will give a live performance the night she is evicted/wins?

If so, which song?

I don't think she considers Australian's beneath her but she does seem to be very uptight.
I've watched all the eps this year but from what I can gather she's said she only lived there until a year old (If someone can confirm that, it'd be great) so I find the whole 'In China...' this and that odd....

I have to disagree with this. Lina is simply drawing comparisons between her upbringing and others. It's no different to a comparison made between a rich/poor upbringing. There's been no evidence to suggest she thinks Australians are beneath her.

If she started flinging around racist comments, that would be a different story.

As for Mikkayla, if I recall correctly she was born here, or grew up in an Aussie family, so for her Asian culture would be different.
I think it would be hard/strange for anyone who grew up in a different country to become customised to a new culture. It's not something you can change or adapt to straight away. My parents are European and have been here for over 30 years and still struggle with some Australian things but they have learnt to adapt.

I'm sure it would be the same if any of us moved to an Asian country after being raised in Australia - huge cultural shock.

I don't think she considers Australian's beneath her but she does seem to be very uptight.
I've watched all the eps this year but from what I can gather she's said she only lived there until a year old (If someone can confirm that, it'd be great) so I find the whole 'In China...' this and that odd....

It would be interesting to hear from someone who speaks Chinese as a first language how good Lina's Chinese was. It is hard to judge but she has very Aussie accent.

She seems more Aussie than Chinese (and I don't think she has claimed otherwise, just that she is influenced by and conscious of her Chinese heritage).

She said they came after Tianamen Square in 1989. She said she attended kindergarten there so she must have been around 5 when she left.

Back