Skip to main content

How should auditions be conducted?

How should the auditions be conducted?

• Total voters

bb-06

I'm unsure how auditions will be conducted this year. In my eyes, they could return to the original format of sending in video auditions(BB1-BB4), holding live auditions (BB5-BB7), or holding online video auditions (BB8).

I think the benefit of online auditions is that there is some audience involvement from the beggining, so they can better string people along and create hype. The problem in 2008 was that a lot of the housemates did not end up coming from the online audition tapes.

How do you think they should conduct the auditions?

I think it is a certainty that the producers will have already targeted a few people who have auditioned for other reality shows, as suitable housemates for BB. I'm also hoping they use Facebook and Twitter to source possible contestants.

That raises an interesting idea, because recruiting housemates off of social networking sites sound groan-worthy, but there's a lot of people who wouldn't really take the time out of their schedule to apply but if they knew they were in with a chance ("Thanks for 'liking' us, we'd like you to audition"), they might continue with the process. You're less likely to get fame whores this way, I think.

I wouldn't mind them going overseas too. Maybe the British BB rejects, or audition in New Zealand.

As long as they're quality HM's, I don't care how or where they source them from.

Kidnapping! :D

Online I think is best for the first stage - I actually think BB Aus got the online process spot on when they did it a few years ago, it's just the not actually selecting anyone to go in which was a problem.

Speaking of social networking, I just read this article:-

The future of TV is bright thanks to Twitter says a recent article in the Guardian.
But how can this online still somewhat niche social media tool come to the rescue for TV you may ask. After all, TV is a mass medium, loved by all generations and watched around the globe right?

Well, event TV has been in some sort of trouble for a while actually with the rise of on demand and online TV. Why watch regular TV when you can record your fav shows and watch them when you want? This flexibility in viewing habits has two consequences:

• For us marketers it is no secret that TV advertising is becoming more expensive and fragmented meaning it is a lot dearer to reach the target audience

• The target audience in turn is tuning out increasingly while watching (bad)TV and finds it quite okay to check Facebook, emails or tweet with others about what they are watching
So how does Twitter save TV again then?

Okay so the theory is that bad TV programs (Big Brother, Australia’s Got Talent, It’s a Knockout and other quality shows) would not be as popular or last that long if you could not discuss the cringe-worthy moments of these shows with fellow Twitter users. The Guardian phrases it like this: “If the half decent programs could not be shared, would they even be worth watching?”

Furthermore, Twitter is awfully quiet when quality drama or documentaries are on supporting this theory. After all, people still prefer following a story than each other.

via http://www.guardian.co.uk/

How Twitter saved event TV

We used to gather round the office watercooler to discuss the previous night's telly. Now, tweeting offers the most immediate means of sharing our excitement.

Source: The Guardian read @
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/18/how-twitter-saved-event-tv?CMP=twt_gu

I wouldn't mind them going overseas too. Maybe the British BB rejects, or audition in New Zealand.

Amen to that, no famewhores please. Recruiting overseas hms can hopefully the reduce the chances of attracting the type that wants to use BB as a stepping to a career in the 'media'.

Having said that a little bit of eye candy shouldn't hurt, particularly of the female persuasion. ;)

Live is the best way to go, either way people are going to be putting on acts to be entertaining, controversial, sexy or whatever their gimmick is. What worries me is that the people doing the casting wont see through the bullshit like some other years and we have a house full of people who just wanted to be on the telly.

Mailing in audition tapes and online video auditions amount to the same thing, "video auditions".

The poll should only have had two choices: Video auditions vs Live auditions.

A mixture of open-call auditions and video uploads. I like how BBUK is fast tracking select individuals who upload videos. I also don't mind if they cast a few people privately as long as they are interesting characters and aren't just in the house to further their personal career goals.

I'm unsure how auditions will be conducted this year. In my eyes, they could return to the original format of sending in video auditions(BB1-BB4), holding live auditions (BB5-BB7), or holding online video auditions (BB8).

I think the benefit of online auditions is that there is some audience involvement from the beggining, so they can better string people along and create hype. The problem in 2008 was that a lot of the housemates did not end up coming from the online audition tapes.

How do you think they should conduct the auditions?

If I remember correctly, there were only three people chosen from the online auditions. The most popular guy (according to the producers) only did it to promote his rock group and was only on the show for a couple of days before he left for a tour date on stage. Of the many who put a lot of effort into their online auditions, they received nothing!! If was as if the producers were totally ignoring them and using them as fame whores just to get people to come to the web site and vote to keep up a higher level of interest. Then they go and get real fame whores and put them on the show. Alice was the only "real" person IMO who actually got on the show and I don't remember seeing her audition tape anywhere on the website. Then they really insulted our inteligence and put Terri on the show and tried to make us believe that she actually won. There was no way that she won!!

As for another comment about people taking time out of their busy schedules to show up for a live audition, that is the purpose of a live audition. It shows who has the time available to commit to the show and the desire to put youself out there. This is the type of person we want to see on Big Brother. I realise that you get a lot of "fame whores" this way but sometimes they are the ones who make for the best show. They are willing to put themselves in crazy situations that make for good TV!!

So bring on the LIVE auditions!!!!:):)

Of the group audition that I went to in '08, a good majority had submitted online videos. I remembered a few by face, others I hadn't seen but found when I went home that night.

It was frustrating seeing who they put in the house. They could have easily pulled a full cast from the 30 or so from my audition day and it would have been 10x more interesting that the drones they put in the house. There were a couple of media whores in the pack and a couple of people who I question why they even bothered to apply let alone get an invite (one person in particular has no interest in it whatsoever and sat in the corner on her own when she didn't "have" to be with the group she was assigned to), and a few people who were obvious attempts at typecasting (a dwarf, a couple of grandmas, a stripper, an outrageous gay guy etc).

The downfall was that they were obviously more interested in picking characters instead of personalities. There's a crucial difference, and it's exactly why I don't like the idea of recruiting (recruiting is looking for pre-imagined characters/archetypes, casting is about unearthing something for what it is). The funny part was that the psychologist (Carmen? Curly red hair and a lisp...) clearly gravitated towards the people who weren't busy grabbing for attention. I guess she didn't get much say in things.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to see though. I like watching people who don't blend into the back but don't go screaming for attention. There's a normality to them, something relatable, but there's parts that set them apart. And I don't like manufactured drama. I prefer something situation (BB1-4) versus something fabricated (BB5-8).

hey sir spankalot, i was at the sydney auditions and my video was on the front pages of the website at that time, I got a one on one wit producers but I wasnt fame whorish enough to get on just someone with an interesting story rather than playing a stereotype (which is something i didnt want to do) in the end i was glad i didnt get in as THE LAST SERIES of BB IMO was so lacklusture i would have been ashamed to be in a house with such a bunch of imobsiles.

I think auditions should always be conducted live with people turning up at venues and being culled for the 2nd stage. And also those who send in a video whether online or by mail before the auditions getting fast tracked to the 2nd stage. It is important for video entries because not everyone can get to a venue in capital cities and might not go unless they have a reasonable chance of winning a spot, ie getting fast tracked to the 2nd stage for sending in a video. :)

I agree. There's only so much you can fake face-to-face, but there should be a back-up option for rural/regional folk.

mysterygirl, I was the same, and I cottoned on to what they were doing when they started pulling the groups in one of the back rooms for little interview sessions. The questions they were asking were ridiculous, and obvious attempts at boiling everyone down to the broadest, dumbest stereotype.

hey sir spankalot, i was at the sydney auditions and my video was on the front pages of the website at that time, I got a one on one wit producers but I wasnt fame whorish enough to get on just someone with an interesting story rather than playing a stereotype (which is something i didnt want to do) in the end i was glad i didnt get in as THE LAST SERIES of BB IMO was so lacklusture i would have been ashamed to be in a house with such a bunch of imobsiles.

hello mysterygirl :) I remember you. You pmed me about your audition LOL. good to see you

Back